Suggestions on a small, economical daytime monocular?

I'm looking for a monocular I can clip to a lanyard and hang around my neck or slip into a pocket. I'd like to have something light and compact. This is for occasional hunting, woods walking, and not-very-serious bird watching. I don't want to spend a lot--but I don't want to spend too little and have to do it over. I'd prefer to stay under $125. Right now I'm looking at the Vortex Solo line. Probably an 8x or 10x. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. Pat

I had a Vortex 8X25 for a while. It was a fairly handy piece of equipment, and the optics were very decent for the price. Only negative I had was the focus ring was very stiff on mine, and took two hands to look through and adjust at the same time. The 8X was a nice usable magnification, not sure I'd want a 10X as it would have too much "shake" in the image for me.

If I were buying new today, I'd think hard about the 36mm over the 25mm 8X version. It should be brighter, and have a larger FOV which can be a BIG deal when you are only using one eye.

I "upgraded" to a much more expensive pair of compact binoculars and like them better.

I believe Leica used to make a little more high end monocular, and I know Maven optics did too. Just a couple other options to consider.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Vortex 8x36 and I'm happy. I prefer the 8x to a 10x for hand held use. I find the glass decent for the price. I have a set of Nikon 10x50 binocs that are nicer but they are very big and the monocular I just toss in my truck bag and have it with me all the time.

I had a higher end, I forget who made it, Steiner maybe that was a 10x50 maybe monocular, the 10x was just too jittery for hand glassing. It was also bigger. There are a lot fewer choices for monoculars it seems now.

bender-monocle.gif
Is this what you're looking for?

Reactions: douger
I thought to reply when I first saw this post but waited because I have been looking for a "value" monocular since the late '80's and was wondering what others had found. I have bought and tried a boat load and most were returned, including the Vortex and Minox. Vortex makes a good high dollar unit (Recon) but it is too big and I was underwhelmed by the solo's. The best monocular is the Leica, flatout it's the best of the smaller units. I always thought it was too much money to be banging around in my pocket daily so I never bought it. The Zeiss are very good too but again big bucks for an edc. I got spoiled by Leica and Swarovski compact binoculars and everthing else takes a ratings hit because of it. The bottom line is that there are not any hidden gems out there, especially if you want lightweight/compact/quality. There are cheaper big half-binocular units that have a decent view but weigh the same as compact binoculars. There use to be really high quality mini Nikon monoculars too but I don't believe they make them anymore and they maxed out at a 7x 15D HG model. The Nikon's problem was a very short eye relief but you can still find used ones on Ebay. Which leads me to the monocular that I "settled" on some years ago; it also has a ridiculously short eye relief but the optics are acceptable, priced $120ish, and the size is right, Doctor (now Noblex) 8x21 porroprism fold flat. Unfortunately it's discontinued, but there could be old stock somewhere and I'm sure Ebay too. Good luck on your search.

Thanks PumaCarl. I have the Vortex on order but it's an easy return if I'm not happy with it. Looking around for a Noblex but haven't found one yet. Thanks for your post.
You know, thinking on it, you might just want to get the 6x18 Zeiss. It has an a 3mm exit pupil (which is big for a mini-monocular) only weighs 2 ounces, has usable eye relief, excellent optics, and is available. It's cons are: it's not waterproof, it is made of plastic, and it has a sliding focus. After saying that, it's "cons" are done well and it is still a quality piece. To get metal, waterproof, mechanical focus, small quality, = the Leica's, is about $150 more. It's all what your priorities are. Those mini-Nikon monoculars are still available (at least on Ebay) and are about the same money as the Zeiss. The Nikon5x15D HG is still sold in the U.S. on Amazon, and the 7x15D HG I only found on Ebay in Japan. The thing with the Nikons is that they are extremely small and very easy to carry. The 5x model was the more popular because it had longer eye relief, wider field of view, and It wow'd people more to look through. From what you originally asked it is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for but more difficult to get. The Doctor-Noblex one is okay at a third of the price but is also a third of the unit of the Zeiss or Nikon and even less than that compared to the Leica. Something so small that you always don't mind carrying it, and it's worth carrying, is the trick. If you are willing to carry one that weighs over 8 ounces there are a lot of low priced 8x30 and bigger units. Everybody around AGN says pcp airguns are a rabbithole to fall into but optics, watches and knives are just as bad. If you just want to get a cheapie throw-away while trying to decide if the search is really worth it to you, go Bushnell. Bushnell makes the best of the cheapies by far.

