• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Sunflower seeds in a bum bag

Has anyone ever put sunflower seeds in a bum bag? If so how did it work? Now I am using a rifle cart I can take on more weight and plan to ditch the styrofoam bean bag balls. Buckwheat hulls aren’t too cheap. I thought of filling the bag up with deer corn but that may be too heavy. That got me to thinking about sunflower seeds. They are pretty light and seems like it should work.

agree with John - you are looking for trouble with food in the bum bag.
I used buckwheat hulls - they are heavy so I looked for an alternative.
I am now using closed cell black foam as used to ship / protect pellets in transit. It's light and stands up well to being sat on. I haven't felt the need to update / refill as I used to with styrofoam balls.

Reactions: Florida_Man
I did it. I went to Tractor Supply Co today and bought a 40lb bag of sunflower seeds for $19.99. I have two bum bags and picked the bigger one and filled it with sunflower seeds. It’s perfect. It feels just like the buckwheat bags I have tried out. Problem is, to my surprise, is it is heavy. It took half the 40lb bag (weighs around 21lbs). I was thinking the sunflower seeds would be lighter. That said, for $20 I can fill both my bags and was able to buy the fill material locally. For $10/bum bag not too bad. I will roll with it for now to insure I like the outcome. If I do I will fill my second bag.

Granulated cork is what we use. It really shapes nicely and supports supper well, and it's fairly light weight. It won't crush down to a smaller size holding it's size and shape without topping up.

I predict you'll be changing out the sunflower seeds when a mouse or rat chews a hole in your bum bag some day soon.

Granulated cork is what we use. It really shapes nicely and supports supper well, and it's fairly light weight. It won't crush down to a smaller size holding it's size and shape without topping up.

I predict you'll be changing out the sunflower seeds when a mouse or rat chews a hole in your bum bag some day soon.
I have livestock and deal with bags of feed all the time and no mouse problems. I think the rattle snakes keep them at bay.

Buckwheat hulls are my favorite, and I've used cork, foam peanuts, foam chunks, etc. They conform to the terrain, and don't continue to move once you're in place. They are more comfortable than foam chunks to sit on, and they don't compress like foam peanuts.

Craig, why are you complaining about price of buckwheat hulls? I've seen your air rifle collection. $$$

Buckwheat hulls are my favorite, and I've used cork, foam peanuts, foam chunks, etc. They conform to the terrain, and don't continue to move once you're in place. They are more comfortable than foam chunks to sit on, and they don't compress like foam peanuts.

Craig, why are you complaining about price of buckwheat hulls? I've seen your air rifle collection. $$$
I spent all my money on rifles for my daughter and me and have none left for buckwheat hulls. I am reduced to sitting on seeds.