Swaging Pellets DIY?

bigHUN

Jan 16, 2020
L4G7X4 Canada
Currently shooting slugs at 100 meters paper rings, but sooner or later when my slugs stock exhaust I will re-tune back to pellets (33.9gr) with my .25 Impact.
My Leshiy2 also have two sizes barrels (.22 and .25), but with this gun I had not much luck with paper rings @ 50 meters. Sorting MRD pellets tired me soo much, the total time spent - me better make my own pellets DIY.
Can you recommend me some manufacturers with a proven quality? I would be interested in .22 and .25 swaging dies. Looks like an interesting winter project. Canada here, the winter usually last 5-6 months

Corbin's.....
swage61.jpg

swage7.jpg

Everything is American made, and assembled in Oregon...
Fit and finish is of the highest quality....
Die's are hand fitted and diamond polished

Air force just introduced their own swaging system but I have yet to find one outside of the video they showcased it in. I have a Corbin slug swaging kit on order and should have it fairly soon but should mention those things are like a 6 month wait list. There is also a thread on here form last week showing a pellet swage block, Chinese and cost as much as the Corbin kit after you source most all the items yourself to complete the kit, and has a months long wait.

Here is that thread I mentioned https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/making-your-own-pellets.283996/page-3#post-1290161

Last edited:
Reactions: Glem.Chally
Since The Pellet craze it is keeping them Very, very busy.... So Dave Corbin has told me...
When he tools up for the next order of Pellet swage dies.. He does make a few sets for the shelf, if it is a common size!!!!
For instance the FX M3 .22 has impacted his business... So On his site he has .217-2 dies sets in stock!!
So .217 dies were my second set (.225 is what I got with my kit for my LW poly barrel) it took 3 days to get to my door with the proper size lead wire!!!
Dave is a Fantastic resource, and the phone all the time.... Willing to answer any question you have...
swage8.jpg

Here is an example of his rebated boat-tail design..

Last edited:
Reactions: tibor
heres another..
Thor Mold
High-precision pellets mold manufac
Telegram channel:t.me/HJabcdefg
Telegram group:https://t.me/+7pZAuaau99M2MDY1
t.me/hjabcdefg
Tibi ?
Anywhere else I can have a closer look for these Thore molds?
I have no Telegram, no insta and the other one what is called again... FB I have it on the PC only nothing on my cellphone and I think Im gonna shut down that as well ;)
I am a real cave man, and that feels awesome. ;)

Reactions: sballen
they are beautiful molds..myself considering making my own as well..you can view the instagram site without being a member...but this is how it started for me looking on airgun 101.com site..check this video...https://www.airgun101.com/airtac-hunting/video/hunting-with-home-made-pellets-fx-maverick-compact-fx-impact-m3-700mm-airgun-pest-control.
all the best(y)

they are beautiful molds..myself considering making my own as well..you can view the instagram site without being a member...
Happen to have any CAD file? I can design it but I don't know the tolerances (yet). I just got the idea yesterday :)
I need for shooting paper rings only, not hunting.
In .25 the JSB King Heavy 33.95 gr is OK-ish for 100 meters. But I would need one (most heaviest possible) for .22 have not find any that works well beyond 50 meters.

Air force just introduced their own swaging system but I have yet to find one outside of the video they showcased it in. I have a Corbin slug swaging kit on order and should have it fairly soon but should mention those things are like a 6 month wait list. There is also a thread on here form last week showing a pellet swage block, Chinese and cost as much as the Corbin kit after you source most all the items yourself to complete the kit, and has a months long wait.

Here is that thread I mentioned https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/making-your-own-pellets.283996/page-3#post-1290161
Did you order .217 cal dies? He got ahold of me last week to let me know my order was ready but of course I added extra stuff. So hopefully mine will ship this week.

Did you order .217 cal dies?...
No, this swag die business will/could be my winter project only. For now still sittin on some 7-8K slugs and pellets
But for the price of dies +++ I can buy a helluva more pellets and slugs off the shelfs, so I may even step back from a purchase, will see.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 850renxrs
Did you order .217 cal dies? He got ahold of me last week to let me know my order was ready but of course I added extra stuff. So hopefully mine will ship this week.
Mine is for a 25 cal.. Got almost all the kit this last week. Still waiting on the dies. Kinda surprised at the size of the press. Expected it to be much bigger.

