• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suppressor for Leshiy 2 - DonnyFL vs Huma? Something else?

You will love the Mod40. If you decide to save weight later, build a full shroud. They are quieter than any end-of-barrel mod. You can build lighter and shorter in overall length because you get a major pressure dump into the volume back around the barrel. Once you dump all that pressure you only need 4 to 6 inches to quiet it down, beyond what any diameter end of barrel mod can do. My shroud is 27mm 14 inches long and does a good or better job than the MOD40 which I loved. I like that the MOD 40 is removable quickly so the rifle is shorter for transport than with a full shroud, which is hard to remove. I prefer Huma over DonnyFL, both very high quality, just like the suppression on the Huma better, like the anodizing on the DonnyFL better. Love this country and all the choices we have. 

Sergey,

Any YouTube videos on how to build a shroud? I am technically challanged :) 

PS: I love the USA too. I am an immigrant. At first, the gun laws made no sense to me. But I have been here 20+ years now and my gun collection is growing. I need a bigger safe soon :D. I just wish SE Florida had more outdoor opportunities for hunters.

Reactions: tywynn
There are youtube videos for airgun shrouds. There are also people who specialize in building them, neil clague and others. There are off the shelf shrouds that are easier to modify than full custom build. Like the hugget wildcat shroud from utah airguns.

I modified the bsa shroud from huma. The hugget is more money but would look better. I dont know what it would take to modify the hugget shroud.

Ran the Huma 40 with 7 segments (5 +1 + 1/2) no clipping issues. But yes stopping on the barrel tip to create coaxial alignment with barrel bore and Mod bores is tougher. That's why people recommend going a size up but that creates more air leakage. Shrouds solve that problem in some way because you create coaxial alignment over the length from back to the air stripper, much more angular control. However, Huma machining is top-notch and I didn't have any problems with my super long mod (only 180 pellets through it over 2 sessions with mod removal in between).

Currently for sale in the classifieds. I found the happy medium I can live with. So the Mod40 with all the extra pieces is for sale. If you want instant satisfaction that will do it. 

So I got the MOD 40 from Brian. I just installed it and shot a few shots. Prior, I measured around 110-115 db. After installing the MOD 40, I get 65 db. Which makes me think that my cheap $40 meter is inaccurate. The gun is definitely more quiet, but it sure sounds more than 65 db. More like 80-90. Has any of you measured it?

Btw, this is at the factory regulator pressure.

EDIT: Yeah my meter is garbage. So much garbage on amazon it is nuts. This one is going back too. With the iPhone I was measuring 89 db with the MOD 40 on. That is more believable.

You can differentiate between the indexing and valve actuation noise and the muzzle noise to get more feedback on your results. 

Let someone else shoot it while you listen and you'll be blown away by how quiet it is.

Thanks! Yup. I just did that. Had the wife shoot it while I was maybe 15-20 yards away. With the MOD 40, it is good to go for the backyard. Quieter would be better but it is fine.

Anyone knows if the Valkyrie hand guard (the one with the rail) comes with an adapter from Brian? I have received the hand guard (the short one) but no adapter.

it appears to say a mounting plate is included. i am going to post a review of the mod50 shortly.

i got one for the larger cf guard that is large enough to fit over the mod50;

so here are the numbers with the MOD50 (larger model). don't know if the donny fl options are better, but the mod50 is flexible with the ability to add/remove sections.

it was clear that the feeding mechanism on the leshey 2 is a significant source of sound.

Huma MOD50
came with main base section, 1 40mm section with endcap and 3 additional sections (5/0)
i think 4/0 (3) 40mm sections is standard now)?

this is measured indoors with a mid range decibel meter.
position of the relative to the source affected results a lot (obviously).
muzzle height 5', 5' from 2 reflecting walls
5' away, 1.5' below the muzzle, 3' from one of the reflecting walls.
in other words, terrible conditions, and for comparative purposes only.

bare muzzle - 109db
stock shroud - 100db
mod50 w/1 section/endcap - 95db
mod50 w/2 sections/endcap - 90db
mod50 w/3 sections/endcap - 86db
mod50 w/4 sections/endcap - 85db

bonus
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap w/paper plate and towel over the magazine area - 81db
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap with meter located where your head is looking through the scope - 96db.

bottom line, the shortest configuration is quieter than the stock shroud without adding any length (100db vs 95db).

adding sections reduce the sound levels down to ~85db, and the feeding system is the limiting factor.

shortytCapture.1633961009.JPG

This very good info. A little more info would be great. Cal, barrel length, pellet weight, velocity, jets, pressure, REPR or prior reg. Were the tests performed with or without pellets? Most guns are quieter with pellets.

22 cal leshiy 2 long (350mm) REPR as it came from egw, ~800fps (caldwell) and shooting AA 16gr pellets.

theLBC

Excellent thank you. I wish we had some standardized way to compare measurements. I'm getting lower readings with the same gun setup and similar energy output, with a MOD 40. Unfortunately, it's meaningless since our phone can read differently. I can confirm that the muzzle report is now below the indexing noise, like your setup. Now to figure out how to reduce indexing noise. I know that sounds silly but my buddy Jake has the same gun and his indexing noise is definitely louder. We've been working to bring his down to the same level as mine, implying that maybe there is something else we can do.

There are youtube videos for airgun shrouds. There are also people who specialize in building them, neil clague and others. There are off the shelf shrouds that are easier to modify than full custom build. Like the hugget wildcat shroud from utah airguns.

I modified the bsa shroud from huma. The hugget is more money but would look better. I dont know what it would take to modify the hugget shroud.

What modifications did you do to the bsa baffle for it to fit? 

I tapped the air stripper for 14x1.25.

Rear cap shortened because we don't need all the BSA detail. Sleeved the rear cap for barrel diameter, our barrel is smaller than bsa. Vented rear cap with 2 1/16 holes. Added a spacer to take up room, 2 inches or so, between air stripper and 1st baffle (thin walled plastic tube). Made 2 more delrin baffle disks because I needed one for the spacer tube and 1 to keep baffle out of hollow front cap.

Experimenting with replacing spacer with little cone baffle stack. Either way firing noise is below indexing noise already.

I tapped the air stripper for 14x1.25.

Rear cap shortened because we don't need all the BSA detail. Sleeved the rear cap for barrel diameter, our barrel is smaller than bsa. Vented rear cap with 2 1/16 holes. Added a spacer to take up room, 2 inches or so, between air stripper and 1st baffle (thin walled plastic tube). Made 2 more delrin baffle disks because I needed one for the spacer tube and 1 to keep baffle out of hollow front cap.

Experimenting with replacing spacer with little cone baffle stack. Either way firing noise is below indexing noise already.

Do you have any pictures to show your build process?

I'm a machinist so for me the process was so quick there was no point in documenting.

1. Tap air stripper.

2. Back piece that sludes over barrel has 16 mm hole. Make 16odx14idx16L sleeve to adapt to barrel. Piece of tube will work. Just didnt have anything so machined from plastic.

3. Back cap is long. Trimmed it on lathe from back not threaded end. Drilled 2 vent holes 1mm or 1.5mm diameter.

4. Copy the delrin disks supplied, make 2.

5. Assemble on gun and figure out how much extra toom inside and make a haircurler or just simple thin tube to keep all baffles from falling back towards aur stripper. (If the barrel was longer wouldn't need to do this). This easier and more effective than shortening the shroud tube.