• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sunrise to Sunset Pest bird shooting (VIDEO)

Did I see you shoot a red-winged black bird or was that some other species with red on it? Red Winged Blackbirds are protected under the migratory bird act and should not be a target for any shooter. And, I thought you mentioned earlier in the video that you had seen them return and wondered then if you considered them a 'pest' bird for the farmers.

Other than that, nice video and nice shooting.

No, that was a Starling. The way the setting sunlight hit him made his throat appear red.

I have shot redwing blackbirds on farms. Federal Depredation Order covers it if conditions are met. I don't shoot every one I see, depends upon their behavior.

§ 21.43 Depredation order for blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, crows and magpies. A Federal permit shall not be required to control yellow-headed redwinged, rusty, and Brewer’s blackbirds, cowbirds, all grackles, crows, and magpies, when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance: Provided:

1554583123_20427147585ca90e53578ad6.35914200_Clipboard012.jpg

1554582790_16456189385ca90d06744486.28152274_Clipboard011.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. In the picture it sure does look like a red winged. Glad to see folks on here know and are following the rules of the road for pest hunting. In my state, Washington, you have to have a hunting license to even do pest control. Maybe not if it was obvious that a bird damage was about to be eminent. Absurd!! I've had some of the farmers at the permissions say, "If it flies, it Dies." Also had a request to reduce the number of barn cats. I never happen to see any when I am there. However, often a downed Starling can't be found where I saw it drop. Hee Hee!!