• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suggestions for a .177 Backyard Plinker?

For 350.00 you can buy an Air Venturi Avenger, New. Used in the 225.00 to 250.00 range for the Plastic stock version
Go up a little more in money and get the Wood stock version

Great shooter
Quiet, Backyard Friendly
Has a Regulator so shot string will be constant
Power adjustability
Hand Pump Friendly

Pretty much checks all your boxes and is a Much better gun than the Arrow.....
Another good one!

Lots of good suggestions, folks.
I already have a .22 PCP, so sticking to .177 for this next one.
Low power and high shot count are what I'm after in a plinker, used rifle is fine.
Arrow and used Marauder are in the lead so far.
I like springers, I'm looking for a PCP in this case as a possible pass-along to introduce my son and grandson to PCP.

Regards,
Bob.
I've posted this before, but I really like it, so here goes.

Diana Chaser with a Froggy's Airguns drop block and an 800 psi hpa tank. I also added a carbon fiber sleeve over the barrel and an ATI cheek riser. 150 to 200 shots at 9 fpe in .177 and it comes in under $300.
47424.jpeg

Yeah if you enjoy tinkering, a world of options is available to you. If it needs to be ready out of the box, the number of low power, high shot count PCPs under $300 is pretty small. The ones that do exist will generally need some amount of tinkering to really squeeze the most out of them. For example, like bfloyd I would consider the Avenger. At a minimum I would plan to set the regulator to its lowest reliable pressure, which will very likely require the hammer spring to be shortened so as not to waste air and produce excess noise. Pretty much everything at this price point will have similar things that will need attention. If not need, at least want.

Reactions: Clear Fork
I can't vouch for the gun or the seller, but, there is a Gamo Coyote in .177 for SALE in the classifieds that may be worth considering. If I am right, not sure, it is basically a Gamo Urban but in a wood stock in .177. The Urbans have quite a good reputation, unlike their break barrel brethren. I think this gun may satisfy most of your wants, except for the new part.

I've posted this before, but I really like it, so here goes.

Diana Chaser with a Froggy's Airguns drop block and an 800 psi hpa tank. I also added a carbon fiber sleeve over the barrel and an ATI cheek riser. 150 to 200 shots at 9 fpe in .177 and it comes in under $300.View attachment 311101
I would be lucky to get in and out of the woods without serious damage to that one. I might get back to the truck with a $300 walking stick! But it is interesting.

Mike Melnick has a B50 .22 for a excellent price.View attachment 311100
If Mike still has these and at $150 each fully rebuilt DEAL! For folks who dont esp. in .177 these were super accurate, and tune well for an 1.800psi fill. An exact (Exact) copy of the Daystate Huntsman. If I did not still own 2 I would absolutely purchase one today.

And in case the OP is still researching a bit of information on the B50/51: https://www.airrifle.co.za/library/The_BAM_B50_book_by_ChrisK.pdf

John

Reactions: Clear Fork
If Mike still has these and at $150 each fully rebuilt DEAL! For folks who dont esp. in .177 these were super accurate, and tune well for an 1.800psi fill. An exact (Exact) copy of the Daystate Huntsman. If I did not still own 2 I would absolutely purchase one today.

And in case the OP is still researching a bit of information on the B50/51: https://www.airrifle.co.za/library/The_BAM_B50_book_by_ChrisK.pdf

John
Is that Mike Melick from Flying Dragon? I don't see it on their site.

Seems he just jets a order of somthing in he can tune ,fix up and sell as he wants. The blog keep more updated on that stuff he has to offer. Like the older "b" pcp he got on a old stock warehouse deal. He offered them as is you fix up or resealed he fixed up and will back up.
This supply chain deal and his stuff from china dont help . Its get what he can and offer a good deal on what he can do . ( Opinion). I notice he not even doing any beemans (R9) in a long time now that he had on a near regular basis before.

I can't vouch for the gun or the seller, but, there is a Gamo Coyote in .177 for SALE in the classifieds that may be worth considering. If I am right, not sure, it is basically a Gamo Urban but in a wood stock in .177. The Urbans have quite a good reputation, unlike their break barrel brethren. I think this gun may satisfy most of your wants, except for the new part.
If I wasn’t on “Restriction”, I would have purchased that Coyote al ready.

I agree with Hw9720. Get an Hw30 or a Beeman R7(they are the same rifle) in.177. You will have a very nice, high quality air rifle that will last a lifetime. They are the ultimate backyard plinker and with a nice scope capable of plinking out to 50 yards too.
Kenny
You are right about the R7 and HW30 being the same, but mechanically only. The stock is the difference. I just bought a Beeman R7 , instead of the HW30 because I like the look and feel of the R7. I already had an HW30 but in a custom stock. I sold it because I have the R7 now. The picture is the HW30 I sold.

IMG-0808.jpg