• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suppressor on a break-barrel?

donnyflKOI_soundleveltest001a_withtext.1613444547.jpg

Editing now. Details and results here:

https://www.facebook.com/TAGSguild

Meanwhile, what do you think my purely non-laboratory anecdotal results will be?

#TAGSguild
#DonnyFLsuppressors
#Walther
#UmarexUSA

I'll give you the critical spoiler: doesn't do much, but does a tiny amount on an HW95 and a tad more on a Hatsan type gas ram.

This review of the review prior to it getting watched was brought to you by the same people that brought you Rotten Tomatoes. This film was dubbed certifiably rotten by HatsanandFXGamo.lame but will probably be voted 98% fresh by audience scores.

All joking aside, I am interested in your results as I have tested this myself. Thanks for putting in the effort 

I’m a firm believer in using LDCs on Springers. Definitely make a difference that I can hear. Best way to test is to shoot towards a “wall” that allows the sound to come back your way. Shoot with and without it, you’ll tell a difference.

I'm what springers? What LDCs? I think they help weigh the barrel down a good amount. The HW98 with the thickened up barrel achieves a bit better accuracy because of the weight, but in all other respects it is an HW95. That being said, I'd rather have an HW95 with an LDC than an HW98 without one. 

A larger moderator made a HUGE difference on my Walther Parrus .22. A smaller one did a little bit, mainly took the rasp out of the shot sound. Either way, recommended for the Parrus.

What moderator? What level of decibel drop was there? Rough estimate is cool too like %30 reduction?

New Geo and a "solvent trap". Geo takes the rasp out of it, is compact and very lightweight. The trap takes the sound down about 50%, but is much larger and heavier.

I'm waiting on an adapter to try them out on the pRod.

I'm what springers? What LDCs? I think they help weigh the barrel down a good amount. The HW98 with the thickened up barrel achieves a bit better accuracy because of the weight,

In my experience, to my ears, it makes a difference. Just about any LDC. I’m running a Huggett Atom on my .22 LGV right now. The only Springers that I own that can thread an LDC are the LGVs & the HW30. Both my LGVs (.177 & .22) benefit from it. Frankly I don’t recall the difference in the HW30. I’m not talking about accuracy, I’m talking about sound. 

I'm what springers? What LDCs? I think they help weigh the barrel down a good amount. The HW98 with the thickened up barrel achieves a bit better accuracy because of the weight,

In my experience, to my ears, it makes a difference. Just about any LDC. I’m running a Huggett Atom on my .22 LGV right now. The only Springers that I own that can thread an LDC are the LGVs & the HW30. Both my LGVs (.177 & .22) benefit from it. Frankly I don’t recall the difference in the HW30. I’m not talking about accuracy, I’m talking about sound.

Haha "I'm what springers". My auto correct projects words before I even begin writing, so since I text my wife "I'm leaving work" so much it auto fills that word often. Do you like the LGVs?

I have a DonnyFl tanto on my HW50 .177 and it definitely makes a difference.

Shooting the gun you can't tell how much it really helps because of the mechanical noise, but if you are in front of the gun you can tell the difference.

They don't just put them on airguns in the UK for looks.

I have a HW50 .20 I'm getting the barrel chopped and threaded, gonna try a Sumo on it.

Just watched a video review of the HW99s (HW50s in US) and the UK-based reviewer used a decibel meter to compare intensity of sound with and without. His LDC was a UK aftermarket item designed to dampen sound, not just provide muzzle weight. His unmoderated decibel level was 100, and moderated was 90. So, a bit of a reduction, but not "mouse fart" quiet.

Just watched a video review of the HW99s (HW50s in US) and the UK-based reviewer used a decibel meter to compare intensity of sound with and without. His LDC was a UK aftermarket item designed to dampen sound, not just provide muzzle weight. His unmoderated decibel level was 100, and moderated was 90. So, a bit of a reduction, but not "mouse fart" quiet.

Correct but that is a very large reduction