• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Superlube synthetic grease for pcp innards

I've watched all the FX masterclass videos with Ernest Rowe, where he is using the SL syn grease (not silicone SL). Also I've seen other sites selling SL for pcp rifle lubing where the photo shows syn grease and the description says silicone? With all the confusion I was wondering if the syn grease is ok for hpa? I've seen confusing posts on this too.
So, what's the word on using syn grease?

I've watched all the FX masterclass videos with Ernest Rowe, where he is using the SL syn grease (not silicone SL). Also I've seen other sites selling SL for pcp rifle lubing where the photo shows syn grease and the description says silicone? With all the confusion I was wondering if the syn grease is ok for hpa? I've seen confusing posts on this too.
So, what's the word on using syn grease?

I've been using synthetic grease for years on my paintball gun with no issue, and they go through way more abuse.

The Superlube synthetic grease is highly flammable. Best practices would dictate that it be used only in unpressurized areas. For O-rings in pressurized areas, silicone is best.

torch test - annotated.jpg

See what I mean. Total confusion.
It just comes down to whether or not you are comfortable with using a flammable lubricant. For example, most people would not dream of using something like 30W oil to lubricate internal PCP parts. But an open flame will not ignite motor oil. Meanwhile an open flame will light up Superlube synthetic grease like a can of Sterno.

I just wondered how FX masterclass video can show Superlube syn grease as recommended for pcp rifles???
I think it depends on which Superlube, and specifically where it is being used. Regardless of branding, a silicone lube is good for rubber and plastic, not good for metal. If it's around HPA, or other metal-to-metal connections under high pressure or temperature, then silicone is not the choice. A good cheap option for such applications is pure synthetic motor grease and oil. A quart of Mobil 1 grease will last many lifetimes of air rifle use.

One of the best videos I have seen on lubricants for PCPs is one Sub12Airgunners has on their site. He has a great site and I have learned a lot from his videos. Here is a link to his lubricant video:
Yeah, that dude knows his sh..
I watch all his stuff now & learn as much as I can.
Funniest thing I heard him say was he just tosses his warranties as he doesn't use them or need them. I actually believe that
Joe