Swagging slugs

these look fantastic - wish there was some moderately priced entry point into swaging.

From left...

JSB KO .22 (for comparison) .25 40grain, .25 54grain
2022-12-01-23-26-47-636.jpg

Just wonder... All swaggers, do you use lead wire on rod? Or core mold? I was looking for lead wire and what I found was extremely expensive vs lead price in general.
I use lead wire from Corbins. Yes, it is considerably more expensive than raw lead, but the time and energy it takes to put that lead into core molds, really isn't worth it. Plus the lead fumes, possibility of getting burned, safety reasons, etc., makes it REALLY not worth it.
A 10 pound spool of Corbins lead wire, (I only swage .177, so I use their .170 wire) comes to 70, 000 grains of lead wire. If my average projectile weighs about 10 grains, I'll have about 60,000 grains of slugs, with that 10,000 grains being bleed off from the swaging process. That gives me about 6000 slugs for $50 worth of lead wire. Still reasonably economical in my book.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

I use lead wire from Corbins. Yes, it is considerably more expensive than raw lead, but the time and energy it takes to put that lead into core molds, really isn't worth it. Plus the lead fumes, possibility of getting burned, safety reasons, etc., makes it REALLY not worth it.
A 10 pound spool of Corbins lead wire, (I only swage .177, so I use their .170 wire) comes to 70, 000 grains of lead wire. If my average projectile weighs about 10 grains, I'll have about 60,000 grains of slugs, with that 10,000 grains being bleed off from the swaging process. That gives me about 6000 slugs for $50 worth of lead wire. Still reasonably economical in my book.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Yes, I know that core mold is the same as casted bullets. I was just wondering in that Nielsenammo topic that there aren't more people interested now that you could get smaller batches of lead wire than industrial quantities.

I've been casting my own bullets for long time.
The only thing I haven't started yet is casting pellets. Because I used more air guns that shoot casted bullets. Like .308 .223 etc.