• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Surprised by Benjamin Cayden

No update coming this evening as promised, got my package today that I paid for next day air shipping on. Opened up the box and you can imagine my surprise to find the moderator was missing, only had the pellets I ordered. I just can't catch a break, so frustrated. Emailed the company and apparently it was a screw up on their end. Now the moderator is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I just want to get to the bottom of this.

UPDATE: DonnyFL Sumo finally arrived today, my Cayden is officially all good! The moderator was indeed the problem. POI now varies less between different pellets, and more importantly it's grouping what it likes REALLY well.

I re-tested all of the pellets I bought now that the gun is shooting well. Tested all at full power at 30yds, 5 shot groups.

JSB Hades: Won't group well at all. No consistency whatsoever.
H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme: Not good either. Will group a few touching each other, but always have half that are fliers that hit 2-3" away from the group.
JSB Knockout Slugs .217 25.39gr: Not terrible, but not good enough. 1.5" group consistently at 30yds.
FX Hybrid Slugs 22gr: Excellent. One ragged hole.
Air Arms 18gr: Excellent as well.
JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13: Excellent, one ragged hole.
FX Pellet 25.4gr: Excellent once again, one ragged hole.
FX Pellet 15.9gr: Decent, but not as good as the heavier weights. .75" group, opened up horizontally. Possibly the wind since it's lighter than the others?
Crossman Premier HP's: Not good at full power. It's the only round I also tried at lower power, which did improve the groups. Consistently get a flier or two though.

Very happy with the Cayden. Haven't chrono'd yet since my chronograph won't fit over the Sumo moderator, it's too fat. I have the cheap chrono from Amazon that clamps onto the barrel. Buck Rail sent me out a replacement moderator which will be here Friday, didn't think I'd have a use for it since I got the Sumo. If the replacement doesn't give me issues like the first, I'll use it for chrono testing since the clamp will fit over that one.

UPDATE: DonnyFL Sumo finally arrived today, my Cayden is officially all good! The moderator was indeed the problem. POI now varies less between different pellets, and more importantly it's grouping what it likes REALLY well.

I re-tested all of the pellets I bought now that the gun is shooting well. Tested all at full power at 30yds, 5 shot groups.

JSB Hades: Won't group well at all. No consistency whatsoever.
H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme: Not good either. Will group a few touching each other, but always have half that are fliers that hit 2-3" away from the group.
JSB Knockout Slugs .217 25.39gr: Not terrible, but not good enough. 1.5" group consistently at 30yds.
FX Hybrid Slugs 22gr: Excellent. One ragged hole.
Air Arms 18gr: Excellent as well.
JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13: Excellent, one ragged hole.
FX Pellet 25.4gr: Excellent once again, one ragged hole.
FX Pellet 15.9gr: Decent, but not as good as the heavier weights. .75" group, opened up horizontally. Possibly the wind since it's lighter than the others?
Crossman Premier HP's: Not good at full power. It's the only round I also tried at lower power, which did improve the groups. Consistently get a flier or two though.

Very happy with the Cayden. Haven't chrono'd yet since my chronograph won't fit over the Sumo moderator, it's too fat. I have the cheap chrono from Amazon that clamps onto the barrel. Buck Rail sent me out a replacement moderator which will be here Friday, didn't think I'd have a use for it since I got the Sumo. If the replacement doesn't give me issues like the first, I'll use it for chrono testing since the clamp will fit over that one.

Awesome! glad it's grouping well. Did the sumo quiet it down to your liking? sure made a difference on mine. With the lighter pellets, set the transfer port, to about half, and see if they group better, also after the barrel is cleaned it might take a few pellets to get the acceptable grouping results. Glad that you are up and running, enjoy your Cayden.

Awesome! glad it's grouping well. Did the sumo quiet it down to your liking? sure made a difference on mine. With the lighter pellets, set the transfer port, to about half, and see if they group better, also after the barrel is cleaned it might take a few pellets to get the acceptable grouping results. Glad that you are up and running, enjoy your Cayden.

The Sumo is amazing, exceeded my expectations! The Cayden is now quieter than my 25 caliber Origin which has a Buck Rail moderator installed. The Origin didn't really "need" the suppression, but it did make it even quieter than stock. I also figured out a way to fasten my chronograph to the Sumo so I could use it.

With the CHP's I did exactly that, turned the power knob down to half. Full power they grouped terribly and were coming out at 1010fps. Backing it down to half power helped a ton, but not as tight of groups compared to the JSB's. Half power chrono'd at 845fps with the CHP's.

Tried the Barracuda Hunter Extremes again and the Cayden doesn't like them. They scatter pretty bad. Also gave the Hades one more try and they didn't group well either. Although they may benefit from backing the power down some.

The FX 15.9's did best turning the power down to about 3/4. They were coming out at 955fps at that setting and grouped really well. At full power the groups opened up more than I like, certainly coming out too fast I assume, didn't test velocity at full power since they didn't group well at full tilt.

I thought I'd possibly need to trim the hammer spring as I've read of others doing so with great results. But I'm very happy with my shot strings and accuracy right now. With the 18gr pellets and a 3000psi fill I got a consistent 48 shots stopping at 2000psi. On that string of 48 shots peak velocity was 910fps, and lowest was 896fps (which was the very first shot). Shot 48 registered 897fps. I didn't bother shooting anymore after that as I was satisfied stopping there. Didn't think it would get through another mag anyway.

