• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Swapping scopes

I'm acquiring a Hawke ED scope this week and want to use it for benchrest on my Impact, however since the magnification only goes down to 10 power, it will be unsuitable for peqsting in my yard. 

Right now I have an Optisan EVX that goes down to 5 power I think, which is perfect for my yard, it also will go up to 24 power which is fine for field work.

As the Impact used a picatinni rail, I have ordered another set of NoLimits rings in the hope I won't have to spend much time restoring when I change scopes.

Am I deluded?

Also, I finally ordered a Vortex torque screwdriver for installing scopes. I have been guessing how tight to sew the endcaps down and that was problematic with the Viper Pro I had, and probably others as well. Since every scope I have ever used pissed me off in one way or another, searching for one I adore necessitates I change scopes often, so it was worth the cash.

In any case, I "think" I read somewhere that the caps should be tightened to 30 inch pounds, but I really am not sure if that's correct, or if each brand has its own tolerances. Recommendations?

Hi Perky,

That's a decent scope as far as the glass goes! I really think that at 10x you will have no problems at backyard ranges and well beyond. When pesting I only shoot it at 10x all the way to 100yards and on calm days beyond, at the range I crank that sucker all the way up and the picture is excellent if your target is well-lit, if not, then the scope magnifies the darkness a bit, but this is a function of high mag optics rather than a sign of crappy glass. The centre aimpoint is really cool for high mag work as it is an ultra fine open space. Outside, during normal daylight, the picture is really fantastic...

My yard has trees, and woodpiles that make it difficult for me to acquire targets that bounce around. The larger sight picture at low mag fixes that. And when the tree eats are up in pine trees moving around, I sometimes have a problem keeping them located at 5 power.

My critters are quite wary for some unknown reason (innocent look), and aren't nearly as stationary as they used to be.

The other problem is nighttime critter control. I do not have a dedicated colored hunting light yet, and as the night critters are now as wary as the daytime critters, I have to use low mag just to have enough light to make them out

Switch scopes. Do it all the time but it IS a bit of a PIA. The best answer..... wait for it. MORE GUNS. I have used quick detach rings and they will get you close but not "on" This is like hammers and screw drivers you might make one work but you know you NEED more. I think we all need a springer for close pests (HW 30). A nice PCP for target and maybe longer range shooting (Daystate or FX 22 or 25) and then maybe a dedicated target gun for what ever your game might be. I had a FWB 300s with a scope for indoor ten meter off hand practice and I let that get away. Big mistake.

I've never considered, or even thought of, a torque screwdriver. Should I? I've always just slowly tightened each screw until they "felt about right."

Some scopes are very touchy about rings that are over tightened. The MTC Viper Pro is one. The side focus gets stupid if the front ring is too tight. I assume other brands could have issues as well.