SUPER DEAL ON HALF PRICE CRIMSON TRACE SAME JAPAN FACTORY AS NIGHTFORCE!!!

just curious when I look at their website they no longer list any scopes over 1000, are these being discontinued

according to some people on internet crimson bought nikon’s scope division so all the crimson scopes are Philippine Nikon scopes. Not bad scopes just not Japan scopes, low volume high end scopes won’t make nearly as much money as high volume low price scopes with crazy margins. 

So, quick feedback from my shooting session at lunch. I had a tough time zeroing at 10 yards, due to the parallax issue, but was able to get on target. The reticle was a bit thick, but not bad - sort of the problem with FFP scopes. It was better than the Riton.

Glass was clear, but on my white target I had blue/purple fringing at 25x - chromatic aberration. Not good on a very cloudy day with no direct sun. I will try again tonight to see how it goes in the dark.

Overall, I prefer my Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50.

Hello: 

I was wondering if you can give me some advise on your Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50, I'm thinking of buying one.

I shoot Air Rifle Field Target with my Daystate Pulsar .177 and was going to use it for that. I currently have a Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56. How does the scope do at short ranges, Say 10 yards to 55 yards. I will also be shooting out to 100 - 150 yards with my Daystate Redwolf 22 HP. 

I'd really like to know about the parallax and the range finding for field target. Does it do a good job snapping into focus? 

Any info would be helpful and appreciated. 

Thanks

Scott

The Athlon Midas TAC has a yellow tint in their glass like the Ares and Bushnell Forge and many other cheaper level Chinese scopes.

The new Hawke Frontier appears to have the NICEST glass money can buy. I wasn't sponsored or paid to say this and actually paid for 2 of them with my own money. I'll definitely push them if they ever go on sale.

That's IF you insist on blowing your large wad on a Chinese made scope. They have given me a HOLEY CRAP ITS CLEAR first impression and looks like they copied the Alpha6 in having Leupold like bright and white glass thats uncharacteristic of most Chinese scopes. It's the only other Chinese scope that beats the Japan made $699 SWFA SS 3-15x42 and all other fixed powered ones as well as the (roughly $1460 retail) Japan Bushnell TAC 4.5-30x50 (formerly called Elite 6500 Tactical) that's typically $599 or cheaper clearance sale.

After I read your post I was very interested in the Hawke Frontier but then went to the search function where you said this:

Should be the same factory because they are still ALL CHINESE! I think the Frontiers are way overpriced IMHO. I bought just one just to try and thats that! 

It's real close in clarity to the $165-$299 if you shop smart (OR NOT)Alpha6 OR JSAR with a teeny tiny edge going to the Frontier.

Don't trust generic unknown brands? The BUSHNELL Forge at Natchez for around $460 (HALF PRICE!!!) has preeeeeeeetty good Chinese glass too. I have a couple of the 3-18×50 just too bad for the 25 yard focus but same with the high power Frontier…

Need a cheap sub $200 other than the Alpha6 That's pretty damn clear and you're prejudiced against the also fantastically clear and cheap Vector scopes? Try this!

Barra H30 4-16×50 SFP BDC Illuminated sub $200.

I use the SWFA SS 3-15×42 and the LEUPOLD EFR 6.5-20×40 AO as the baseline to compare other brand optics in clarity.

The JAPAN BUSHNELL TAC 5-15×40 Mildot for $299 sale (WORTH IT AT EVEN $500+) at SWFA is currently the king of bright and clear with perfect clicking turrets "on the cheap" in my book Followed by the Alpha6/JSAR then Vector and the Barra"

Are the 2021 models different? Not trying to be a wise guy just want to know your opinion or why you changed your tune?

Like I said buy the NEW Hawke Frontiers if you have the money to blow. They are night and day clearer than my older Hawke Frontiers but thats my opinion that they are overpriced and if money is not an issue if you are rich and comfortable.

Changed my mind since I just got 2 Frontiers recently and they aren't cheap like the Alpha6 but I must admit first impression I got was WOW it looks like they copied the Alpha6 glass since they don't have the typical yellowing in their new glass which appears common among Chinese scopes. It is what it is. Just don't ever buy an Alpha6 to compare it to then you should be fine. Like I said buy the NEW Hawke Frontier if you can confortably afford it. It gives cheaper lines of Japanese scopes a very good run for their money like the SWFA SS (however even the Alpha6 and Chinese Barra H30 are a few of the other few nicer than the SWFA SS 3-15x42 IMHO)

Theres no other Chinese scope that I have purchased (and returned the majority BTW) whos glass is as nice PERIOD it edges out even the Alpha6 which really blew my mind. They are roughly 4x the street price in comparison though.

I will for sure push the NEW Hawke Frontiers if they ever go on sale so the average guy can buy them.

Many people are happy to pay up to $1200 for their Chinese made scopes anyway so might as well get the clearest one eh?

Like I said don't ever look through an Alpha6 and you will be fine. I use them as a baseline to compare to other Chinese made scopes (and Japan made scopes too in fact all scopes for glass comparison period) to expect at least equivalent glass otherwise they all get returned for refund then NEXT! AND MOST get returned. For some I was a plain stupid idiot to either mount them or missed the return deadline and am just stuck with them. Bought some used scopes too that were real POS also even at half off their regular selling price that I feel are still not even worth half of their selling price.

I have noticed many of my friends who have less than perfect vision seem to be more forgiving to less than perfect optics who really think their Chinese scopes are actually clear all the way to max power like the Element Helix and Titan and Arken SH4 and several levels of Athlons and certain Discovery models like the HD 5-30x 34mm for example and Mueller 8-32x and BSA 4-14x and huge $100 ZOS and many non Japanese Vortex and MTC and Aztec and some Optisans for example. Oh and some even think their Leaper UTGs are equal to expensive optics too (in their opinion even the eyebox that really threw me off).

I use several of my March scopes and Kahles and Tract Toric then Nightforce NX8 then SHV then Sightron S3 to compare the in between Alpha6 and better as the upper baseline of optical greatness. If they aren't as clear as the Alpha6 and at least like equal to the SWFA SS I Probably keep them.

The older Hawke scopes aren't as clear. The NEW Sidewinder 30 and Frontier are a whole different ballgame now for a price. (Of course)

The Crimson Trace 3 is like a Nightforce SHV for under $500 clearance. Their under $800 clearance 5 series is better but not quite as nice as the Tract Toric and Nightforce NX8 4-32x.

The Hawke Frontier I bought several months ago was an older model and that one has inferior glass its hard to believe its the same line of scope. Just like the new Sidewinder 30 glass is way better than the old ones. Really think how is it possible to be the same line of scopes? 

Kind of reminds me of the first OLD great Hawke scope the 6.5-20x42 Sidewinder 30 which seemed the clearest out of all Hawje sidewinder 30s and other levels I compared it to including my first Frontier with a really nice eyebox and sight picture many years ago.

Most of my guns had Hawkes and Japan Bushnell scopes during that time.

That copied post must have been during the middle part of last year 2020. I have since gone through around 100 scopes since then. Most were returned for refund of course and only kept the clear ones that were AT LEAST similar to like the Alpha6 glass. I kept the Midas TAC over couple of the Ares because it had better value for the same yellowish Bushnell Forge type glass. The Forge specifically 4.5-27x50 has the worst yellowing compared to the other Chinese scopes. The 3-18x50 version is less noticeable like the Midas TAC.