SWFA left me feeling bittersweet

It's no secret that I like the SWFA line of scopes, so naturally I was excited to hear about the SWFA Tax Day last week. I'm a long-time fan of the 3-15x42 FFP scope but I wanted something with a bit more magnification to use for longer distance target shooting. And there it was lurking at the bottom of the page an SWFA SS HD 5-20x50.

I placed my order and 2 days later it was sitting on my front porch. Boy was I excited! I pulled it out of the box and gave it a once over. Everything was perfect until I came to the parallax dial. The numbers read 50y to infinity. Wait a second... their website clearly says 35y to infinity? This was a major selling point for me. I took it out to my range and sure enough it would not focus below 50y. Dammit, what a disappointment because the glass on this scope is REALLY nice.

Just got an RMA # and its on its way back to SWFA.

Hence the bittersweet feeling. ;(

"Olevey"Hey Michael from a glass quality perspective how does that SWFA compare to a similar price Hawke?

I could be mistaken, but I think Hawke only makes 1 scope with "ED" glass. I didn't mount the SWFA HD so i couldn't put it thru its paces. Regular SWFA glass is good, their HD (ED) glass is even brighter & better. 

"Bizill"You guys are bad asses to be able to put that scope on an AG. I got the same with illuminated reticle on my .308 Armalite. With the .308 one doesn't need to really go under 50 yards but for AG, yes. I'll have to see if mine is 50 as well. I bought it years ago and haven't had much time behind it.

I tend to put the nicest glass on the guns I use the most! 

I dont know if you all noticed but Sig Sauer Tango6 line has a few FFP scopes (if that's your thing) and SFP. Theses are made in Japan as I understand it (Tango 4-Philippines). The 4-18x 44mm catches my eye. They run $1699 for the 2016 models without LevelPlex (level built into reticle, has two lightup indicators if it's off cant.) The new 2017 models are looking over $2,000 that have LevelPlex. It goes to 25 yards.

All have claimed HD glass with high transmission light and all the yummy bits fancy scopes speak of. Plus a super awesome warranty also like that of Athlon, Bushnell and most others now. I am itching to try one out. The weight seems to be well over 8oz more than a similar scope. The one mainstream, well written review gave the 18x model a thumbs up. I am not sure if I'm allowed to post that link.

Anyway, just saying, other fish in the sea.

Yeah, I was thinking just that as I was typing my previous response. I'm just weird in the fact that once I got things dialed in I don't like to mess with them at all. I'd assume rather get a new gun if I want to tweak and try new things. Of course I say this as my .308 has sat in the safe for over 8 years unused! LOL. I'm a tool. Yeah, perhaps I should have snatched my SWFA HD scope and slapped it on the Taipan but I always think I'm gonna need that .308 someday and fear I wouldn't have time to switch scopes and re-sight or anything. Remnants of past "prepper" mentality, I suppose.

I have had my eye on that specific IOR scope (no pun intended) for a couple years but I have a preference for Mil/Mil scopes. Only other downside is their beefy 35mm tube and 34oz weight. The German Schott glass they use is very good tier one level glass. Your posting prompted me to go back to IOR website and I found that they just released a new version of the Spyder in Mil/Mil. http://www.valdada.com/9-36x44-35mm-spyder-ffp-mil-mil-mp-8-xtreme-x1-illum/

They offer a couple other scopes that focus down to "25ft" that are incredibly well built like the 3-25x50 TX Raider (called Lutaz in other markets) that are equally interesting. http://www.valdada.com/3-25x50-35mm-tx-raider-tactical-ffp-mil-mil/

Given their bomb proof construction and corresponding weight - I'm more likely to use them for long distance powder burning but it would be fun to swap one onto a bench heavy airgun like a RAW HMX1000 .30 LRT for fun.

"Mick-VA"I have had my eye on that specific IOR scope (no pun intended) for a couple years but I have a preference for Mil/Mil scopes. Only other downside is their beefy 35mm tube and 34oz weight. The German Schott glass they use is very good tier one level glass. Your posting prompted me to go back to IOR website and I found that they just released a new version of the Spyder in Mil/Mil. http://www.valdada.com/9-36x44-35mm-spyder-ffp-mil-mil-mp-8-xtreme-x1-illum/

They offer a couple other scopes that focus down to "25ft" that are incredibly well built like the 3-25x50 TX Raider (called Lutaz in other markets) that are equally interesting. http://www.valdada.com/3-25x50-35mm-tx-raider-tactical-ffp-mil-mil/

Given their bomb proof construction and corresponding weight - I'm more likely to use them for long distance powder burning but it would be fun to swap one onto a bench heavy airgun like a RAW HMX1000 .30 LRT for fun.
My M-1 may not be light, but she is built like a tank! That and the glass, I find the weight easily acceptable. 

"DuncanHynes"I dont know if you all noticed but Sig Sauer Tango6 line has a few FFP scopes (if that's your thing) and SFP. Theses are made in Japan as I understand it (Tango 4-Philippines). The 4-18x 44mm catches my eye. They run $1699 for the 2016 models without LevelPlex (level built into reticle, has two lightup indicators if it's off cant.) The new 2017 models are looking over $2,000 that have LevelPlex. It goes to 25 yards.

All have claimed HD glass with high transmission light and all the yummy bits fancy scopes speak of. Plus a super awesome warranty also like that of Athlon, Bushnell and most others now. I am itching to try one out. The weight seems to be well over 8oz more than a similar scope. The one mainstream, well written review gave the 18x model a thumbs up. I am not sure if I'm allowed to post that link.

Anyway, just saying, other fish in the sea.
I have the Sig Tango6 3-18x44 FFP with MRAD Milling Reticle and it's a terrific scope. Mine is the first generation model which has a 30mm tube (Model #63002). Optics Planet is currently selling my scope for $1299. They are selling the same scope in Second Focal plane for just $799!! That is a steal of a deal for a scope of this quality.

Sig just released the new version which now has a 34mm tube and their LevelPlex Digital Anti-Cant System that utilizes an integrated digital level with user selectable reticle cant detection at +/-0.5° or +/-1.0° sensitivity.

Sig Tango6 3-18x44 Rifle Scope
  • 30mm tube
  • Both (FFP) first focal plane and Second Focal Plane (SFP) models available with multiple, illuminated reticle options
  • HDX™ optics extra-low dispersion glass (LD) combined with high transmittance glass (HT)
  • MOTAC™ (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not
  • Waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance
  • T120 Tactical Turrets with 120 clicks per rotation (12 MRAD or 30 MOA)
  • LockDown™ Zero System on the TANGO6 features a resettable zero, zero-stop and is lockable at any location
  • FREE SBT (SIG Ballistic Turret) custom lasered elevation dial calibrated to your unique ballistics and environmental conditions.
The new generation Tango6 adds the following:
  • LevelPlex Digital Anti-Cant System utilizes an integrated digital level with user selectable reticle cant detection at +/-0.5° or +/-1.0° sensitivity.
  • 34mm tube
Here is a pic of my Sig Sauer Tango6 (Model 63002) mounted on my FN SCAR 17.

b062f8680dd2196459e619878a49a5fa.jpg