• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Summer tax bill

I have two properties on the east coast, thankfully they are not costing me more than a few hundred dollars each per year in property taxes. I can’t imagine having to write checks like that, twice a year even! Yeesh!! That’s why I have not bought property in the PNW. When the taxes are 5k a year or more, it’s more like renting it at that point than owning it.
Exactly

Yep....gotta watch where you call home, even though it may be a good paying job, you gotta consider the other costs/ expenses. I live about 8-20 mikes from a small town, but that small town is expanding quickly. As it expands, so does the taxes !! People don't realize that when a town expands, they claim it brings in more taxes for the community....it does...are own !!! My taxes were 1600 when I built, over time went up to 3400, went down and ask for a full detailed tax appraisel....when they had to give details they couldn't !! Got my taxes rolled back to just under 2800 a year for 5 plus acers of land. Love it here as we have very few restrictions !!

When we bought our home 15 years ago we paid 150K for it. Taxes are 1% of assessed value. Five years ago the house was assessed at 210K and last year it appraised for $515K, Assessment is usually a year behind appraisal. Can’t wait for next years tax figure.
Between inflated taxes, food costs, and an angry wife, i may hang it up next year.

Live with my 86 yr old father and he gets it twice. Village, (small town, maybe 6400 people), taxes are usually about $1400. Then the county of course wants their share, so another $1400.
No clue how that's going to change with the crazy rise in home prices here and that his house, once assessed at $69K is now assessed at $144.9K.

Reactions: Rawroots
It was $700 a year but they just raised our bill because our next door neighbors paid $500k for their place. We both have 40 acres but their house is double the size of ours and both my shed and garage is only have the size of theirs. By the way, we get NO services out here. No police patrols, no maintenance of the dirt roads, nada!

Reactions: jetpopt
Threads like this remind me how lucky I am.
I removed myself from the western world many years ago.

Small but modern Bulgarian town. 11 room house, garage outside workshop etc. Roughly a 1000 square yard plot.

My annual property taxes are less than 50 USD.

Admittedly we don't have large a income but we live well, in comparison.

Good luck to all.

Yep....gotta watch where you call home, even though it may be a good paying job, you gotta consider the other costs/ expenses. I live about 8-20 mikes from a small town, but that small town is expanding quickly. As it expands, so does the taxes !! People don't realize that when a town expands, they claim it brings in more taxes for the community....it does...are own !!! My taxes were 1600 when I built, over time went up to 3400, went down and ask for a full detailed tax appraisel....when they had to give details they couldn't !! Got my taxes rolled back to just under 2800 a year for 5 plus acers of land. Love it here as we have very few restrictions !!
True, but there is a second crucial factor: What OTHER taxes exist, besides property tax?

We lived for a few years in NW WA. The already-high property taxes shot up something like 30% at least two years in a row, with no end in sight. Sometimes places jack up the property taxes when they perceive a bunch of “rich” newcomers in town, so they can pay for long-damaged or neglected infrastructure that the good ol’ boys (or in this case, good ol’ gals, too) didn’t want to dump on their cronies. Meanwhile, sales taxes in the city came to almost 10%. Sounds awful, and it was, but...

The offsetting factor in this area was that there was no state income tax. Good for high-earning younger people but not good for retirees.

Across the state line in OR, the state had an income tax—but no sales tax.

Pick yer combo of poisons.

It was $700 a year but they just raised our bill because our next door neighbors paid $500k for their place. We both have 40 acres but their house is double the size of ours and both my shed and garage is only have the size of theirs. By the way, we get NO services out here. No police patrols, no maintenance of the dirt roads, nada!
Sounds like my place!

True, but there is a second crucial factor: What OTHER taxes exist, besides property tax?

We lived for a few years in NW WA. The already-high property taxes shot up something like 30% at least two years in a row, with no end in sight. Sometimes places jack up the property taxes when they perceive a bunch of “rich” newcomers in town, so they can pay for long-damaged or neglected infrastructure that the good ol’ boys (or in this case, good ol’ gals, too) didn’t want to dump on their cronies. Meanwhile, sales taxes in the city came to almost 10%. Sounds awful, and it was, but...

The offsetting factor in this area was that there was no state income tax. Good for high-earning younger people but not good for retirees.

Across the state line in OR, the state had an income tax—but no sales tax.

Pick yer combo of poisons.
One of the many reasons we moved out of the high desert of SoCal was our property tax doubled between 1 years and the next and when you called the sheriff's office to complain about neighbors partying until all hours of the night they wouldn't even come out until more than 3 people called to complain.🤬

We don't have mountain scenery or ocean front views and our taxes are not cheap....but when compared to what others have...we are doing pretty good !! Local sheriff is very responsive, road maintenence is excellent, we retirees get a decent property tax discount, no state income tax on soc sec, but our electric rates are high, just jumped up by 33% thanks to building a base for EV's. Best part is,I am in the walleye capital of the world, and in my area, we can shoot what ever we want ! Everyone on my road has a gun range !!!

Reactions: Rawroots