Mine is for a 25 cal.. Got almost all the kit this last week. Still waiting on the dies. Kinda surprised at the size of the press. Expected it to be much bigger.
I ordered the fx style .217 and when I called to give him the updated card number I added the flat base and dish base punches. I asked if he had .25 cal dies he checked and said no but he had .30. I told him I would take the 30 set then he went to grab it but it was only the point shaping die so I told him that as soon as he could get the set together I would take that and a roll of wire for them and what ever else I would need.

Reactions: IndyDurtdigger
No, this swag die business will/could be my winter project only. For now still sittin on some 7-8K slugs and pellets
But for the price of dies +++ I can buy a helluva more pellets and slugs off the shelfs, so I may even step back from a purchase, will see.
:)
I have at least 3000 slugs and pellets on hand! But pretty soon I won’t be buying any more lol. I have spent enough on pellets and slugs since may 1st that I could have bought a whole extra swaging kit.

Reactions: bigHUN
Since there has been more interest in Corbin's Slug Swaging.. here are a few videos.
So First you need to cut Raw cores from Lead Wire. You want it to be at least 5 to 10 grains above the desired Weight.
There are two Flavors of Slugs by Corbin. 2-Step or Single step!

Two step--You first you swage Core with a large cavity. Also you set the desired weight.
Then you re-swage in the Point Form die to form the point.
The One Step. You form the Slug and set the weight in one step.
This method use a smaller "Punch" tip. So this doesn't create a Large hollow cavity!!
To recap..here is the look of the lead cores in each step of the 2-step process
swage7.jpg

This is the difference between the 1 and 2 step process slugs.
pellet%20compare1.jpg

cavity%20compare1.jpg

Hope this helps.......Enjoy!!

Stuart

Last edited:
Since there has been more interest in Corbin's Slug Swaging.. here are a few videos.
So First you need to cut Raw cores from Lead Wire. You want it to be at least 5 to 10 grains above the desired Weight.
There are two Flavors of Slugs by Corbin. 2-Step or Single step!

Two step--You first you swage Core with a large cavity. Also you set the desired
weight.
Then you re-swage in the Point Form die to form the point.
The One Step. You form the Slug and set the weight in one step.
This method use a smaller "Punch" tip. So this doesn't create a Large hollow cavity!!
To recap..here is the look of the lead cores in each step of the 2-step process
swage7.jpg

This is the difference between the 1 and 2 step process slugs.
pellet%20compare1.jpg

cavity%20compare1.jpg

Hope this helps.......Enjoy!!

Stuart
Thanks. It looks pretty straight forward. I am eagerly awaiting my kit.

Reactions: Ca_Varminter
I have at least 3000 slugs and pellets on hand! But pretty soon I won’t be buying any more lol. I have spent enough on pellets and slugs since may 1st that I could have bought a whole extra swaging kit.
I am shooting large volume minimum at least a 1K every month. I estimated my time making my own pellets/slugs might place me in another hobby taking away from shooting rings ... I was an Impact mechanic for almost two years of covid BS and I don't want to sit indoors again, unless the weather and elements.

I am not interested for slugs but pellets only. For slugs ZAN works fine and I have a large variety, but I am planning to move back to pellets.
Just got two FX liners, I crown + cleaned them + polish but have not pushed a pellet through yet. I need to measure.
Good for you. Very intelligent move going back to pellets. Air gun and ammo manufacturers have a long way to go, still, to provide and air rifle and slugs that will really work. I did the same after about a $1000 dollars wasted on finding a slug that will work with my FX impact M3 sniper in .30 cal. Needles to say, it did not work. I hope my costly bad experience help save money to others.

Reactions: bigHUN
Good for you. Very intelligent move going back to pellets. Air gun and ammo manufacturers have a long way to go, still, to provide and air rifle and slugs that will really work. I did the same after about a $1000 dollars wasted on finding a slug that will work with my FX impact M3 sniper in .30 cal. Needles to say, it did not work. I hope my costly bad experience help save money to others.
Sorry you had a bad experience with slugs this is a full mag of my corbin 47.2’s at 940fps out of my maverick sniper no bi pod or bags just resting on my window sill. I didn’t even change the reg or set screw just went from shooting hades at 960 on pw number 4 to pw number 6. Unfortunately I haven’t really shot the gun any further since because I grab my .25 panthera hunter Compact all the time
1696362728177.png