Supergrade Model B

I just bought a decent example of the Sheridan “B”. I think it was made in 1949, based on the serial #. I have perused UJ’s list some years back and it seems around 95% of the collected Supers depicted dont work anymore, so I was happy to get one that DOES pump up and shoot pretty well, and all in all, a very fine example.

The finish on the brass is totally gone, but smooth and shiny. The “B’s” had the brass painted black, rather than being chemically blacked like the “A” version.

Being the gun was made when I was barely 5 years old, and looks far and away better than me at this advanced age, I’m pretty impressed at how well its owners have taken care of it. The only comparable rifles I’ve owned are Japanese Sharp Ace side-levers and Heinrinken Sporters, but the stocks on thje Supergrades are real Walnut and more “American-sized.

This gun has renewed my interest in pumpers … I have concentrated a bit too much in precharged models! I have a model “A” too, but it doesn’t work for now … I may try fitting another pump cup, as I suspect the original is hardened up too much.

LD

The model B find is a gem indeed! It will of course cost you nothing to own. Another shooting investment…like the ones you listed above. I also have a few of the nicer old-time Japanese models. It’s good to see someone else appreciating them.

Gun pictures on your phone are super easy. Your phone actually works the best. put your gun on the floor. If you have light beige carpet perfect. Otherwise grab a beige or light blue towel or sheet for a background. Put it on the floor, the gun on top. Turn on all the lights. Stand over the gun center it in the frame you can move the camera up and down. It will be a great picture. Plus, it’s easy to get close-ups of the butt stock etc.Try to keep your shadow out of the picture.

We’re not looking for artwork, we just want to see the cool new rifle you bought. A model B is a once in a lifetime opportunity these days…And you may never get a chance.

The super grades are aptly named!

They are only going up in value.

enjoy

mike

LD
20211023_103440.1635019807.jpg
20211023_103426.1635019809.jpg
20211023_103411.1635019812.jpg
20211023_103232.1635019813.jpg
20211023_103211.1635019813.jpg
First try for pics from phone,

Awesome dude! And awesome find. A model B is the rarest of the rare. Thank you so much for the pics.

That is fantastic wood for a B. It appears the metal has been stripped…polished? Looks cool I would be tempted to leave it that way. And if it’s not polished make it really shiny. But I don’t build air guns.

It looks like new, other than the paint.

mike

Awesome dude! And awesome find. A model B is the rarest of the rare. Thank you so much for the pics.

That is fantastic wood for a B. It appears the metal has been stripped…polished? Looks cool I would be tempted to leave it that way. And if it’s not polished make it really shiny. But I don’t build air guns.

It looks like new, other than the paint.

mike

Flint,

when I got the gun, it looked like the metal had been stripped a long time ago, and it was blotchy, the wood had what seemed to be mostly original shellac or similar, but very worn.

I saw no harm in removing the rest of the wood finish … I used steel wood and sandpaper, no chemical stripper. The metal looked like it had been stripped with paint remover, and I polished the oxidation and stains off with JB Bore Paste. I put a coat of walnut stain on the wood, followed with carnauba wax. 

No serial # on the metal, but both halves of wood have number 100 on them indicating prolly second year of production.

And what would I do with those?

You use those buttons to focus in on just your rifle instead of having the background stuff. It allows you to crop to size. Which makes it easier for people to look at your rifle. I demonstrated with your picture. But either way I could care less, I just like being able to see the pictures 

After all these years, and I’ve never thought of using JB on the outside of the barrel. What a great idea. Way less abrasive than something like Flyts. 

mike