• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Surprise Lobotomy (Graphic) on Trash Panda!

1540015071_2143239885bcac3df636296.78953885_IMG_20181019_223314_1.jpg
1540015072_2576081925bcac3e0990aa6.49857794_IMG_20181019_223339.jpg

Finally got out for my first racoon hunt of the 2018 small game season here in NC. Trail cams indicated lots of masked marauders infiltrating by night. Set up my observation post (looks just like a hunting blind!) and prepared to engage the enemy. Caught this one sapper trying to work his way under the wire, popped a red flare (scope-mounted red led light), and lit him up, literally and figuratively. The Streamline 25 cal did not let me down. Drilled him right in the thinker from 40 yards out.Now I have some delicious leg quarters for grilling. I'm thinking this season is going to be a good one.

Great shot DRT on the spot. How does your streamline perform? How do you prepare n cook those hinds ? Didn't know you cld eat soon. 

Jon86

Jon,

Thanks! My Streamline is a tack-driver. Easily under half-inch groups at 50 yards, if I do my part. I haven't broken one MOA at the hundred yard mark yet, but I'm getting close. It's tough holding a rifle that still! I shoot the 25 grain JSB Exact Kings at just over 900 FPS. I am very happy with it. It was actually a refurbished rifle. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. I use a four-section FX stackable moderator, and it is more than quiet enough for my purposes. As far as cooking the racoon, I marinade the leg quarters overnight in Allegro Original marinade, then I pat them dry, add a dry rub seasoning, like Montreal Steak from Grillmates, then let them sit for an hour or so. Letting the meat come up closer to room temp improves the cooking and flavor of any meat. I cook it on the grill just like chicken, until the outside is done to my liking, then I wrap them in foil and put them back on the grill until the internal temp is 200 degrees. Hitting 200 degrees breaks down the collagen in meat, and the foil keeps it from drying out in the process. Take it off the grill and let it rest a couple of minutes before unwrapping and eating. I kid you not, I think it tastes very much like a well prepared new york strip steak.

You want to be real careful. LOTS of rabid raccoons out there. Skunks too. I personally would not handle them. You

You are correct in that raccoons are a common vector for rabies, however, only a small percentage of raccoons are rabid. I like to watch my target for a couple of minutes, and see if I observe any of the common signs of rabies. Whether or not it appears rabid, I am going to shoot it. If it appears rabid, it needs to be shot and disposed of, and if not, supper time! I wear gloves when handling the dead animal, only eat the meat, and cook it very thoroughly. I have yet to encounter a rabid raccoon, but have encountered a rabid fox. Thanks again for your words of caution.

Great shot, ive never heard of eating coon either but no problems with it. Please share your recipe and pictures if you care to.

Glem,

Thank you! It's definitely not a regular on most hunters' dinner table. I shared my recipe in a previous comment in this thread, and I will share pictures next time I cook some. Really enjoy your posts and insights.

Excellent shot!! Looks like a big one!

Thanks Bob! He was a hefty one, 14 pounds of masked mayhem on the hoof. One of these days I'll get a Side Shot and try to make some videos like you do. I really enjoy the videos you share. Your enthusiasm is contagious. I do have an ATN X-Sight II that can record video, but I mount it on my Hatsan Bullboss 25 when I use it. Wanted to try out the affordably-priced LED scope lights on Amazon, which don't require dismounting my regular scope. I must say I am very happy with the red LED I used for this raccoon. The green LED will be next. I also used my new thermal handheld imager, the Seek Reveal Pro for scanning around my blind. After a couple more outings with it, I will post my thoughts and experiences on it.