• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Suggestions on a Springer in .25cal for small to medium game hunting (hogs)?

Hello Forum,

First post here. I'm new to Air Guns outside of the single pump Crosman and Daisy styles as a kid. So, the Air Guns out today are vastly more advanced than when I remember. Anyways. Family has a Benjamin Bulldog already in .357. I wanted to ask what is a good Springer, compact style Air Rifle that can shoot both pellets and slugs where it can be used from squirrels all the way up to say yotes and hogs? Live in GA so hog hunting is year round. Starting to see yotes in parts not seen before. One suggestion was a Hatsan 125 Sniper. Can you guys offer some guidance on these? Thanks again and looks like an awesome forum to be a part of.

Get a Benjamin marauder 25cal it's a pcp and on sale on Amazon

I do fancy those Marauders as the videos have looked great. He's 12 and I'm not sure if it would be too heavy for him. And, I kinda want him to have a single shot to start with. But, I guess you can single shot with it and take away the magazine on the Marauder and he can have it for life. Just have to get air to fill it. I guess I could get him a hand pump to build his muscles and stamina up too haha. I was looking more at a Sprinter or Gas Piston. I see the Springer tends to have more energy and accuracy but the Gas Piston is easier for newbies. 

You're correct. .30 cal and higher for hunting deer and such in GA. Hogs not so sure. But you're correct, I'll check those for sure. Thanks again!!!

I am fairly certain they are refering to PCP guns, not springers. I dont know of any springer that would produce enough ebergy to take deer or hogs.

I agree. I wouldn't dream of hunting a deer with a springer. But, I would think from yotes to maybe a small <100lb hog would be doable at a say 25-30 yard head shot in the earhole or right between the eyes with a 30-33gr slug right? Or am I dreaming? Again, have a Bulldog in .357 for larger stuff. This would be for small to medium including squirrel, frogs, birds, g-hogs, foxes, yotes, small hogs. That's what I'm thinking. If I'm off my square on this, let me know about it. Would never want an animal to suffer due to inadequate tools. That's why I'm posting here to get educated outside of watching youtube videos and reading articles online. Maybe someone with some longtime "real-world" usage can share their knowledge. 

Keith Warren on YouTube has videos of him taking small texas hogs with gamo .22 springers.

Yeah, I saw that video and he wouldn't take the shot more than 25 yards and that's something I paid attention to. That gave me a great idea of what an ethical distance for stretching the limit to on that rifle. I want my nephew to be able to know these things. And I want to be able to teach him properly and instill it in him so he understands that as well. 

I used to have the 125 vortex setup. Pretty good gun. I believe it would get the job done but you'd have to be fairly close probably under 30 yards for a clean head shot. Also, the cocking force was about 50 lbs so that might show a problem for him if he's a small frame. I'm now running a marauder in 25 with a hand pump and it feels like a much more confident setup. 

I used to have the 125 vortex setup. Pretty good gun. I believe it would get the job done but you'd have to be fairly close probably under 30 yards for a clean head shot. Also, the cocking force was about 50 lbs so that might show a problem for him if he's a small frame. I'm now running a marauder in 25 with a hand pump and it feels like a much more confident setup.

Hmmmm. I was trying to avoid the PCP route really as it requires an additional item (tank, pump, compressor, etc) for him to hunt/plink with. On the bulldog, family uses that for larger game so that makes sense and we fill it to a little over 3000psi. Sweet spot seems to be between 2900-2500. Can take anything here in GA at 100 yards in confidently. He is a skrawny 14 year old. Maybe a Gamo or Benjamin in .22cal would be a better option than .25cal and cocking wise too. I've been reading and seeing videos there doesn't seem to be much difference between .22 and .25cal so maybe that route would be a better option. But, I kinda wanted him to have something he could grow into. Or, he can get his own .25cal later in life if he desires to. There is no shortage of men with .22caliber pellet guns so if they work for them, he shouldn't be an exception I'd suppose. 

You're correct. .30 cal and higher for hunting deer and such in GA. Hogs not so sure. But you're correct, I'll check those for sure. Thanks again!!!

I am fairly certain they are refering to PCP guns, not springers. I dont know of any springer that would produce enough ebergy to take deer or hogs.

