Suggestions for .30 FX M3 Impact

IMG_1211.jpeg

I had a rare dead calm evening here and shot a 1MOA 23-shot group at 100yds with JSB 44gr in the 1:37 liner. Next time I went out, it was back to light breeze conditions and 2-3MOA at 100yd. That's what got me really looking into slugs. The no wind accuracy of the JSB 44gr is addicting and I want that in more normal conditions. I also want to shoot out to 200 yards and pellets are not doing that. The big problem with .30 slugs right now is that the selection is really poor compared to .22 and .25. With the same selection, I'm sure .30 would to just as well as the smaller calibers.

Another note on barrels - everyone needs to pay close attention not to the name, but actual twist rate of their .30 superior barrels since twist rates have changed 3 times. The first .30 Superior barrel was 1:40 or 1:37. Then later, the first standard hybrid liner was introduced at 1:26 and the heavy liner at that time was 1:22. Not long after, the standard liner was changed to 1:22 and heavy liner to 1:18. We still have the 1:37 liner also, but it is now called 'slow twist pellet liner' or something. What I suspect happened was that the 1:26 liner wasn't stabilizing the hybrid slugs at anything but really high speeds (which is what some initial user reports on the hybrid slugs were saying), so they dropped it to 1:22 to work across a wider range of speeds. Who knows what slug weights are best for the 1:18 heavy now. My 1:18 liner did worse for all slug weights up to and including the new NSA 54.5gr, so maybe its a bad liner or maybe the 1:22 is good for a wider range than expected?

Well, ...this thread is depressing. I am on the same hunt with an Evol w/a 1 in 26" TJ 18" my reg is at 160 bar and this barrel loves the FX Hybrids at 905fps. I know it's comparing apples to oranges but it certainly isn't the twist rate or the speed for me. However, the NSA 47.2gr NSA slugs don't work for me either. I just ordered the next two sizes up and will try it all again when I increase my plenum. I hope it's not a dead end, because I want to just fun shoot at distance too.

I’ve had a hell of a time shooting slugs out of my M3 .30 superior heavy liner, so called ment for slugs couldn’t find anything to work spent a lot on slugs and time to tune them. Then I just switched back to the superior liner and the hybrids did great should have started there cause my slug liner isn’t even a good paper weight. Anyways hybrid was the way to go for me in the original liner for my M3 in .30 cal. Mine is shooting well at 1007fps with no mods to gun other than the NSA slug probe which neted me 12fps on average in velocity increase, so that was nice. I have the tungsten hammer weight and the Huma 3rd gen regulator ment for higher pressures. Think I’m just going to hold on to them because chasing the slug thing really don’t sound fun. Love what I have going on right now with the hybrids.

Reactions: 450BM
Maybe it's not the slugs but the barrel.
Try going to Ă  heavy superior linner.
They should shoot hybrids and pellets great with the stock barrel but maybe need a faster twist rate with heavier slugs.
1-1 1/2" group is not uncommen with no wind.
Guys talk about less than 1 inch all day long, but let's keep it real, your looking Ă  1-1 1/2" is good by my standards
Start with the basics and use pellets to see if you get good groups. Once you get good groups with pellets, move on to the slugs.
If you can't get good groups with pellets, it Ă  lost cause to move to slugs.
It's time to look at other options with a different liner.
I make my own slugs so I have options to see what works best out of my guns.
Over the counter amo is OK but start with good groups with pellets and see if it's not the liner. Sommes the factory liner is defective or has a flat in it.