• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Suggestion for new optic

Hello everyone

I have a benjamin marauder gen 2 0.22 with a gamo 3-9x40

until now, my rifle had never worked very well. i have tuned with this page https://sites.google.com/site/davemyownself/0-22-marauder-tuning-space and it is working so much better .i really recommend this page.

now i m looking for a new scope, i have been seeing the discovery optics 4-20x50 HD and 5-25x50 HD. Also i saw the hawke vantage 6x24-44 and one guy offered my the hawke 8-32x56 Sinder.

Discovery: 4-20x50 HD FPP 450 Dollars, 5-25x50 HD FFP 490 $, vt-3 4-16x44 FFP 390$, 6-24x44 SPF 370 $ and 8-32x56 SPF 600$

I will use this for hunt, eventually field target and long range shoots

What you recommend me?

if you are surprise with the price, not be. i m from argentina jaja

1591712470_16047184055edf9ad66aa096.68088988.jpeg

110 yard 15 shots jsb 18.1 grain

Thanks

I have some good quality optics including Nightforce. I have more than one Hawke scope and more than one Sidewinder. I will have more Sidewinder scopes in the future as I consider them well worth the price. But every eye is different. I'd try to actually look through some if possible before buying.

NIGHTFORCE... you see how he's dealing with over inflated prices for DISCOVERY SCOPES over where he's at? Trying to give the guy a HEART ATTACK? 😉 Yo!

Thanks everyone

I will take the advice and i would try to see all.

i have another question.

Also i can buy any vector

i m seeing the vector taurus 3-18x50 FFP for 500 $

discovery or vector? wich is better?

i have been seing a lot of reviews and both apper to be very good scope

i m between the discovery 5-25x50 FFP and the vector 3-18x50 FFP

Thanks again

Last month got 2 Discovery VV T 6-24 50 @$203 from Amazon. Clarity, AO ease of adjustment, range accuracy, are all very good. Tracking is spot on.Nice positive clicks with push to lock. Turrets feel as good as much more expensive scopes.

The quality build is rock solid. Can see target pellet hole at 100 yards, something many of my other scopes can't do.The included phone camera adapter mount works ok, but kind of a pia, not an easy/quick set up...imo. Took off the blue caps, they slide right off easy thankfully. Not sure what they were thinking making those blue.Not sure how to get rid of the blue discovery on the ao adjuster. To me all the blue isn't a good look, guess some like it...?

Was doing some pesting and a nutter came right up to my bench rest @ 8yards digging away at something... Had the scope on 20x and had to take a shot fast with out time to change a lot of settings. Did manage to get ao adjusted crystal clear at 8 yards,, after a ear hole DRT shot, looking at the dead nutter, could see the fleas on the nutter's neck @8yards 20x.

All in all, imo this was an insane deal for an outstanding mid range, low cost ffp but quality scope. So, as long as you can accept the blue, or take off the blue caps, this scope is a winner for me...

Put this one on my Mrod with some cheap $12 rings. It zero'd in with 6 clicks elevation and windage was spot on with no adjustment. Its held zero for a tin of pellets so far. Ya, not crazy about the red rings either, soon to be changed.

jmo

1591809661_1041192815ee1167d932ec2.73835895.jpg

Yea I actually just ordered another discovery after liking the 6x24x44 so much. The 6x24x50 should be here Monday. Hopefully a bit more light with the 50mm obj and larger tube will justify the extra $65. I just really do not have much money to throw at my hobbies and these are the best for the money in my experience (I have never spent over $300 on a scope for reference)

Geeeroo,

¡saludos desde Perú! 😄

You have some good options on your list. And some horrible prices — I am sorry for how much money they are charging you in Argentina! 😟 (Peru is the same.)