Well, actually the main problem with springers would be the accuracy required with that one cold shot to be placed in the brain more then the lack of power.

A 22 caliber may penetrate better at equivalent energy and the ammo is certainly cheaper. The only one of my 3 pcps which will shoot through 3/4 plywood (seems like a reasonable test for hog skull capable) at 25 yards is my Avenger in 25, tuned to shoot 25.4 grain at 930 fps - about 45 ft. lbs. It will also do it with King Heavies going about 100 fps slower. My P35 shooting 20 grain FTTs at 875 or 28 grain slugs at about 750 fps or 34 grain slugs at about 700 fps will not shoot through the plywood. My only 22 is a Prod shooting 14.66 grain FTT at about 700 fps. It won't shoot through 1/2 inch of plywood.

I don't know a lot about springers but I would want to see near 900 fps on a heavy for its caliber pellet or slug to think about even brain shots on hogs.

25s knock down small game better than 22s, however. My Prod works fine but squirrels may take a few steps with a solid vitals hit that they do not take when hit with one of my 25s. Bigger hole seems to make a difference. Brain shots I don't think it matters but body shots I think it does. But a reasonably high powered 22 is certainly adequate for small game.

A PCP with a hand pump would work. I used a hand pump initially including charging my Avenger with it. 4000 psi may not be reasonably possible for a smaller person but 3,000 should be. Any of my guns will work at 3,000. I charged the Avenger with an inexpensive Chinese made hand pump.

A 22 caliber may penetrate better at equivalent energy and the ammo is certainly cheaper. The only one of my 3 pcps which will shoot through 3/4 plywood (seems like a reasonable test for hog skull capable) at 25 yards is my Avenger in 25, tuned to shoot 25.4 grain at 930 fps - about 45 ft. lbs. It will also do it with King Heavies going about 100 fps slower. My P35 shooting 20 grain FTTs at 875 or 28 grain slugs at about 750 fps or 34 grain slugs at about 700 fps will not shoot through the plywood. My only 22 is a Prod shooting 14.66 grain FTT at about 700 fps. It won't shoot through 1/2 inch of plywood.

I don't know a lot about springers but I would want to see near 900 fps on a heavy for its caliber pellet or slug to think about even brain shots on hogs.

25s knock down small game better than 22s, however. My Prod works fine but squirrels may take a few steps with a solid vitals hit that they do not take when hit with one of my 25s. Bigger hole seems to make a difference. Brain shots I don't think it matters but body shots I think it does. But a reasonably high powered 22 is certainly adequate for small game.

A PCP with a hand pump would work. I used a hand pump initially including charging my Avenger with it. 4000 psi may not be reasonably possible for a smaller person but 3,000 should be. Any of my guns will work at 3,000. I charged the Avenger with an inexpensive Chinese made hand pump.

Okay so with that said, the suggestion earlier for the Marauder or an Avenger in .25cal PCP with a hand pump seems to be the better option. And from what I can tell, .177 and .22 can be found in Wally World. .25cal's not so much but they are easily found in other venues. And, can always get a .25cal mold, scrounge source some old led from tire shops or what not and make more if needed. Okay, then the .25 pcp may be the better option. Just finding a good hand pump that won't break the bank is the other search. Thanks for the suggestions. I do think the .25 would be the better option really. And in a PCP, I guess even if magazine fed, can treat it like a single shot bolt action and not give him the magazine. Almost like what my grandpa did to me growing up. We grew up on revolvers and he only taught us how to shoot DA. I was like 22-23 one day we were hunting and he cocked the hammer back and shot in SA and I was like WTF??? He laughed and was like you needed to learn DA first before I showed you SA. I just forgot to show you SA hahaha. Crazy old man God rest his soul!!!

May I suggest using what you have, the Bulldog, for hogs and coyotes paired with a shooting tripod and matching ball head, saddle, or plate adapter (picatinny to arca plate) so that the “scrawny” young man is not overwhelmed or easily fatigued by the weight? It can shoot slugs and pellets just fine. I wouldn’t entertain the idea of shooting hogs or coyotes with springers. It really sounds like a bad idea all the way around unless you are some sort of rare elite shooter with a great amount of experience using the appropriate ammo and gun.