• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Swarm Maxxim

My grandson wants to hunt squirrels, so i am teaching him how to shoot and what is required to actually hunt with an air rifle. He was starting to understand the process, but the .177 youth rifle doesn't have the energy I want for hunting.

I readily admit that I killed a lot of squirrels with a pump .177 that was no more powerful, but i like more these days having learned better.

He would hurt himself trying to cock the Trail, and he can barely handle it. He is 11, so that is to be expected. I read specs till my eyes bled I think, and in the end, I think I found the perfect compromise rifle.

We unboxed it today, and after installing the scope, it was shooting way high. I adjusted the scope till it was acting like the end of the adjustment, and I am still 6 inches high at 20 yards. I am going to reverse the mount and /or shim the scope while he is at school tomorrow.

The scope isn't bad. He can cock it, although barely. It is right at his limit for today, The magazine keeps young fingers out of danger, and it works flawlessly with Pirahnas or Superpoints so far. The trigger is pretty good. I haven't touched the adjustment It is a lot louder on target than it is firing.

The first thing he said was, it is so light! At 20 yards with either pellet, half inch plywood did not stop a single pellet. I would guess it is a touch more powerful than the Trail these days out of the box and that it will settle in about the same power level. I wasn't shooting for groups. i was trying to walk the scope onto target, just getting on the yellow center of the target and shooting five at a time, The accuracy potential is good, but i have not really explored that yet. Sighted in, a squirrel head isn't going to be a challenge at 20 yards. 

Light weight hunting power that is not too hard to cock, and the repeater mechanism works as advertised. I don't think I ever heard of a break barrel needing to be reverse shimmed because you can't adjust the point of impact low enough before, but II don't see it as any different than shimming one with the opposite problem.

I am impressed enough that I may have to have one too!

The Gamo Swarm was my first airgun but since then I have move on to PCP. It's an excellent started AG IMHO I took this squirrel at less that 25yrds with the scope that came with it. I suggest you might want to get a better one it has a fixed parallax utterly useless for anything less than 15 yrds.
1566467357_9416438885d5e651d4b0540.27259962_Swarm.jpg
1566467385_3084562815d5e6539844623.84064714_29064258_1885319911501586_399815071997525836_o.jpg

The Gamo Swarm was my first airgun but since then I have move on to PCP. It's an excellent started AG IMHO I took this squirrel at less that 25yrds with the scope that came with it. I suggest you might want to get a better one it has a fixed parallax utterly useless for anything less than 15 yrds.
1566467357_9416438885d5e651d4b0540.27259962_Swarm.jpg
1566467385_3084562815d5e6539844623.84064714_29064258_1885319911501586_399815071997525836_o.jpg

That Poison oak/Ivy(?) really did a number on those squirrels, huh?

Semper Fi!

Hey, Shocky! Good to see you somewhere other than the cesspool @ CA! The cocking requirements for some of these springers can be difficult at best. My last gun that I bought after my motorcycle accident was so hard to cock for me that I could only shoot it 3-4 times without hurting my shoulder. That's basically what brought me to the pcp world. I looked at the info you sent me, and it looks good. Not being limited I'm working at getting an Air Force Talon P set up for groundhogs down at the lake. That gun makes a powerful carbine, and the price is hard to beat. That .25 pellet at 900+ fps should be just the ticket for the whistlepigs down there and I got a DonnyFL suppressor so as to not bother the neighbors.

Hope your grandson enjoys his new gun!

In the videos online, I see thread ends on the left side of the gun, and this mount has the caps on the left. I am kind of hoping there is an offset to the mount that is causing it to shoot so high. To get the scope back where it should be, i need to move the impact at 20 yards by about 18 inches straight down.

Well, reversing the mount and setting it back up left me the width of my hand high at 20 yards. Barracuda Green shot really well, and the Superpoints hit about 3/4 of an inch lower than they do. Nothing but to shim the front mount or get a drooper and install it backwards.

Nice to see you here!

I fully understand. His mother bought a used mountain bike and he got this rifle. I worked on the bike while he was at school yesterday, which meant i had to ride it each time. My arm is sore and so are my legs!

This little rifle impresses me more each time I handle it. Keeping ten inside an inch at 20 with the Barracuda Green is a snooze. I have not put anything in it yet that would not group.

I have a large guitar pick that is going to be sacrificed to make the shim as soon as i get motivated again. The central swell is against the back ring because of the boy's size, so the front ring being shimmed should not compromise anything.

Grand children moving in for a while has me in full on grandpa mode, so who has time for CA? 

Bike Wreck?

Needing pellets for the Grandson, I bought a tin of RedFires since the store had very few pellets in .22, and the grand has been wanting to try them.

Do not, I repeat, Do not attempt to use the redfires in your repeating Gamo break barrel. You will stress the hell out of the 10x feed mechanism and still experience pellets not loading and such bull. It handles most pellets just fine, but you can forget the ones with ballistic tip inserts.

I will test them with the Trail later, but if you have a 10X feed system, leave the redfires for the next guy.

It is a blast!

He wants to hunt squirrels, so i staple up a squirrel target and give him one pellet. One shot, just like out there hunting. A knockdown squirrel will happen soon.

I ordered a 95 two days ago to try and keep up with him! Next will be one of the 5 pound guns to make following him around as he learns easier! Right now the Maxxim will put ten of the Ruger branded Superpoints into a nickle to dime sized group at 21 yards with the factory trigger. It likes the 12.93 Greens better, but $20 a tin plinking pellets are not practical for an 11 year old or for me as far as that goes.

I plan to try the Vortex Express next, but no one I have been to yet carry them.