• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suggestions for 1st airgun and scope please

You may want to add some more info, specifically intended use. Short range vs long range target and/or whether you're looking to hunt squirrels or deer.
Hello,I did this in field target topic...I'm from Portugal and the distances of targets are from 10 to 50 metres and classes of pcp are under 12ft and 12ft+
Basically my boubt is if I should 50٪of money with gun and 50% on scope or..it should be a 80/20...u know what I mean? How important are scopes in field target? Even more then the gun itself? Or a 1k gun and 500 dollars scope is the way to go...

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Basically I want to spend around 1600 dollars in field target equipment and don't know exactly what yo buy bc there are so many options
I can help you with optics. I use a Falcon X50 that I purchased through Krale for $800 USD. Mundilar in Portugal may have them for a similar price. A second hand Daystate Revere would keep you about within budget and you'd have a pretty nice setup.

Hello guys with all the options we have on the market I'm kinda lost on witch airgun+scope combo I need to buy for first time to get into field target.
Would like to spend around 1.5k for both rifle and scope.
PCP only
Any good suggestions please?
Thank you
What rules set and division are you looking at participating in? This is a HUGE determining factor. It also determines what equipment you need in addition to the gun and scope.

It's best to talk with a local field/club to get ideas. I went to one match and was handed a rifle so I could participate. I was hooked. Many will let you shoot their rifles too.

It was encouraged to spend more on a scope initially as you can move it to another rifle later. This is sound advice.

An Athlon argos g2, Hawke sidewinder (I'll have to get the exact models when I get home) are good starting points.

An avenge x is a good rifle to start with on an entry level. However depending on the rules and division there might be better options. This is why going to a field is helpful.

Keep in mind you need to think about how you are going to fill the rifle? You'll need a scba tank or compressor. These run several hundred dollars to start.

What rules set and division are you looking at participating in? This is a HUGE determining factor. It also determines what equipment you need in addition to the gun and scope.

It's best to talk with a local field/club to get ideas. I went to one match and was handed a rifle so I could participate. I was hooked. Many will let you shoot their rifles too.

It was encouraged to spend more on a scope initially as you can move it to another rifle later. This is sound advice.

An Athlon argos g2, Hawke sidewinder (I'll have to get the exact models when I get home) are good starting points.

An avenge x is a good rifle to start with on an entry level. However depending on the rules and division there might be better options. This is why going to a field is helpful.

Keep in mind you need to think about how you are going to fill the rifle? You'll need a scba tank or compressor. These run several hundred dollars to start.
Thanks a lot for all this good information, as far as I know in pcp there's only two divisions in Portugal(-12ft ) power and +12ft.
At the moment I have a hand pump to fill my gamo arrow , so -12ft power should be the category to start.
A nice regulated sub 12ft pcp airgun paired with a decent scope looks like the best option for me ,it looks like
For example a fx dreamline classic 4.5 + hawke sidewinder scope ? Not sure about scope model..the one with max magnification and 60mm?

Well, that's a tall order if you want to be competitive... I'd look for a used Air Arms s 400FT or S510 and adjust it down to 12fpe... or a new Kral Pro 500.

Hopefully, your used purchase comes with a hamster and decent buttstock..
Let's say this cost you $850.
That leaves you $750 ish for a scope..
again used: Falcon X50 503 or Nikko 10-50x60 diamond, or Sightron 10-50x60 S111.

or new Athlon Heras 15-60 x56

Hi
I would recommend Fx Dreamline and Element Helix scope.
Great accurate setup and adjustable power for different projectiles.
IMG_20231029_083659.jpg

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Yeah i have hand.pump but will but a scuba tank.
Gotcha, just making sure you were good to go and not screwing yourself on your budget. I would suggest a gun for you, but in reality the gun you're most comfortable with will be your best fit for shooting FFT. So if you have the opportunity to try out some guns before you buy, I would do that. Before getting hung up on any brand. But you should focus more on the quality of the optic, guns can be tuned where as scopes cannot.

When you say $500 scope the one that comes to mind is the one I use myself, the Vector Optics Minotaur 12-60x60 GenII MFL SFP.

Price should be between $400-500 depending on where you order from.
It's a big scope though but has the highest magnification for the price as far as I know.

Gotcha, just making sure you were good to go and not screwing yourself on your budget. I would suggest a gun for you, but in reality the gun you're most comfortable with will be your best fit for shooting FFT. So if you have the opportunity to try out some guns before you buy, I would do that. Before getting hung up on any brand. But you should focus more on the quality of the optic, guns can be tuned where as scopes cannot.
Just by curiosity, what would be your suggestion? Thanks for that advice, really appreciated 👍

When you say $500 scope the one that comes to mind is the one I use myself, the Vector Optics Minotaur 12-60x60 GenII MFL SFP.

Price should be between $400-500 depending on where you order from.
It's a big scope though but has the highest magnification for the price as far as I know.
Amazing product, didn't know about this one at all...thanks

Just by curiosity, what would be your suggestion? Thanks for that advice, really appreciated 👍
Fx streamline, fx dreamline, fx crown, brk pathfinder. The stream and dream you could find for around $800, the rest over 1k. I used to have a benjamin Akela, that for me, was amazing to hold and shoot. Didn't matter if it was 25yds or 100yds it was a tack driver, you can adjust the speed with a power wheel, you get about 55 usable shots and this was in .22. Not sure what caliber you're going for but they do have it in .177 as well it just needs some minor modifications to shoot consistently well.

I would definitely check a local club first. A lot of these recommendations are great for shooting American Hunter class off of shooting sticks, but that may not be how field target is shot in Portugal. And a local club probably has some members looking to sell a gun or scope that would be better than trying to use an inexpensive new gun that isn't the right thing for your local matches.