Tuning Suggestions on power increase on my 1998 RWS M34 Springer

Loaned out my trusty old 34 to a neighbor and it came back with a very rough cocking effort and erratic shot string. When I cocked it I was like holy poop. I think the spring is broken, going to make a spring compressor and have a look. I chronographed it last year at 660 with Crosman 14.3s for just under 12 ft. lbs. Looking to bump it up if possible. Vortek has a kit with spring guide etc for about a hundred bucks. They claim to increase to 720 fps or so but with a higher cocking effort. One fellow on another forum claimed a weaker spring from Macarri, unknown to me, will gain the same increase with reduced cocking effort. Counter intuitive but possible? Anybody have experience with this.

Spring compressors are nice to have but you really don't need one for a D34. Just drill a hole in a block for the safety lever to sit in and you're good to go. 

Punch out both pins and when you finish punching out pin #2, the punch itself will lock the trigger unit and spring in the gun.

Place the block on the floor and then place the gun on the block with the safety in the hole and the barrel pointing vertically. Press down and you'll feel the tension get relieved from the punch. Remove the punch, and slowly let the gun come back up. Congrats! You now have access to the spring!

To reinstall, just reverse the procedure. There isn't really a lot of preload on that spring so it is very simple to do.

Reactions: Dan25
Worked like a charm! Thanks much for the tip. BTW the spring was broken into four chunks, a long one, two with three rings and one with two rings. Is this a record? It also damaged the nylon washer. I have been thinking of putting a tune kit in it anyhow. Do you have any suggestions on a tune kit? Vortek or Macarri? Im wanting to bump it was shooting around 660 fps before I let the neighbor use it. I want to bump it up but not willing to give away accuracy.

Glad it worked out for you. Yeah that seems about right. I haven't had any break on me (yet) but every time I see a picture of a broken one it is typically in a few different pieces. I assume its from continuous shooting after it breaks. 

I dont know which tune kits work best in a D34 unfortunately. I used a bunch of the Vortek kits in my HWs but I also use a couple ARH kits too. Both work very well. I would probably opt for that GRT kit from Maccari in your case. Based on your needs, that seems like a good fit.

I suspect you have a to1 trigger. If that's the case you would be better off going with the Marconi kit. The vortec kits are a little too long to fit in the to1 trigger guns. At least it was in my diana 48. I couldn't use the top hat that came with the kit. Marconi has a kit designed for the to1 trigger.

Well so much for needing a different kit for the to1 on the 34.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/2514146.htm