Discovery 4-20×50 HD FFP $450

Discovery 5-25×50 HD FFP $490

Vector Taurus 3-18×50 FFP $500

Discovery VT-3 4-16×44 FFP $390

Hawke Vantage 6-24x44

Hawke 8-32×56 Sinder

Discovery 6-24×44 SPF $370

Discovery 8-32×56 SPF $600

What scope is best really depends on the shooting you want to do. You said:

"I will use this for hunt, eventually field target and long range shoots."

🔶 Hunting? = hurried shooting with changing ranges?

➔ Well, do you want to change your POA (point of aim) using holdoff with the reticle? Or dialing the turrets? Or both?

If you want to use the reticle, it makes sense to get an FFP instead of a SFP.

🔶 Field target shooting? Which type = what kind of scope do the rules of the particular type of FT allow you to have? FT is a complex issue — better determine what you really will be doing — because some FT types limit you to 12x, some to 16x, and others will make you buy 32x or more in order to be able to do more accurate range finding.... (24x is marginal).

➔ If you are set on FT your scope decision has to obey the FT rules....

🔶 Long range shooting? ➔ OK, I assume 100y from your pic.

So..., with the scope do you want to see the target to hit it? — Or do you also want to see your hits on the target? Big difference....

For the first you probably would do fine with no more than a 16x (some would say a 12x).

But to see your tiny pellet holes you'll probably want more magnification, and good quality glass (Discovery/ Vector/ Hawke often have good glass for their price range). (This also depends on how good (and young) your eyes are!!)

To see my hits I would prefer a 24x, but you can get away with 18x, or 20x if you have good eyes.

———————————————————————————————————

Some specific comments:

🔶Discovery 4-20×50 HD FFP $450, and

🔶Discovery 5-25×50 HD FFP $490

Both scopes have very similar specs, so I would clearly go for the 5-25x, as the field of view in both is the same at 4x and at 5x, but you gain more magnification on the top.

🔶Vector Taurus 3-18×50 FFP $500

—— This scope has a 34mm tube instead of the standard 30mm tube. I think(!) the scope comes with a set of scope rings included. But if you wanted adjustable rings, or a different hight rings, I imagine finding that in Argentina will be very difficult.

+ It has a huge field of view at 3x, which is great for rapid target acquisition at close ranges.

+ It has 82moa of elevation adjustment — the three Discovery scopes I comment on only 60moa. If you want to go extreme long range you might need the extra adjustment — or just get adjustable scope rings.

🔶Discovery VT-3 4-16×44 FFP $390

+ This scope is super light and super short — very cool. But you have a heavy rifle to begin with — so maybe this isn't that important to you.

+ It has a wide field of view at 3x, which is great for rapid target acquisition at close ranges.

—— The magnification is somewhat limited for the longer range stuff.

Happy scope shopping! 😄 

Matthias

In that price range I would prefer any of these over the discovery or Hawke. 1 - falcon 3-18x50 FFP - $380. Arken 4-14 which runs about $410 , blackhound 6-24x50 FFP - $399 . Riton x3 conquer 6-24x50 FFP - $570 all these are rock solid.

Thanks to you I just ordered the Rito x3 conquer 6-24x50 FFP, amazon has it at a great price! Not many reviews on it yet but I like all the features and reticle, if it is truly HD glass quality image then it's a bargain!

I was first on the list for the element titan until I saw the 39 oz weight, heavier than the ATN!!! I loved watching Matt's hunting videos and one day I'll hunt like that but extra weight will really hinder my ability to carry it. Canceled the titan and put on waiting list for the Helix because I can't stomach 1500 bucks for Nexus but Matt himself is the one that really helped me understand FFP and how to use it, thanks to him I now really want FFP! So in essence Matt talked me out of his 2 lower end scopes. HAHAHA 

I then ordered the Midas Tac 5-25 but after reading about the Riton I think I'll be just as happy with the Riton and keep 200 bucks in my wallet. Only feature missing for me is lack of yardage marking on parallax adjustment but nothing a few turret stickers won't fix.