Sub MOA How Far = pellets ???

I really enjoyed watching Louis P 12s post on how far we can shoot slugs. And there is no doubt that slugs outshine pellets in the performance department at Long Range.

We’re going to use the same rules. Posting a sub MOA group with a pellet, out past 100 yards gives you bragging rights.

ANY 100 yard Sub MOA group with pellets is outstanding!

A dozen years ago, trying to shoot an MOA group at 100 yards seemed impossible.

Almost 10 years ago, I spent a summer trying to shoot a sub MOA Group at 200 yards. It was ridiculously difficult. It took me three months. I won’t go into any more details here. I was shooting an AZ rapid. I finally did it with my 22. The 25 Kings ran out of juice at about 150.

Fast forward to today. We have equipment that blows the mind. I’ve been singing the praises of the red wolf for quite a while. My 25 is the older version without the high powered board. I shot it one calm day this summer at 190 yards, with Harrys 34 g heavies. I had it on high power which I believe is 50 foot pounds.

Below is a five shot group with a pellet gun at 190 yards. Well under MOA. An inch and a half at just under 200.

I’d love to see how far other guys are pushing Pellets out past 100. 

You have to share your rifle, your set up, your velocity, pellets, conditions, distance, pics etc.

With a little bit of luck, the group below could’ve easily been half MOA. But that doesn’t happen very often.

FDB9B99B-082F-4CE8-ADF1-DAFBCDBDE084.1643473299.jpeg

The aim point shot, was created because I was trying to shoot a fly, at 190 yards. And I missed by an inch. My drawing of the fly is right to the right of the POI. 

9E271477-3E9B-4B6C-BECC-DE92DB03E232.1643477931.jpeg

mike

Great thread Mike! I was thinking about the same thing. We might also want to break down in each caliber(one caliber per thread?) because as caliber goes up the much heavier pellets especially the 30cal will crush the 177 and 22 pellets, MOA group at 100 yards is a given for 30 cal. 

that being said @carboncreative might have the upper hand at MOA for 177 cal. I’m going to see if I can get a better sub MOA group with lowly 22 CPHP and maybe even attempt at 150 yards when the wind is calmer. This could be fun….or frustrating depending who you talk to. 

We might also want to break down in each caliber(one caliber per thread?) because as caliber goes up the much heavier pellets especially the 30cal will crush the 177 and 22 pellets, MOA group at 100 yards is a given for 30 cal. 

Agreed!

I still think we can keep the scoreboard on one simple page.

your comments on the 30 cal are interesting. I honestly have no idea what they’re currently capable of. The only 30 I have is my old original wolverine. Hmmm

mike 

I seldom shoot pellets past 75 yards as the wind around here is inconsistent, and more often than not, affects my pellet groups in a very large and negative way. I am often holding 12 to 18 inches for wind at 200 meters with slugs. So the hold with pellets would be ridicules

Still I have managed a few .22 and .30 Less than MOA groups at 100 yards with pellets.

I did this my second day out with the JSB 44.75 and my new M3 .30 sniper at 100 yards though. So, I guess only time will tell how far the pellets in .30 can go.

I had to go down to the target bin to see what I could find for long range pellet targets. It’s an old box full of targets that were good enough to make it in the box.

As you can see from the date, I shot this 10 years ago with my wolverine 30 caliber. Amazing accuracy. I had clipped the spring just a hair to bring the velocity down to 930. I also took the trigger apart and did some things to make it a bit lighter and smoother. Scrubbed the bore with JSB’s board paste to reduce fowling. It shoots both 30 caliber Pellets extremely well. I’m sure I was tethered even though it wasn’t noted.

I’d love to see someone kick this targets butt with one of the new technology rifles.

Obviously way under MOA at 200 yards with pellets. Utilizing old dinosaur technology…compared to the wonders we are now shooting.

mike

3955EEE0-1A9C-46B1-AB19-A7917E5DD586.1643945151.jpeg
B27DC1E1-825F-4C94-AAD2-CF85C63B055D.1643945152.jpeg

Mike, the top group was about a half inch. Here’s a better picture of it. I’ve been trying to beat it or even match it for over a year now lol. I really wish that I would have kept shooting groups instead of going up to the target for pictures. It was dead calm and my scope was set on 45X so I could see the pellets impact. And when the fifth shot stayed in the group I knew I had just shot the best group of my life. Can’t wait to see what the RedWolf .22 HP can do. I’m getting the blue midnight one. That Wolverine is amazing, and like you said old school! So is this Theoben rapid, I couldn’t believe AZ was selling it to me. I think I’ll be in for the best shooting session of my life when the RedWolf arrives. Not much longer to wait!
33618C5D-DEFC-412A-8D3A-FD8334295F47.1643981959.jpeg

Great thread Mike! I was thinking about the same thing. We might also want to break down in each caliber(one caliber per thread?) because as caliber goes up the much heavier pellets especially the 30cal will crush the 177 and 22 pellets, MOA group at 100 yards is a given for 30 cal. 

that being said @carboncreative might have the upper hand at MOA for 177 cal. I’m going to see if I can get a better sub MOA group with lowly 22 CPHP and maybe even attempt at 150 yards when the wind is calmer. This could be fun….or frustrating depending who you talk to.

Ha ha. thanks qball...Sorry I have been super busy developing and being a slug slag! Ha ha...Doing my low power antics as per..Ha ha..I've just reached out to 250 yards with the Zan 23 grains...So I can now pic back up on going past the 232..Ye ha! 

Super cool post Mike! Love the fly....

So this was my last shoot with the .177, Just got on to 232 for accuracy and shot one group when the snow came in and stopped play!

Fx Impact sub 12 uk spec with tweaks!....Shooting Air Arms 8.4 grain AV 803 fps...Eliment Titan scope EHR with Eagle Vision Scope mounts but added the Kraford & Lypt top rail as well now...That extra MOA for extra fun!

Some live footage..https://youtu.be/jQaMAuUCMfo

Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 11.50.37.1644753517.png
Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 17.23.44.1644753525.png