Also mounted up my new scope this morning, nothing special just a UTG SWAT 4-16x44mm. The Centerpoint that came with the Cayden was working just fine but figured I could use the extra magnification to help see my shots on paper.

Just got my second PCP, a 22 caliber Benjamin Cayden. My first was a Origin in 25 caliber, which I've been very happy with. Just spent my first day shooting the new Cayden and it took me by surprise. I ordered a bunch of different pellets and a couple slugs to try. This gun is WAY more picky than my Origin. I haven't played around with the power settings yet, only shooting at max power as the gun came out of the box. I really like the build quality etc, and the trigger is very nice. But I'm surprised by the results of shooting different pellets so far. The gun HATES Crossman Premier HP's, JSB Knockout slugs, FX Hybrid slugs, and H&N barracuda extreme hunters. The only pellets it's grouping well at 30yds is Air Arms heavy 18gr and JSB Hades. I also tried Polymags but they don't cycle in the magazine, I'll have to pick up some shorts when they are back in stock. Also the point of impact varies greatly between the different pellets, much more than different pellets in my Origin. The point of impact variance took me by surprise. I only have experience with my Origin, which keeps everything within 8-10" or so from what it's zero'd with. The Cayden is proving to be much more difficult to test different pellets with. From everything I've read, I was expecting more from it in comparison.

Right now I'm still limited by my hand pump, my compressor is supposed to arrive in a couple of days. Once it arrives it will be much easier to test, but right now I'm frustrated. On a positive note the Buck Rail moderator works really well. I sent one round down range without it and was surprised how loud it was! It is much needed for my backyard shooting. This was all so surprising to me I was wondering if I got a lemon?? Maybe I just got lucky with my Origin? Anyways, just needed to vent!

Morning update. Found I had a drill bit that I could use to drill out the moderator slightly, so I just finished another round of shooting. The Hades, which it previously grouped well, did not group well this time around. I only tried the Hades, CP HP's, and the Air Arms 18gr. Only the AA 18's shot really well at 30yds. 10rds that could be covered with a dime. The Crossman HP's scattered pretty bad, still seeing a huge shift in point of impact between the different pellets.
Did you use a hand drill or drill press? A lathe would be the way to do something like that.

Well, turns out it might not be the Cayden's fault after all. I just brought it inside and filled it up to 3000psi. Currently I have the Centerpoint 3-12x44 PLT scope on it that came free with the gun, and I just got it zero'd with the Hades. I went back out and shot an 8rd group with them, all impacting about a foot too low! They grouped very well, but I had just dialed it in to be zero'd at 30yds. I checked all of the mounts, everything is tight. Now I'm wondering if the scope is garbage?
Reading between the lines, I would have to shoot the rifle to know, however my suspicion is that the moderator is clipping the pellets.
Check that first, then go from there. Never mind, I should have read the entire thread. Duh!!
Kit

Last edited:
Well, turns out it might not be the Cayden's fault after all. I just brought it inside and filled it up to 3000psi. Currently I have the Centerpoint 3-12x44 PLT scope on it that came free with the gun, and I just got it zero'd with the Hades. I went back out and shot an 8rd group with them, all impacting about a foot too low! They grouped very well, but I had just dialed it in to be zero'd at 30yds. I checked all of the mounts, everything is tight. Now I'm wondering if the scope is garbage?
You need a drooper scope mount or adjustable scope rings. Shooting low and running out of elevation on the scope is a common aigun/rimfire problem. FX rings, Burris Signature rings or one of the drooper mounts with 20 MOA angle are available. Ya, cheap scope. I recommend one that is 4-16 or 6-24 power.

This sounds to me (IMHO) like you are moving to fast . My experience is it takes at least 500 to 1k pellets to get a barrel broken in aside from the cleaning b 4 you ever fire a pellet . then shooting maybe 10 groups 10 shots each before ruling out any pellet unless that pellet shoots way off other groups , say you shoot 5 brand or weight pellets and 4 of these group 4 inch low and 3 inch to the right but they all group in the same area all the same aim point . Then the 5th shoots way different 3 up and 4 left still same aim point , you now have 4 possible good pellets
edit S %%% didn't look at date again

Try some NSA slugs. This is a 50 yard group with my Cayden.
41901.jpeg

Mine shot inconsistently at first (especially at full power setting) until I had like 100 pellets through it. Barrel was dirty too. After break-in and cleaning, it shoots several pellets VERY well, even the CPHP. It's favorites are the same as yours....the 18gr Air Arms. I went through THREE moderators until I found one that didn't affect POI. Ended up with a Weihrauch moderator. What a difference then !! I "plink" with the CPHP because they are so inexpensive and so readily available. When I really need pinpoint accuracy through, it's the 18gr for me. I keep both nearby......

Mine shot inconsistently at first (especially at full power setting) until I had like 100 pellets through it. Barrel was dirty too. After break-in and cleaning, it shoots several pellets VERY well, even the CPHP. It's favorites are the same as yours....the 18gr Air Arms. I went through THREE moderators until I found one that didn't affect POI. Ended up with a Weihrauch moderator. What a difference then !! I "plink" with the CPHP because they are so inexpensive and so readily available. When I really need pinpoint accuracy through, it's the 18gr for me. I keep both nearby......
Hi Erock Just wondering where did you get your Weihrauch moderator
Thanks