Summer tax bill

Doesn't the township know us air gunners have better ways of spending our money. Summer tax bill
20230704_142820.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: drpietrzak
In Georgia, I pay $350 total City and County Taxes a year for a 2400 sf house with .5 acres. I am retired so pay no school tax any more. When I did, it was about $2000. People in highly taxed states could get far more house for the money in Georgia and among other states. Middle class income people come here from California and buy what I consider mansions. 2 of my brothers pay 20 or more times property tax in their states.

they tax you on summer ? WOW 2 times a year ?
maybe this will make it a bit easier ? When i lived in Oak Park IL on a 37 x 120 foot lot (yes 37 feet wide ) my taxes once a year were $14,720 in 2012 when i moved .
We get notified in spring, and the amount can be paid in full or split in half, with the other half due in 6 months. Taxes are much, much less than yours was, for a house on 40 acres. I’ll take dirt roads and lack of some county services as the tradeoff any day.

I have two properties on the east coast, thankfully they are not costing me more than a few hundred dollars each per year in property taxes. I can’t imagine having to write checks like that, twice a year even! Yeesh!! That’s why I have not bought property in the PNW. When the taxes are 5k a year or more, it’s more like renting it at that point than owning it.

I am assuming you can protest the amount? We have protested every increase in the last 10 years, using actual sales of similar properties that we got from our real estate agent. However, if I was to try that this year, I don't think there would be any sales to support it. Just the opposite in fact. Sales would show my current tax assessment is now LOWER than my market value. My property tax assessment doubled two years ago and will probably double again in the next two years. I am seriously looking at moving to a state that doesn't have property tax. No property tax and no state income tax would be ideal. :rolleyes:

My sister's home value has increased 500% in the last 3 years. I warned her that she might want to sell it and move to a less popular area before the county increases her property tax by 500%. She could easily be paying $15,000 to $20,000 a year and more in property tax a few years down the road.