Suppressor for Leshiy 2 - DonnyFL vs Huma? Something else?

I make these blowback shroud for my Leshiy 2. Fits inside the CF handguard and work well. 
9F7481B0-7C4F-457F-807E-1C3715EE3105.1637258345.jpeg
D4FAF654-2B1E-4CBF-BAEB-F8F7FD03EEC5.1637258345.jpeg
2A6A82EF-F6DA-4EF6-A902-76C253BA2445.1637258345.jpeg

Hi have donnys adapter + ronin on my 350 mm .25 cal. I have it set to shoot at 50ftlbs and it’s very quiet. The action noise is louder but not too obvious when I hear it from afar. I’m going to get a fat boy to see if I can cut down about 2 inches from the overall length and keep it quiet. The fat boy is on my Christmas list.

gabe

9A804C03-8C9C-4FDA-B64C-8BCCBE154EF2.1639680381.jpeg

FWIW, I've got the extended shroud insert and a standard shroud insert for my .25 250mm L2 from Silent Thunder Ordinance.

I've also had some of the typical 3d printed inserts that's are floating around.

The standard one in the short moderator is noticeably quieter than the 3d printed extended insert I was using I the 350mm shroud prior. The STO extended is really quiet, but the standard is quiet enough that I'm using the shorty moderator again, which I'm happy about.

Had my in-laws happily shooting it in short shroud/STO insert setup over the holiday and lots of laughs, no noise complaints. Neither of them are shooters.

Just FWIW.

After trying to quiet down my Leshiy 2 .22 350mm with different moderators and still not satisfied with both the additional length and sound levels. I have tried many different moderator including STO’s FLEX/Pilum, Ramus technologies Trident, few of DonnyFl’s, Zero db and Huma Mod 40. I decided to make a shroud for the L2. The finished product is a blowback chamber/shroud combined the a short DonnyFl’s Tatsu which measured at around 10.5 inch including the Tatsu (most of the length is behind the Tatsu). This combination out performed the longer moderators and it’s only 3mm beyond the CF handguard which give my Leshiy 2 an overall length of 31.5 inches. 
613FCF11-A80C-4AAF-90C6-D6A0BAC38634.1632332811.jpeg

5B42B52B-E192-4EF9-A746-6319A2BF371D.1632332966.jpeg
BE550F4A-E9B8-4770-BB26-AE787EF85227.1632332966.jpeg
E6BD3362-CE2B-46DF-86CF-A7ADE464608F.1632332966.jpeg

jack is the man , always, thinking & coming up with new ideas, i have purchased speedloader from him great to deal with, i would love to have the setup he just posted on , but my L2 is not cycling right , i got tired of trying everything from videos to people advise's , got frusterated, & it is laying on the shelf, only have about 3 mags thru it , i actually kind of regret purchasing it, lot of money just setting there = 22cal x350mm

I make these blowback shroud for my Leshiy 2. Fits inside the CF handguard and work well. 
9F7481B0-7C4F-457F-807E-1C3715EE3105.1637258345.jpeg
D4FAF654-2B1E-4CBF-BAEB-F8F7FD03EEC5.1637258345.jpeg
2A6A82EF-F6DA-4EF6-A902-76C253BA2445.1637258345.jpeg

Jack.K - New member here, looks like a great item. Trying to learn as much, as quick, as possible about teh L2. Does your Shroud work with the 250mm or 350mm barrel? Would one length be better than the other to tame down? Thx - Brad

Hi Brad, I make the shroud for both 350 and 450mm barrels. I recently purchased a 450mm .22 barrel for my Leshiy 2. With this increase from the same caliber from 350mm to 450mm I’m now shooting 50 fps faster without any changes to the jets or regulator which means I can lower the regulator pressure with the longer barrel and still get the same power. The end result I get more shots per fill. 

Ok so I have gone through one tin. This is a great rifle and seems near perfect out of the box for my application.

These are my novice conclusions on noise vs accuracy vs handling vs storage of the Leshiy 2 in .30 cal. Please realize noise conclusions are totally subjective as I was too lazy to bring out my DB meter plus it was raining. Also, accuracy is subjective as I only have two criteria, short range (under 20 yards) standing with no magnification and long range (over 20 yards), leaning against a tree with magnification. If I can hit a grapefruit at either range, I am fine. I didn’t measure speeds or energy either. If the target is moving after one shot…well that is failure. Sorry if this summary is not up to the thread’s excellent standards. Maybe this Spring I will get more scientific.

My rifle came with the regulator set at 120 BAR. I did turn it up a bit but this resulted in more noise. The .30 cal pellets seem to have some serious punch even at 120 BAR, and the gun functioned perfectly, so I just left returned it to where it was out of the box for now.

