• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suppressed and Unimpressed

My only real knowledge of suppressors is with firearms. That being said, here is the short version of my education. When a great gunsmith cuts the threads on the barrel and cuts the threads on the can the poi shift is 0 or microscopic at 100 yds. It is difficult to do this as they are class 3 items for firearms. The weight is also a factor but titanium solves that for the most part. There at least a half dozen or more gunsmiths on Snipers Hide who are more than capable.

Other than saying it sounds like clipping I can't really speak to the poi shifting, but I'd like to make a mention of the Ronin. I think it's too big for your application. I don't think you are pushing enough air to fill the Ronin can and actually reduce anything. I'll give an example as to why I believe this. I had a Tanto in .30 that was amazingly effective at reducing a 60fpe blast from a Leshiy, but I wanted to reduce the shot output further so I ordered a Ronin in .30. I was amazingly disappointed when the Ronin actually sounded louder than the tiny little Tanto. 

What I believe is that for a monocore design like Donny's to be most effective it needs to get pressurized with the air output from the gun.

If you dropped down to a Tanto or Koi I think you'd have better sound dampening.

20181122_101709.1601597905.jpg
Are you using the ronin with the adapter for the factory shroud...? Is so that is crap...remove the factory shroud..the barrel is already treaded 1/2-20 order the bt 65 non QE barrel barrel band..
... and I remove the shroud n purchase the barrel band..and it will look like the one on the pic..

I am guessing the same he mounted it to the qe shroud and not the barrel. That shroud has a hole in the back for air to escape, which is where noise is likely coming from. Get rid of the shroud.

I will be out of commission until the middle of next week. 
Removing the factory shroud makes perfect sense. I had never given that a thought because #1, PCP airguns are new to me, I have almost 2 weeks experience, and #2, I saw the "Hatsan QE 1/2 x 20 UNF Adapter #A24" and ordered the QE adapter with the Ronin.
My next move as soon as time permits, will be to remove the shroud and try again.
I will report back late next week.

Thank you for the suggestions.

🔶 I would like to caution against a quick removal of the shroud. 🔶

🔶The shroud has an important silencing function, as it is (a) catching air at the barrel end and (b) redirecting and slowing its exiting both in the section beyond the barrel end and the section before the barrel end.

Adding a silencer will increase this silencing effect — effectively you have now two sound suppressing devices — shroud + silencer.

➔ And therefore the silencer needed in this case can be much smaller than if all you had was the silencer.

🔶 Of course, if the shroud threads are misaligned and are causing clipping in the silencer, then either you need a re-threading, or the shroud must go.

🔶 DonnyFL in a personal email recommended the follwing:

(a) silencer screwed directly into the barrel: buy the silencer size of the caliber you're using.

(b) silencer screwed into a shroud: buy the silencer one size larger.

🔶Scott/ Motorhead's advice is extremely important. 😊

If the gun is tuned inefficiently — i.e., air is blown into the barrel even after the pellet has left it — this will turn a shooting machine into a huge noise machine.

Here's a recent post of his about that:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/%f0%9f%94%b4-50-silencers-comparing-specs-loudness-looks/#post-820329

😊 Matthias