Swaging slugs

Agreed, that is why I was asking. The only certain way to significantly decrease the cost would be to DIY. Arbor presses are mass produced and cheap so that part is easy, whereas the dies are small volume boutique items so that’s where DIY comes in if you do your own machining or have a close friend who would be willing to do it.

Otherwise the potential for cutting cost will be more modest like sourcing through overseas channels, accepting whatever risk is associated with it. Or you could search and search and maybe find someone wanting to sell their used setup for cheap. 

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Another possibility would be a "soft tooling" approach, not using carbide steel. You would be able to make a die cheap an quickly to test out a slug designs. Then get the die made from tool steel for the final design. 

Epoxy inside a steel tube, lost wax approach for slug cavity? Not wax but another material that could handle the heat from the epoxy setting but still be easily removed once the epoxy is set.

Just thinking out loud

Thanks to all replies, very good conversation. I am not a machinist and at this time know of no one. I did come across a a discussion that was able to use an RCBS reloading press with their dies. Now desperately trying to relocate this.

Now how to collect/reuse pellets/lead to feed the dies..

This air life is going to cost me dearly but wow what a blast to shoot.

George