• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sub-MOA Groups with Slugs! Element Optics Helix FFP + FX Maverick Sniper .25 cal

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/UmTTLvE4zYQ

Not only did I get to test out the all NEW Element Optics 6-24x50 FFP Helix scope, but during this process I also found a UNICORN! The FX Maverick .25 cal in Sniper configuration slinging NSA 36.2 grain slugs at 895-900 FPS is accomplishing something I’ve been chasing for a long - long - long time! Consistent sub-MOA accuracy at 100 yards with slugs in a PCP Airgun!

Here are some quick data points from my testing:

* Regulated at 170 bar first regulator and 150 bar second regulator
*.700mm Sniper barrel - Standard Superior Liner
* 895-900 FPS with 36.2 grain NSA Slugs
* FX Smooth Twist X Superior Liner to shoot both pellets and slugs
* I am getting Extreme Spreads consistently below 10 FPS across an entire 16 shot magazine!

Gear used in this video:

* FX Maverick Sniper in .25 cal: https://utahairguns.com/fx-maverick/
* Element Optics Helix FFP APR-2D MOA Reticle: https://utahairguns.com/element-helix-6-24x50-ffp-pre-order/
* DonnyFL TATSU Suppressor: https://utahairguns.com/donnyfl-tatsu-moderator/
* Atlas Bipods Super Cal: https://utahairguns.com/atlas-super-cal-bipod-w-qd/
* Tactacam Spotter LR: https://utahairguns.com/tactacam-spotter-lr/ * NSA 36.2 grain slugs: https://utahairguns.com/nielsen-specialty-ammo-25-caliber-hollow-point-slugs/

* ERGO Tactical Grip: https://utahairguns.com/ergo-tdx-tactical-deluxe-zero-angle-grip/

* Saber Tactical Adjustable FX Impact Buttstock: https://utahairguns.com/saber-tactical-adjustable-fx-impact-buttstock/

The Helix FFP scope performed flawlessly and being able to know my hold overs at ANY magnification setting will be the exact same makes fast target acquisition super simple. This scope has less than 1% tracking error so you can use clicks vs. hold over knowing your scope will return to a perfect zero every single time. At $479 you can't beat this quality of scope at that price point!

So let's talk about the unicorn I have captured in this video.... MOA and sometimes sub-MOA 100 yard accuracy with heavier pellets on a windless day at the range is becoming more and more commonplace in our sport, but shooting slugs at that same level of precision has been the holy grail. I’ve had glimmers of hope here and there with various combinations of liners and ammo and velocity tinkering, but in all honesty chasing precision slug accuracy has been a challenge.

This just might be the unicorn I’ve been seeking. I actually just stumbled upon this with ZERO tinkering! All I did was take the FX Maverick .25 cal Compact that was sent to me for review and just popped in the 700mm barrel kit with the Superior STX liner. I left the regulator set at the 150 bar it was set at for the Compact configuration with the 500mm barrel. I wanted to see what kind of velocity this gun was getting with a higher 150 bar reg pressure setting with the longer barrel and push the larger 89cc plenum to see what it would do.

So I grabbed a box of 36.2 grain NSA slugs just to get some velocity readings with heavier slugs. I am getting 893-900 FPS over a full magazine with a 7 FPS extreme spread. Not bad at all! So just for giggles I shot a quick 50 yard group not expecting much knowing any attempts with slugs was going to need a full day at the range with my Allen wrenches and chronograph playing with regulator pressures and power wheel massaging.

But then it happened. Holy mother of all single hole groups! At 50 yards I dumped 5 straight shots into one ragged hole. I figured it was too good to be true knowing the danger zone (Top Gun Maverick / Kenny Logins song reference) was that 50-100 yard range where hopes and dreams for Airgun slugs are shattered. So I backed my shooting position out to 100 yards. Group after group I was dropping those NSA slugs into the most majestic series of 5 shot paper punches ranging from an inch down to 1/2 of an inch! Airgun slug ZEN has been reached!

I've got a .25 RTI Prophet and similarly discovered that it *really* likes the NSA 36.2's as well - I'm chucking them "slow" at 907'ish fps but I'm also hitting a 100 yard target not.quite.moa -- maybe more like inch and a half - two inches consistently. ( it could in fact be capable of moa sans the shooter - me ) Come spring time I may re-visit it / tweak it some to see if I can get it even tighter than it currently is. As mentioned - I sort of accidentally discovered (via sample packs) how much it seemed to like them - I got it to "woodchuck moa" and kind of called it a day. :)

We just got pummeled with 40+ inches of snow - Binghamton area here - South Central Upstate NY - so - no shooting happening around here for . . . a while. {sigh}

UNAG, Excellent shooting!!! I am in Awe of my .22 Maverick shooting JSB KO doing the same. These are amazingly accurate air rifles!!!

4 shots @100 (to worked-up to take the 5th, haha) 3" target.

3/8" works for me @ 910fps. These Mavericks are fantastic.

Thanks for all your great videos.

