Swagging Tips

Thanks Nick and Tom 👍 What a great idea the shears are. Definitely going to look into that. 
Lucas the only other thing I might mention is maybe test some weights before you commit a whole lot of blanks. 
One of the great things about swagging your own is you can swag a slug in a weight to suit your guns power output. Maybe do 50 in one weight try them for accuracy. Put them over the chronograph and decide if you want a little more or less weight. 
Look forward to seeing your results 👍

Guys, I am sorry to be such a pain, but I have a couple more questions. Say I have a gun that shoots well a 23 grain slug and another shoots well a 21 grain slug, is it very hard to readjust the dies in order to go from one weight to another? Do you waste a lot of slugs in order to get there or are there any settings within the die that might help you find the right weight faster?

Lucas

Lucas,

Once you do it, you'll get a "feel" for it. It doesn't take a lot of adjustment to bump it up, or down a grain or two. If both slugs are identical, other than the weight, it'll take about 6-8 tries to get it exact. You can't really mark the dies (maybe you can with the larger calibers and greater weight difference) but with a .177, 1/2 turn on the die for weight adjustment will give you 2-3 full grains difference. You wont waste a whole lot of lead once you get the hang of it. If lead is that expensive where you are, Corbins makes dies for the proper diameter , and you can reuse the "throwaway" lead.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Hi guys, I wanted to revive this post because after almost 4 months of waiting I finally got my press!!

I started swagging right away and everything looks fine so far! I'll have time this weekend to test them out of my gun!

I do have a couple of questions, I was hoping maybe someone can help me out!

I got one of those hollow ogive dies, I wanted to make some light 18grain slugs with it. I went through the 2 die process, ended up with 18 grain slugs, I decided to disect a few and then tried the regular 1 step die to get some more 18grain slugs, after cutting a few of them in half and comparing them, they were the same, what do you think went wrong? Should I shoot for 18 grains on the first part of the process and just close the gap with the second die without allowing any bleedoff?

Hope everyone has stayed safe,

Gracias y saludos,

Lucas

Hi guys thread revival again I have a Richard Corbin press with Dave Corbin dies ,I use pure new lead chopped to 1 foot lengths and kept in an air tight container, before swaging I clean each lead rod and then roll it buy hand on a granite slab in my loading bench ,cut the cores over the slug weight ,chop cores and then swage lube , the results I am getting are excellent, just one question do you was and relive your slugs after swaging ,I tend to get very slight lead bleed on the back of the slug ,i comes off just with a slight touch with your finger .

E179E4D6-D1F4-43B3-BA32-7EC0CE98CFD8.jpeg

Lucas,

Here you go!!!

Tom Holland

Field Target Tech
Wow, the company I just retired from was handing those out to get rid of them one day. I don’t know if somebody determined there were too many in stock or there was a burr on them or what. But functionally they were fine. I got about ten of them and handed them out to everyone I knew that could use one.