• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SWFA 16 Power

I’ve considered going to a fixed power 16 for Hunter class. The SWFA seems to check my required boxes for reticle, weight etc. But, I’m a little leary of the parallax adjustment on the scope tube. If I’m interpreting the photos correctly it is a ring on the tube near the eye piece. It’s marked for ranges from 10 mtrs to infinity but a big gap between 10 and 20 (which you would expect). I could deal with adding some markers for the closer shots as long as the scope ranges well but would like some feedback if someone has experience using this scope for range finding. 

This isn’t for my primary field target rifle. I’m quite pleased with my Thomas and Sightron 10-50. I’m just playing around setting up an Anschutz 2002 Super Air for fun. So saving weight was a big consideration. 

Corky

Interesting thought, could be the holy grail of hunter FT scopes, or not....depending on its clarity and ranging consistency. Perhaps if you used high scope rings you could add a focus wheel something like in a couple of these pics to give you a little more separation. I recommend you take one for the team and try it out and report back😬!

IMG_0663-3.1621523894.jpeg

I have been using one for field target for a while now. I do not use the parallax wheel to range find. I use the mil dots and bracket my targets. I have a list I carry with me for different size targets i.e. base plates, concrete blocks etc. From all I have read, heard, and done range finding with the parallax wheel of a 16 power scope beyond 40 yards is almost impossible to do consistently. Mil dot size does not change with temp. I am very happy with my swfa 16x42 and I will not be buying a different scope for hunter class. By the way, the parallax wheel is down near the eyepiece not at the front like some of the pics show. Good luck putting a oversized wheel on it. 

I have been using one for field target for a while now. I do not use the parallax wheel to range find. I use the mil dots and bracket my targets. I have a list I carry with me for different size targets i.e. base plates, concrete blocks etc. From all I have read, heard, and done range finding with the parallax wheel of a 16 power scope beyond 40 yards is almost impossible to do consistently. Mil dot size does not change with temp. I am very happy with my swfa 16x42 and I will not be buying a different scope for hunter class. By the way, the parallax wheel is down near the eyepiece not at the front like some of the pics show. Good luck putting a oversized wheel on it.

What would prevent you from adding a little larger parallax ring, would it interfere with your bolt or breech? Sure would be interesting to know how well it rangefinds as is.