Suddenly skunks

We seemed to have a resurgence in skunks this spring. I haven’t seen a skunk on cam in two years. In the last few weeks most of the neighborhood dogs have been skunked. Here’s the second one I eliminated in four days.

IMG_4030.jpeg

thursday, i found one in my combine.....he was alive so i slowly moved away.
my grandson threw some hot firecrackers in the collector to try and run him out.
after the 3rd round went off, he said he seen the critter running away from the combine.
i put it back in the barn so he cant come home...... :sneaky:

We seemed to have a resurgence in skunks this spring. I haven’t seen a skunk on cam in two years. In the last few weeks most of the neighborhood dogs have been skunked. Here’s the second one I eliminated in four days.

View attachment 446026
With two you should be able to make a Skunk skin cap. Nice cranium shot, lights out.

@dens228 Did they spray? What did you shoot them with?
Both were shot with JSB .25 cal 34 grain.
Skunk one was double lunged and didn't spray despite flopping around for a few seconds.
Skunk two was a head shot, it dropped without a twitch and I could see a burst of spray in the IR.
Go figure.

Also IL, same thing here with the skunks. All of a sudden they seem everywhere.
I'm hoping my dogs don't get it because I smell one almost every night!
My wife did remark that they have beautiful fur....does that mean I have the OK to buy NV?
Ah, no. I have the OK to shoot them and make her nice fur stuff.
The NV will help with the second part.

Aside from the obvious resons for wanting to get rid of them. Rabbies smell etc etc! They will destroy a lawn looking for grubs! Skunks did a helluva job on the lawn at my friends farm last fall. I was going to post pics of the damage but i guess i deleted the pics cleaning stuff up in my phone. They dig in a little then roll the sod back to get the grubs.

Aside from the obvious resons for wanting to get rid of them. Rabbies smell etc etc! They will destroy a lawn looking for grubs! Skunks did a helluva job on the lawn at my friends farm last fall. I was going to post pics of the damage but i guess i deleted the pics cleaning stuff up in my phone. They dig in a little then roll the sod back to get the grubs.
My neighbors across the street always have skunk problems. Funny how a few hundred feet can make a difference. His backyard is a bit torn up right now.

I’m three states east of you and this has been skunk week here also. Neighbor has texted me twice. Took one out at 115 yards with a gun I’m currently shaking down. Then last night a skunk was at 150 yards so I had to grab my long bomber and clean it out with a head shot. Today was stinky skunk shovel duty. Neither skunk was very big but they sure can make a lawn look bad. I never minded them for years but once they started living under my shed, it started a trend of new ones wanting to live there. So they have to get popped now.

Reactions: dens228
Has anyone else found a difference in post shot spray in head vs body shots?
I'm wondering if it's coincidence or a thing.
I’ve posted this before but it’s been a pretty long time so I’ll do it again. Years ago my dad had a major skunk problem in his neighborhood. It’s a middle to upper middle class hood and there were skunks everywhere at night. I think they were even spraying each other. You would see families of them going in and out of drain pipes. He started whacking them with a pellet gun but the next day all the neighbors were talking about the stink bomb that went off last night. He finally settled on a .177 7.3 to 8.4 grain pellet to the liver region. They would just stumble off, never spray and he said nobody ever complained of a carcass smell. He shot so many that my mom became an expert spotter with the red predator light while handing him the next pellet for a reload. He used a BSA Ultra with a swing out single loader. I don’t live in a hood but I implement his same philosophy. If they are within 50 yards of my house, they catch a body blow from my .177 Lelya. If they are 80+ yards, I hammer them with something wicked to the vitals or noggin. Oh, my dad became a hero to the neighbors that knew he took care of the problem. I think it took two years of thumping. Once in a while he would catch one just right and it would flop over. Then I would get to listen to a comical story about two old timers having to dispose of a body.

One last thing. My dad had my .22 Leshiy for a bit. He said you have to nail them with something that they don’t know they are hit. He only shot one with the Leshiy in the vitals and said it was a spray fest. Then he nailed one in the head and it still stunk but nothing like the vital shot. The 18gr just hits too hard. If you don’t get the brain, they go out guns blazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dens228
I’ve had a huge skunk problem in the past and shot many of them.
I used to always use a headshot and I always had spray.
Then I heard that a heart lung shot works better for no spray.
Since then I’ve never used a headshot and have had much less spray.
The skunk takes the shot and runs off and bleeds out usually within 30 feet.
There’s sometimes a little spray at the bait station at the shot, but every time I go collect the dead skunk I can pick it up and it doesn’t smell at all.
The last headshot I did was instantly fatal and the skunk did a face plant with the tail in the air, but you could see a fountain of spray coming out and my yard stunk for days lol!
So far no spring skunks here yet, but I’m sure I just jinxed myself 😂

Reactions: AmosBurton
The problem with a lung shot is my shed and my deck..........getting under the shed to retrieve it isn't an option, getting under the deck is difficult at best.
Real world problems! LOL
Indeed!! One of my heart shot skunks got under my shop which is built on cinder blocks.
I had to fish a stiff wire under and hook the dead skunk and pull it out.
Same thing happened once with a raccoon that took a 44 grain .30 in the boiler room.
Yeah it’s not the best outcome lol!