Suggested Air Rifle for Garden Pest Protection

Hi folks. New to the forum and taking a crash course on air rifles within the last week when I realized a few squirrels were moving in on the garden. We haven't had much trouble until now and I attributed that to a healthy predator population. Maybe the predators have been taken out, I don't know. I would like suggestions for a quality air gun to be used to take out squirrels. Not looking to break the bank if I can help it, but I have begun to appreciate quality tools as I get older. I also wouldn't mind having a little fun with some target practice. Thanks for your input!

i wouldnt try to combine things if you got a pest problem .. if i needed positive results on multiple garden invaders and there may be some long shots in there out to 50-60 to reach out and touch those aholes, where i expected to have them cleaned out in one or two days i would get the marauder .25 out . .for daily control the marauder pistol is fine ... thats the combo i started with and not much is gonna beat it unless you go high end, which isnt needed imo ...

Depending on your budget, I’d go weihrauch. You’re looking at $500+/- range. The quality is incredible. I recently purchased an HW77 under lever that is built like a tank, and accurate with the iron sights on it. It’s on the heavier side though. They make a number of models, so weigh and power can be carefully picked. I’d personally think of a budget number, and what type of air rifle you like to shoot (break barrel, under lever, pcp, co2, etc) and go from there. 

I know a lot of guys here will say it’s a loaded question. For some, a good quality springer will suffice. Depends on you idea of “not breaking the bank” is. Cheap springers are hard to shoot, and take a lot of time to master. High quality springers will be more expensive, but much more accurate, and sometimes easier to shoot. Springers arent for everyone though. A good mid range pcp would fit the bull nicely, but you need to understand 2 things. You can’t just buy the gun, and some pellets and just shoot. You need a full source ( hand pump, tank or compressor), and if you go the tank route, you need a way to fill the rank (scuba shop or local fd). 
pcp’s are a slippery scope for most of us. You start with one (on the cheaper side) mod it, then buy a hand pump and will be happy for a short time. Then you might invest in a tank, maybe even a cheaper compressor. Then you start buying more expensive guns. Before you know it your simple task of pesting in your back guard becomes an all consuming expensive hobby. Most of us have gone through it or still are. 
im in no way trying to deter you from being part of this hobby and community, but I am warning you that you WILL enjoy it, and you WILL spend more money than you thought you ever would on it. 

my advice, start with a good quality springer. If you enjoy shooting it, and master the hold, try a pcp. You will shoot the pcp much easier, and more accurately after mastering a springer guaranteed. Some will say to buy once, cry once, but if you do, you miss out on all the fun that happens in between.

good luck, and welcome to the forum. 

If I can catch them in the garden, it'd probably be 30 yards or less. More than likely I'll be taking them out in the wood line, which might be 40-50 yards. Before I did any research I was hoping to spend $200 or less, now I'm thinking I could stretch it up to that $500 mark (my wife will think I'm crazy, though).

https://www.ransony.com/collections/airguns/brand_bsa

The Buccaneer is made in England.

Get a Chinese pump, and you are good to go.

A scope, too!

For that budget, keep an ey on he classifieds. There was a marauder for sale there a few days ago that would fit the bill. Also I saw an R9 .20 springer for that also. This way you’ll get more gun for your money than buying new. 
there’s also options through crosman usa using the agnation discount code plus free shipping on Friday’s I think. This puts the marauder at just over $400 if you want a pcp. If you think a springer would do, the trail np might be a worthy option for cheap. 

I agree with Dizzums but if your BUDGET is tight for any reason. Start with the Benjamin Marauder BP2220 Prod + UTG bugbuster 3-9x32 scope and a cheap hand pump. Which should total about $570.00 and get you into the PCP dance with your pest invasion. If you have sticker shock or a tighter BUDGET then grab a springer either new or low mileage check the for sale AGN pages some good deals. 😎

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-marauder-25-cal-camo-2/?view=all#post-1013466

This is some great info. Seems a lot of folks like the Marauder. Looks like I could get one around that $400 range in .22 with wooden stock. Any issues with the .22 and wood stock? I will have to think hard about that. You guys OK with using a hand pump on those? I see a hand pump on Amazon for around $55 Amazon.com : HIRAM High Pressure Hand Pump Air Rifle Filling Stirrup Pump 40MPA, Stainless Steel : Sports & Outdoors

I hadn't even thought about a pistol... I like the looks of those! Will have to read up on them and check the reviews.

I had just about settled on the fact I would end up with a springer. I'll keep checking the classifieds also.

I'm still lurking here and attempting to get more educated. I haven't purchased anything yet, and still waver between a springer or going with the marauder. I'm not sure how I'll like having to pump up the PCP after every 30 shots or so if I decide to do some practice or plinking and I get a little nostalgic looking at some of these nice springers, but I do understand I may not have the skill to be accurate with them.

I also have to answer some safety questions for my wife as far as where I'll be shooting (pretty easy since we're wooded behind the garden and backyard) and storage to make sure the kids (ages 12 and 9) can't get the gun unsupervised. I was already planning on teaching them to shoot soon, so having an air gun that we can shoot in the backyard will be a great first step.

Hi folks. New to the forum and taking a crash course on air rifles within the last week when I realized a few squirrels were moving in on the garden. We haven't had much trouble until now and I attributed that to a healthy predator population. Maybe the predators have been taken out, I don't know. I would like suggestions for a quality air gun to be used to take out squirrels. Not looking to break the bank if I can help it, but I have begun to appreciate quality tools as I get older. I also wouldn't mind having a little fun with some target practice. Thanks for your input!

ATM, I have 2 air rifles laying on my dining room table that I use for garden pest protection:

1. A homemade Crosman 1389: i.e. a flat topped, whole 9 yards modded 1377 w/ a 12 inch barrel and an LDC. It has a Tasco 3-7X20mm scope.

2. A heavily modded Winchester 1977XS w/ a Barska 4X32mmAO scope and an LDC.

Those 2 are more than capable of taking anything that is likely to show up. 

You said some of your shots may be up to 40-50 yards? Here's an idea to cut that distance in half. 

Get a bird feeder. There are some excellent ideas in the current hunting thread at:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/luring-in-english-house-sparrows-whats-a-good-seed-to-use/#post-1015535

A bird feeder will also attract certain birds that will eat the insects in your garden that would harm your plants.

ATM, I have 2 air rifles laying on my dining room table that I use for garden pest protection:

1. A homemade Crosman 1389: i.e. a flat topped, whole 9 yards modded 1377 w/ a 12 inch barrel and an LDC. It has a Tasco 3-7X20mm scope.

2. A heavily modded Winchester 1977XS w/ a Barska 4X32mmAO scope and an LDC.

Those 2 are more than capable of taking anything that is likely to show up. 

You said some of your shots may be up to 40-50 yards? Here's an idea to cut that distance in half. 

Get a bird feeder. There are some excellent ideas in the current hunting thread at:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/luring-in-english-house-sparrows-whats-a-good-seed-to-use/#post-1015535

A bird feeder will also attract certain birds that will eat the insects in your garden that would harm your plants.

The only air gun I've ever owned was a Crosman pump. Are there videos or threads of the mods done to the Winchester 1977XS? It might be a fun project whether it's the answer to my current problem or not!