Suggestions 200+ yard slug gun

Hey guys, 

Basically I'm looking for something that can shoot a higher ballistic coefficient slug, fast enough to be useful. Not really concerned about FPE directly, but realize that heavy slugs moving 900+ are gonna have to carry a lot to do it! The Air force texan in a .257 looks promising, I'm just not a huge fan of the design.

Are there any other good options that have a proper twist rate for a heavy for caliber slug, that have enough umph to push said slug to a velocity adequate for long range? 

Seems like that there is a big hole in the market in this area. I've saw a few custom guns but can't seem to find much in a factory offering... Maybe something in a larger caliber that has the umph being rebarreled to a smaller caliber?

I don't have much of a real purpose for this other than I have a 300 yard range at my house, and I like stretching my guns legs out. I have a Benjamin Akela in .22 cal, and a pellet runs outta steam pretty quick much past 100. Haven't found a slug it will shot consistently enough to write home about.

Impact 25 or 30 with heavy barrel liner in 800mm is probably your ticket....that you can buy and shoot. NSA has the .25 cal 38.5 grain slugs that have 0.11 BC which is pretty good, that's what I would do for punching paper at 300. Can't beat the taxan's 257 BC which is double of what other slugs can do because it's so long and skinny but I totally get what you are saying about the design. 

I have shot my red wolf, 17 and 235 yards. In excellent conditions they shoot really really excellent. MOA. 

I have also shot the 25, but only with pellets. It did way better than I expected and I think it would do fantastic with slugs.

based upon how the 22 shot at 190, it should do significantly better at 235 than the 177 did. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-quick-session-at-dusk-at-235-yards-with-the-177-red-wolf/

I would watch for good deals on a used one.

mike

I have a .308 Texan with a Maddog stock that I've shot for a few years. It's got bone stock internals. I'm inside of 3" all day at 200 yards and better when everything is clicking. One of the above posts is correct in the fact that there are TONS of bullets available for the .308. The .257 Texan shoots just as good, but doesn't have quite as many options for bullets (although there are one or two 'standards' that perform amazingly)

I'm shot side by side with a Slayer and the Texan outperforms it at long range. The Slayer may have an edge when it comes to groups at 150 yards and in, but not by much. One must make a choice between aesthetics and performance: the Airforce platform may not be the looker you're after but it does a better job than everything else out there (in my opinion) If you want the traditional look you can check out Diamond Stocks, the owner, Loren, is a member here. His beautiful work transforms a stock Airforce into a showpiece. 

Everyone talks poop on the impacts but they do so much and can be tune to your specs.

Those people that talk smack on they either never shot one or can't afford one, so they talk smack.

There are more accurate guns out there but not on the same level or or just singled shot riffles.

Who wants to single load when you can repeat with 28 rounds with a .22 impact.

If you look around, you can buy any guns off the shelf but the impacts are 3-8 months out.

I think the demands speaks for its self.

Please get the FX Impact for the all around hunting and plinking around.

Everyone talks poop on the impacts but they do so much and can be tune to your specs.

Those people that talk smack on they either never shot one or can't afford one, so they talk smack.

There are more accurate guns out there but not on the same level or or just singled shot riffles.

Who wants to single load when you can repeat with 28 rounds with a .22 impact.

If you look around, you can buy any guns off the shelf but the impacts are 3-8 months out.

I think the demands speaks for its self.

Please get the FX Impact for the all around hunting and plinking around.

I kinda hated my Impact because of various problems with it killing the fun out of the experience for me. Mainly it was POI changes happening almost every time I got it out to shoot. But going to RMAC and seeing how well a finely tuned Impact can do has warmed me up some to the platform. They figured out how to cancel that POI shift problem somehow. I doubt I'll buy another one though. The only thing I liked about it than most other airguns was the high capacity mags.

I'd rather have a RedWolf personally but it lacks high cap mags.

There's no perfect airgun that's for sure!

Steve123, you are right on there is not one gun to cover all your needs but the impact in my opinion covers a lot.

I'm sorry you got a bad gun or having a hard time tuning....there are going to be a few bad patch of guns no matter how much you pay for them .....the odds are your going to have a few. .....

Out of 7 pcp....I have 4 are the impacts they work flawlessly stock ....the problem is when you push them to the max and customized more than what their ment to be .they start to leak or break down just like a sports car driven hard ..

When I ment the gun is an all around gun I mean on that platform ...there's no gun that can go from .177 to 357 from compact to 800mm will shooting light pellets or heavy slugs and adjusting 10ft lb 300 shot count to a 160ft lb engery 15 shot count ....you would have to have 3-4 different guns to cover all those bases.

Anytime you want to get rid of the impact....I don't think you would have a problem selling it.

Steve123, you are right on there is not one gun to cover all your needs but the impact in my opinion covers a lot.

I'm sorry you got a bad gun or having a hard time tuning....there are going to be a few bad patch of guns no matter how much you pay for them .....the odds are your going to have a few. .....

Out of 7 pcp....I have 4 are the impacts they work flawlessly stock ....the problem is when you push them to the max and customized more than what their ment to be .they start to leak or break down just like a sports car driven hard ..

When I ment the gun is an all around gun I mean on that platform ...there's no gun that can go from .177 to 357 from compact to 800mm will shooting light pellets or heavy slugs and adjusting 10ft lb 300 shot count to a 160ft lb engery 15 shot count ....you would have to have 3-4 different guns to cover all those bases.

Anytime you want to get rid of the impact....I don't think you would have a problem selling it.

A friend/gunsmith fixed it but there were still things I didn't like. It is a versatile pcp. But hey there aren't any perfect airguns anyway and I think I expect too much out of them to begin with.

Adding a stock to texan platform is kinda needed to get everything out from it at extended ranges. Cant go wrong with 257 if single shot isnt a problem.. best accuracy is achieved with external reg feeding gun.

It dosent really feel that weird to shoot with solid stock.

IMG_20211211_133418.1639223602.jpg
IMG_20211211_133359.1639223602.jpg