PumaCarl, I received the Vortex mono this afternoon. Even in good light the optics quality was disappointing. I compared it to a set of compact Nikon binoculars I own. The glass quality on the Nikon was significantly better, they were not that much larger, and they didn't seem to weigh much more. I packed up the Vortex for return shipping. Fortunately no shipping charge coming or going. I'll check out the monoculars that you mentioned (thank you), but right now I'm inclined to stay with the Nikon binoculars.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

@GunshipGuy Do you notice any type of adavntage using a monocular over binoculars while hunting? If so, within what range? I’ve taken a range finder out for close to medium range hunting. I think it uses 7x magnification. That definitely has a different feel than binos. The most noticeable difference is trying to scan the environment with one eye open. Trying to hold the other eye shut got to be tiring.

@GunshipGuy Do you notice any type of adavntage using a monocular over binoculars while hunting? If so, within what range? I’ve taken a range finder out for close to medium range hunting. I think it uses 7x magnification. That definitely has a different feel than binos. The most noticeable difference is trying to scan the environment with one eye open. Trying to hold the other eye shut got to be tiring.
I have very limited experience with monos, but I think we're on the same page. The major difference I saw was what you described. I found it harder to scan the area with the mono. l also have a Nikon 6x20 rangefinder. If don't want to carry the binoculars, the range finder doesn't take up much space and gives me a monocular and of course, a rangefinder. I've quite looking for a monocular.

@GunshipGuy I see. I didn’t know if there was something to be gained by using one. The main advantage that came to mind was a the lighter weight, but it just doesn’t seem to take the place of glassing with both eyes while out in the thick of the timber. That isn’t to say that it’s not possible to use a single lens. For example, I think a spotting scope is more desirable to use to key in on animals in order to observe behavior for considerably longer periods of time. That generally requires a tripod and use of one eye. It doesn’t seem to matter if the other eye is open or closed because I guess my brain already knows to focus on an image that’s been identified as opposed to trying to distinguish an animal from its environment while panning and viewing the environment simultaneously from two different magnifications. Anyhow, just a thought. Thanks for the response.

@GunshipGuy I see. I didn’t know if there was something to be gained by using one. The main advantage that came to mind was a the lighter weight, but it just doesn’t seem to take the place of glassing with both eyes while out in the thick of the timber. That isn’t to say that it’s not possible to use a single lens. For example, I think a spotting scope is more desirable to use to key in on animals in order to observe behavior for considerably longer periods of time. That generally requires a tripod and use of one eye. It doesn’t seem to matter if the other eye is open or closed because I guess my brain already knows to focus on an image that’s been identified as opposed to trying to distinguish an animal from its environment while panning and viewing the environment simultaneously from two different magnifications. Anyhow, just a thought. Thanks for the response.
I've been using a Hawke 8X42mm Monocular Endurance model ..Any power beyond 8x is going to be shaky and hard to hold still and less of a field of view .42mm objective lens gathers lots of light for a bright image .This monocular can be used with one hand easily and the focus dial is within reach of your thumb or index finger.I can sight in on small game faster with this monocular than binoculars. Lightweight can handle on a lanyard on your neck and not be cumbersome. You can use it both eyes open just like some people shoot through scopes.This monocular sells for $118 to $125 on Amazon.