Suppressed and Unimpressed

Well, my Ronin silencer arrived today. After a 20 round test run, I'm quite underwhelmed.
I've been spending time in the back yard painting my shed, and the Hatsan BT65 is on a rifle rest pointing at my 25 yard target area. Today's diversion was to take a shot or two at a softball laying on the ground at 25 yards every time I took a break.
The Ronin arrived and installed in seconds. It took me a full magazine to walk the POI to the softball. It was hitting low and right.
I stuck a few targets onto a box and set it out there. With the Ronin, shots were hitting 7" low and 4 3/8" right, with a spread of over 2". Before changing zero on the scope, I removed the silencer and shot 3 rounds and got the expected result of under 3/4" dead center. Well, then I put the silencer back on and the next group was just under 2 inches CTC, hitting 4 3/4" low and 2 3/8 right.
It looks like the POI will change every time I remove/replace the silencer.
That said, the gun is not very much quieter with the Ronin although the tone is different.
This is not my first go around with silencers, just my first with airgun silencers. My favorite .22 silencer gets moved from one firearm to another without a need to re-zero sights each time.
Am I missing something here?

IMG_1110.1601591014.JPG

That's normal and if you want it the quietest you need the Emperor and maybe Donny can trade it out of you're not happy. Who knows? Airguns are sensitive compared to firearms.

That ain't normal. His poi should not change every time he re-install as the same moderator on the same gun. That's just insanity.

👍

That definitely isn't normal. I assume you'd be able to spot if it was out of alignment, indicating a runout problem with the threads or adapter. Try opening it up and inspect for a loose piece of felt or anything in the pellet path. See if there are lead shavings inside and shiny or torn surfaces on the baffles or exit hole. Reassemble, and make sure the end caps are snug.

20181122_101709.1601597905.jpg
Are you using the ronin with the adapter for the factory shroud...? Is so that is crap...remove the factory shroud..the barrel is already treaded 1/2-20 order the bt 65 non QE barrel barrel band..n use a lighter sumo or shogun it will be 100 times better..I purchase a roning for my 308 texan n sold it the shogun work so good that I could shoot indoors..the ronin is to heavy..and don't give any gains in sound reduction...I only have problems one time with a .22 koy it was out of alignment..but the others I have purchased work great n I use them pretty tight..the .22 for 224 --- .25 for .257 -- .30 for .308 ....I foud the pic of the .30 hatsan I used to have and I remove the shroud n purchase the barrel band..and it will look like the one on the pic..

This post is to help the poster not beat up the suppressor maker. I'm working on a clipping problem with a DFL sumo on a 22 cal air gun. I first wanted to make sure the rifle was "right" before moving on to the suppressor. The barrel was .011" bowed right in the center so that was easy for me to fix, I put on a mill table on 2 v blocks and used the quill to pressure it down until it was straight to within .0015". Next I moved on the the shroud which was .030" bowed. Fixed that problem the same way. reassembled the rifle and shot it, still clipping the suppressor. I pulled the shroud and attached the adapter and suppressor chucked the shroud in a lathe, showed .030" runout the shroud showed .001" so that left .029" coming from the suppressor and adapter. I then screwed the suppressor to a threaded arbor indexed it in and found .015" runout at the far end of the suppressor. The suppressor is NOT aligned by the threads but by the mating shoulders. So you have 3 surfaces that can create a problem. I might add that the rifle shoots the best with the shroud and air stripped removed. And it shoots to a different place on the target, I think there is a problem there also. What to do is the question now. Enough for today.

What I called crap..is not the adapter or supresor..is the hatsan crapy useless shroud..with not work good with extra weight...I purchase one of the new side lever versions..I did exactly the same..removed the shroud and it works great..when I have the time . To varadium air it will go..but reality is reality and some times the come out of alignment or the tread are a bit lose..but donny he is the best solving the kind of issues...and I will never purchase one size bigger .. when supresors are to be used as caliber specific as you could.the gun goes quieter...the one reason to go one bigger is if you are using the moderator on top of a some flexible shroud..

A correctly made and correctly fitted mod should only give a very minimal change to poi, this is due to the extra weight alternating the harmonics.

if the barrel thread, or the thread of the mod are not concentric, or the shoulder of the barrel is not square then the mod will not sit in line with the bore. A barrel inside a shroud that then takes a mod adds another possible misalignment issue.

It is also possible that screwing on the mod that the barrel band moves holding the barrel out of its normal orientation.

A simple test, screw on the mod, stick a piece of insulation tape over the endcap, then take a shot, as the pellet punches a hole in the tape, it should be exactly central to the hole in the endcap, if it isn’t, you have a problem.

Bb