Here are the setups I tried.

1. 250 barrel, stock 250 shroud, stock insert,
  2. 250 barrel, stock 250 shroud, STO short insert, 6 MOA 1x red dot reflex
  3. 250 barrel, stock 350 shroud, 2 x stock inserts, 6 MOA 1x red dot reflex
  4. 250 barrel, stock 350 shroud, STO long insert, 6 MOA 1x red dot reflex
  5. 250 barrel, DonnyFL 350 shroud, Ronan, 6 MOA 1x red dot reflex
  6. 250 barrel, Ronan, 6 MOA 1x red dot reflex
  7. 350 barrel, stock 350 shroud, STO short insert,
  8. 350 barrel, Ronan, 4 x crosshair scope
    [/LIST=1]

First conclusion. Adding a STO short insert in place of the stock insert on either a 250 or 350 rifle is well worth it. It simply makes them noticeably quieter. The 250 especially benefits as the stock setup is not neighbor friendly. Yes, it is quieter than no moderator but it still has a serious bark especially in my .30 cal. With the STO short I would not hesitate to plink with a 250 in my back yard. At worse the neighbors may wonder what I’m using my nail gun for.

Second conclusion. All of these setups had acceptable performance for my application. 150 rounds is certainly not a stress test but good enough for this summary. If there is an accuracy or energy difference other than the barrel change it gave me no notice. I have no concerns with the ability of this rifle in any of these setups.

Third conclusion. I greatly value the ability of the Leshiy 2 to be stored folded in a very small bag. I use a lap top case. Although not as important as reliability, accuracy and noise, but it is probably one of the main reasons I chose this rifle over others for my first PCP (also semi-auto). Because of this importance to me, my rifle will typically be folded, with the stock 250 shroud, STO short insert and reflex sight. This is to be at the ready for quick response to throw a few rounds at pests near my home.

Fourth conclusion. If the neighbors complain about the noise from the 250 setup, I’ll store the gun with the 250 barrel but without any shroud and quickly spin on the Ronan directly to the end of the barrel when using the rifle. Yes the rifle is not quite as compact to operate, and you need an extended lock pen to lock it folded when the Ronan is mounted (like when re-loading). Not a bad compromise and pretty darn quiet.

Fifth conclusion. If I plan on shooting several short range rounds, and noise is important, I’ll take the time to mount the stock 350 shroud with the STO long insert. This requires the 250 barrel. This setup takes a little more space to store but I do like the feel of the rifle with the stock shrouds.

Sixth conclusion. If I need longer range accuracy, I assume I am in an area where noise is not that important. The 350 barrel, stock 350 shroud and STO short insert would be my preference. It probably just me but I like the way the gun handles with this setup and it is a bit shorter as compared to the DonnyFL kit.

Seventh conclusion. If shooting long range and/or low noise is very important, the 350 barrel with DonnyFL shroud and Ronin moderator is the way to go. None of these other setups are as quiet as the DonnyFL kit installed on the rifle. To store you can still easily remove the Ronin and again you will need an extended lock pen to lock folded.

1. Thanks for writing this up, Stoutblock. That's the type of information I've been looking for. 

I'm confused about the fourth conclusion. Are you suggesting that the 250 barrel with the Ronin directly threaded on is quieter than the STO insert with the short barrel and shroud?

Also, if you did decide to go with storing the Leshiy 2 with the 250mm barrel and no shroud why no do the same with the 350mm barrel? If the Leshiy two is folded with the 350mm barrel and no shroud and/or moderator isn't it around the same length? Meaning the 350mm barrel wouldn't extend past the end of the butt pad? Or at least not extend past it by much?

Hi Brad, I make the shroud for both 350 and 450mm barrels. I recently purchased a 450mm .22 barrel for my Leshiy 2. With this increase from the same caliber from 350mm to 450mm I’m now shooting 50 fps faster without any changes to the jets or regulator which means I can lower the regulator pressure with the longer barrel and still get the same power. The end result I get more shots per fill. 

e 250mm or 350mm barrel? Would one length be better than the other to tame down? Thx - Brad

Thanks Jack. One more question as I'm new to the Leshiy Platform. Using 350mm barrels, does the barrel outside diameter change with the caliber or are they all the same so shroud would work with all calibers of 350mm barrel lengths? Thx bradco

e 250mm or 350mm barrel? Would one length be better than the other to tame down? Thx - Brad

Thanks Jack. One more question as I'm new to the Leshiy Platform. Using 350mm barrels, does the barrel outside diameter change with the caliber or are they all the same so shroud would work with all calibers of 350mm barrel lengths? Thx bradco

The barrel outside diameter are the same for each caliber.