Sweet little Springer

The Slavia 618 / Minuteman is the smallest springer I know of ever made. First picture is a HW30 / R7 for comparison. The 618 was manufactured from 1955-1977. It weighs in at a whopping 3 1/4 pounds. The three I have been through shoot incredibly well. One is scoped, one diopter and one original iron sights. Buttery smooth cocking cycle and firing behavior. Triggers are from 9.5 oz - 1 lb 4.9 oz. The 618 came in both 177 and 22 caliber. Mine are all 177. Advertisements say the 618 produces velocities of 460fps in 177. I think mine get over 500fps with 7 grain Basic lead wad cutters. Can’t chronograph today because of rain but will post actual numbers ASAP. Very accurate, light weight, fun rifles to plink with. Did put the trigger gauge on all three today.
Update: scope model 495fps, peep 455fps, iron sight 400fps. All original springs.
643DA600-A33A-4E5C-846C-AEF57078B9E9.jpeg
423ACF5C-9428-4D75-B137-DC57ECD5401E.jpeg
0278564B-58EC-4CEE-A232-0F84B478F039.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look nice. The trigger pulls seem to be very good for small rifles. Were they marketed as youth rifles? I have a little Daisy 120 that would be great fun for a kid but it has a terrible trigger. A kid couldn't hit anything with this. I wonder if almost 100 FPS difference in velocity between the same model of gun means something is wrong inside the slowest one.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Those look nice. The trigger pulls seem to be very good for small rifles. Were they marketed as youth rifles? I have a little Daisy 120 that would be great fun for a kid but it has a terrible trigger. A kid couldn't hit anything with this. I wonder if almost 100 FPS difference in velocity between the same model of gun means something is wrong inside the slowest one.
Yes, youth rifles. I haven’t shot them much in years and the breech seals being leather look a bit dry. Probably the the reason for the big spread. Also with original springs it would depend on usage. I did trigger work on them to get this good of a trigger. The 9.5 oz is a bit low. Surely would not pass the drop test. The scoped model is the one I shoot the most. Took it one night to a league with some decent shooters with several German match rifles. Kept right up with them. They were shocked. It shoots like the HW30. One hole if I do my part. The trigger was the obstacle on these to. But it can be made pretty good. These 618’s were made by CZ in Czechoslovakia. They are known for producing very accurate guns.

Reactions: Bolillo
Thanks for the cool memories.
Back in the early 80s, there was a little rifle made in Romania that was sold for $25 (used). I bought several. They were fairly accurate but I don't remember any trigger issues. I didn't note the model, so no idea. Smallest springer I've seen but seemingly well made. I gave them as gifts to friends with youngsters. I was on a power kick then so they didn't tickle my keep it button.
Bob

So @Bear-of-Grayling, or anyone else, what would be a currently available equivalent to these. These seem to be right for woods roaming and plinking. If y'all think I need to start a new thread let me know.
The Slavia 618 or Minuteman (same rifle) can be found on sights like EBay. I picked up mine many years back and others that I gave to friends. They are so easy and delightful to work on and tune. The kids love them. They have a long enough pull for adults to. I had one in 22 caliber but thought it was underpowered at 300fps. Let it go. I’m always on the watch for one but moved 6 years ago to the Deep South and do not see them here. I modified a UTG offset dovetail mount to the 618 rail and mounted a Sniper 4x compact (UTG Bug Buster equivalent) scope to it. The Williams peep/diopter fits straight on the grooves. The Lyman front globe sight (high) fits the 618 with the blade front sight. They made a pin front sight model also that would need filing a dovetail. I would have absolutely worn one of these out if I would have gotten one when I was a kid. Oh ya, I still am.

Edit: I don’t know of an equivalent model made today. Not sure with safeties, bear traps and the like one could be made this small again. Probably, if Weihrauch saw the market here and abroad for a little gem like this they could. Wouldn’t that be something?

Last edited:
Thanks for the cool memories.
Back in the early 80s, there was a little rifle made in Romania that was sold for $25 (used). I bought several. They were fairly accurate but I don't remember any trigger issues. I didn't note the model, so no idea. Smallest springer I've seen but seemingly well made. I gave them as gifts to friends with youngsters. I was on a power kick then so they didn't tickle my keep it button.
Bob
Maybe this Romanian Pioneer? Borrowed image.
BE6E5337-A023-4510-BAF7-8D8C6277B497.jpeg

Reactions: jbuchse17
That's what it looked like, for sure. It was a TINY little thing and can't tell from your pic with no reference but probably is it. I could see it being a HOOT to plink with now with my perspective on power being a bit different.

Thanks Bear,
Bob
For comparison purposes the HW30 weighs in at 5.5lbs, Romanian Pioneer at 4.25lbs and the Slavia 618 at 3.25lbs. the 618 is 3/4” shorter than the Pioneer and the Pioneer is 1 1/2” shorter than the HW30.
404C9EF7-E261-4C5C-9A94-5C862E4FD45B.jpeg

@Bear-of-Grayling it's funny I saw these and posted on Wednesday and Thursday then find one in a pawn shop on Friday. The poor little thing was in terrible condition. The stock was scratched with the finish peeling off, rusty as heck, and missing a sight. They turned down $25.00. I think they had $69.00 on it. I wish I had the skill to make it look like yours but a recent fiasco trying to improve on the trigger of a Diana two-forty gives me pause.

Reactions: Deerstalker
Nice post and great pics of those junior-size jewels! The Slavias seem to have been well-distibuted in the US at some point, but now it's hard to find examples that some kid hasn't loved to pieces, LOL! My stepbrother had a 618 as a youngster, and I had a Slavia ZVP pistol. This was in the 1960's.

At one time several European makers offered small "kid size" guns, I guess it was their equivalent of BB guns here. Diana stepped up in small increments via the models 15, 16, 22, 23, and 25 before you got to the adult-size models 27, 35, and 50. BSF, Falke, BSA, Milbro, FEG (Relum / Telly), Haenel, and others had a selection of youth-oriented rifles too, and Weihrauch made the little HW 25 for many years..

Last edited: