Superior or Superior Heavy.

I have a Maverick in 25 cal. Shooting the 29.5 nsa at 1015 fps. I am getting good groups at 50 and 100 but I was wanting to shoot the heavier slugs. I tried the 33.5 34.9 and 36.2 and they didn’t group well. They were all shot around 950-970 fps. But then I came across Chris form up north airgunner, see he had great success shooting the 36.2 nsa at 900 fps with the superior liner. Should I bite the Bullet and get a heavy liner? Has anyone had success with the superior heavy liner? 

The standard FX barrels will usually shoot lighter slugs just fine, but if you want to push heavier slugs you do need to get the heavy liner.

I am not familiar with the .25 caliber and what is heavy there or not, but it sound like you have run into something too heavy for the standard liner ( STX or superior )

I would assume the superior heavy liner are better than the older slug A liner or whatever they was named.

For me locked in to .177 by Danish law, 15 grains is about the heaviest i can get, and might be too heavy for the superior liner of my Maverick, so i only have 2 boxes of those ( NSA ) But i have yet to put them thru my gun as i am not pleased how it perform with pellets so far,,,,,, but come spring i am sure i will be ready to shoot slugs in the Maverick or some other gun.

Obviously every slug and barrel combo is different. But without a good tune thanks to my gauge died on me I say this ain’t to shabby. 29 gain NSA shooting 950fps at 50 yard zero. The one on the right was me and most likely the top left one too. 
F3C78D36-EF6B-4309-8ABA-D5990BFB9FA2.1638151168.jpeg

this is 2 groups at 300 yards, few of the shots went wide thanks to my errors on wind call. 

BC7161C4-DEE4-4F95-9CB2-DB34A02D5E77.1638151168.jpeg

they may not be 1 hole like some of knife’s groups after he cut off the choke but seems promising without a fine tune. I did however polished the choke with JB bore paste like I always do with my FX barrels. NSAs are straight out of the bag. 

if you plan on shooting slugs instead of pellets like me then just go straight to heavy liner and call it a day. I have not shot a single pellet through my impact .25 liners in over a year.

qball it’s pretty wild how one liner will shoot different than another. My groups were horrible with the 29 nsa but awesome with the 29.5. I will eventually get a heavy liner. I want to shoot either the 33.5 34.9 or 36.2 so hopefully it likes one of those 3.

another thing to consider is the tune can definitely change how the gun shoot, lots of variables. So far all my heavy liners shoot slugs very well. 

qball it’s pretty wild how one liner will shoot different than another. My groups were horrible with the 29 nsa but awesome with the 29.5. I will eventually get a heavy liner. I want to shoot either the 33.5 34.9 or 36.2 so hopefully it likes one of those 3.

another thing to consider is the tune can definitely change how the gun shoot, lots of variables. So far all my heavy liners shoot slugs very well.

qball I’ve made the decision I’ll be purchasing a heavy liner soon 

I shot a good amount of slugs with the superior and superior heavy liner this summer and the 29's/29.5's were good in both liners. The superior heavy liner only seemed to like the 29s/29.5s and the 38.5s...I didn't have much luck with the 33.5's or the 36.8s...Zan slugs did pretty good out of the heavy liner with the 35's and 37s.

Good to know. My superior liner likes the 29.5. I’m going to keep the as my current tune. But I’m looking at the heavy liner hard. 

I shot a good amount of slugs with the superior and superior heavy liner this summer and the 29's/29.5's were good in both liners. The superior heavy liner only seemed to like the 29s/29.5s and the 38.5s...I didn't have much luck with the 33.5's or the 36.8s...Zan slugs did pretty good out of the heavy liner with the 35's and 37s.

oh! Really? I only shot 1 box of 33.5 and 36.5 grain slugs and they shot really darn well. I honestly haven’t found a NSA slug that shot bad out of the heavy liner, even the 26.5 grain is pretty easy MOA at 100 with just a bit of wind compensation. 

"oh! Really? I only shot 1 box of 33.5 and 36.5 grain slugs and they shot really darn well. I honestly haven’t found a NSA slug that shot bad out of the heavy liner, even the 26.5 grain is pretty easy MOA at 100 with just a bit of wind compensation."

The 33.5's and 36.2's were ok out of the heavy liner but didn't have near the consistency as the 29's/29.5's and the 38.5's. I have a Maverick and my friend has an impact and we both had similar results. I tried multiple tunes to get the 33.5's to be consistent but couldn't get any real good groups. 38.5's seemed much better than the 36.2s. The heavy liner did like the 38.5s when pushed around 1000fps. The Zans's were pretty good but I noticed the poi really changed from the NSA's to the Zan's; not sure if this has something to do with the Zan's having softer lead....but the Zan's really expanded.

What I have noticed is it’s a crap shoot with liners and slugs. I called people from Utah Airgun, The Pellet Shop, and many more. I’ve heard from a technician at UA his impact with a superior liner liked the 33.5. My superior hated them. But I watched Teds last video he did and he said the superior liners really likes the 29.5 and the 38.5. And if you watch Steve’s video on the Maverick review his 100 yard groups was awesome with the 38.5. I’m going to order some and try to report back on here. Box of slugs are cheaper than a new liner lol. I would also like to say I really enjoyed talking to the guys at The Pellet Shop. They will actually talk to you and answer question, not just push you off to the side. 

What I have noticed is it’s a crap shoot with liners and slugs. I called people from Utah Airgun, The Pellet Shop, and many more. I’ve heard from a technician at UA his impact with a superior liner liked the 33.5. My superior hated them. But I watched Teds last video he did and he said the superior liners really likes the 29.5 and the 38.5. And if you watch Steve’s video on the Maverick review his 100 yard groups was awesome with the 38.5. I’m going to order some and try to report back on here. Box of slugs are cheaper than a new liner lol. I would also like to say I really enjoyed talking to the guys at The Pellet Shop. They will actually talk to you and answer question, not just push you off to the side.

You need to slug your liner and order the correct size slugs for it. Ever liner can be slightly different ID so slugging it is the only way to get the correct size slugs.

So far NSA slugs have been very consistent for me and so is Superior heavy liner. My .25 slug A liner didn't like .249 slugs at all but loved all the .250 slugs so it's just a slug size issue. 

I have heavy liners in 500mm .22, 600mm .22 and 700mm .25 and they all shoot amazing. Keep in mind I ALWAY do 2 things to my liners, carbon liner sleeves epoxied on and JB bore polish the choke. Not 100% sure about the polishing the choke but I know the carbon sleeves makes a HUGE difference, I can almost shoot any NSA slugs at almost any speed with just a little bit of fine tuning, I haven't had a slug I didn't get a MOA group at 100 yards lately. In .25 I'm burning through my stock of 26, 29, 33, 36 and 38 grain slugs they all shot very well with minimum tinkering. 

Reactions: Jlowe
So far NSA slugs have been very consistent for me and so is Superior heavy liner. My .25 slug A liner didn't like .249 slugs at all but loved all the .250 slugs so it's just a slug size issue. 

I have heavy liners in 500mm .22, 600mm .22 and 700mm .25 and they all shoot amazing. Keep in mind I ALWAY do 2 things to my liners, carbon liner sleeves epoxied on and JB bore polish the choke. Not 100% sure about the polishing the choke but I know the carbon sleeves makes a HUGE difference, I can almost shoot any NSA slugs at almost any speed with just a little bit of fine tuning, I haven't had a slug I didn't get a MOA group at 100 yards lately. In .25 I'm burning through my stock of 26, 29, 33, 36 and 38 grain slugs they all shot very well with minimum tinkering.

qball when you polish the choke, do you go from the muzzle end or through the breach end. Are you using a nylon rod, I found a carbon fiber cleaning rod. Just worried about damaging the crown. How many stokes or how long do you go back and forth.