surprising results with the Airforce "Talon P"

I put Talon P in quotations because it now has an 18inch 22 caliber barrel on it, so its closer to an escape now I believe...anyway...took it out today in some pretty wicked Michigan winds, steady 12mph with gusts up to 40 mph and its all over the place, right left front back...all over. but I decided to do some tuning and accuracy anyway. I did my tune for the JSB 25.39 22 pellets, in the guns preferred pressure range, I had a low of 862, and I high of 929, a pretty big spread for now but I have some ideas on how to fix that without going with a regulator. all the groups were shot at 35 yards, would have gone to 50 yards but the wind was to much to give any accurate representation as to
what the gun is capable of.

IMG_1303.jpeg

this is the group with the FX Hybrid slugs, pretty dang good considering the conditions today.

IMG_1305.jpeg

this is the group with the JSB Knockouts MK1 in .217. I suspect these slugs want to be shooting a bit faster, but pretty good results again.

IMG_1307.jpeg

and this is the group with the JSB 25.39gr pellets. honestly a bit disappointed with this group (I shot 2 groups for each ammo, 1 being at the beginning of the shot curve, and the second being at the middle of the curve to see if groups change, there was not enough variance in group sizes to warrant posting 3 more pictures) my initial thought after seeing the 67ish FPS spread on the shot string was that the pellets would be the most forgiving, this was not true in the slightest. I even shot a group with these pellets below the preferred pressure range around 1600 psi to 1400 psi, putting the velocity down to about 850-830FPS and the groups were still not what I would consider decent. now something to consider again is the wind, so maybe in better conditions I can get the groups down a bit, but as of now, that's what the gun is doing with the 25.39 pellets.

pretty surprised today to see just how well this little lightweight gun is doing with slugs. I have some more testing to do in the near future, try bringing the speed up a bit for the knockouts and see what happens, but as of now...thats minute of pigeon out to 50 yards no problem, so im pretty happy. do any of you guys shoot slugs out of your small bore Airforce guns?

the shim behind the top hat will help you out with the spread, and maybe reducing the top hat to a bit smaller hole since you are using. 22 that big of a hole might not be necessary and might cause some stability issues..mine. 22 barrels are old and prefer slugs in the 216 size. Preferably knockouts.. don't be disappointed with the 22 redesigned. pellet is well known that they are usually really bad pellet.. a light polish on the barrel and it should do great with slugs..find a cheap 480cc carbon bottle it will give you a lot of more shoot wile maintaining same weight.

Reactions: gendoc