20201209_083620 1.1608438495.jpg

I got this lucky, not with my Impact .22 PP 600mm but with my Gen 1 (with AMP reg) Crown in .22, shooting a 21gr .217 H&N slug out of the standard pellet liner. I was out our range in Johannesburg tuning my Impact for the 27gr H&Ns. I had a few 21grs left over from a test pack. 

Had the Crown with me to test after not shooting the rifle the whole year. I had sold it to a cousin to fund the Impact and wanted to make sure all was still in order before delivering the rifle the next week. It has been laser accurate from the start with 16gr Air Arms pellets at a hot 950fps, consistently grouping 10mm ctc at 50m and MOA at 100m in calm conditions. 

One of our best benchrest shots was there with me and he said he was going to watch me shoot the first few slugs from my Crown through his scope. The second shot went through the same hole, then the third too, to his and my utter amazement. This is the best group I have ever shot. If I hadn’t had a witness, I would not have believed it!!! He saw, as I did, the flash of the slug as it vanished into exactly the same hole. 

The Crown delivers sub MOA at 100m consistently to this day. My cousin is over the moon, as he should be!

This is the photo of that group at 50m.

FB2C4049-C843-4ADC-B079-F7A824B5C591.1608440336.jpeg

Chris, here is the target I mentioned on your You/Tube vid. I started with CF wrapped Brownell's liner in .223 and it was very good! I got the Superior Heavy shortly before they became available to the masses. (Thanks FX and UTAG)! It shot fairly well, but when I remove the choke, Oh Man does it shoot! I was a little hesitant to do it, but very glad I maned up and tried it. LOL

The slug is the NOE CC1 that I custom hollow pointed myself and man is it a winner. It is in two different cavities. One large for vermin, one smaller in dia. and depth for target. 

35.7 gr vs 34.7 grs average. The Superior Heavy FX 600 mm Liner is triple wrapped with Twill Carbon Fiber to produce a full bull barrel. This is installed in my prototype Raptor and set currently at 930+ fps.

The target is 1 shot to settle the reg. and 10 for on target work. Sadly, 80 yards is all I have on my home range. GRRRRR!!!

The target hp's come out beautifully. The varmint versions have to be trimmed as the opening is so thin that it feathers. Accuracy seems to be the same, but the varmint version opens up to near .50 cal. and I have developed a system of putting serrations in the hp cavities that caused them to to shrapnel which is very effective on smaller vermin when you want the slug to open explosively. The mold is two target/two varmint slugs cast. ;<)

Brownell's liner is .223, the FX is .218. I size for the FX to .2184 for best accuracy.

The target is tagged Cherry Picked, as it is the Brownell's Liner. Happily, the FX does not throw fliers as the Brownell's likes to do. It is just flat out dead nuts on!

Knife/Mike

DSC02656.1608471039.JPG
DSC02642.1608471121.JPG
DSC02669.1608471186.JPG

Chris, here is the target I mentioned on your You/Tube vid. I started with CF wrapped Brownell's liner in .223 and it was very good! I got the Superior Heavy shortly before they became available to the masses. (Thanks FX and UTAG)! It shot fairly well, but when I remove the choke, Oh Man does it shoot! I was a little hesitant to do it, but very glad I maned up and tried it. LOL

The slug is the NOE CC1 that I custom hollow pointed myself and man is it a winner. It is in two different cavities. One large for vermin, one smaller in dia. and depth for target. 

35.7 gr vs 34.7 grs average. The Superior Heavy FX 600 mm Liner is triple wrapped with Twill Carbon Fiber to produce a full bull barrel. This is installed in my prototype Raptor and set currently at 930+ fps.

The target is 1 shot to settle the reg. and 10 for on target work. Sadly, 80 yards is all I have on my home range. GRRRRR!!!

The target hp's come out beautifully. The varmint versions have to be trimmed as the opening is so thin that it feathers. Accuracy seems to be the same, but the varmint version opens up to near .50 cal. and I have developed a system of putting serrations in the hp cavities that caused them to to shrapnel which is very effective on smaller vermin when you want the slug to open explosively. The mold is two target/two varmint slugs cast. ;<)

Brownell's liner is .223, the FX is .218. I size for the FX to .2184 for best accuracy.

The target is tagged Cherry Picked, as it is the Brownell's Liner. Happily, the FX does not throw fliers as the Brownell's likes to do. It is just flat out dead nuts on!

Knife/Mike

NICE WORK KNIFE! Those look amazing! 

Chris, I got side tracked watching the vid. Are the Element scopes as impressive as I hear they are? If so, I need to find where I can trade in my German component/Americal assembled Zeiss Scope on one. The 14X power simply is not enough for these old eyes. It is ultra bright. I actually have to wear shades to shoot with it ijn the Texas sun. Even in winter when shooting light brown or white paper backed targets. Blinding! In moon light, it is unreal!

Knife

Chris, I got side tracked watching the vid. Are the Element scopes as impressive as I hear they are? If so, I need to find where I can trade in my German component/Americal assembled Zeiss Scope on one. The 14X power simply is not enough for these old eyes. It is ultra bright. I actually have to wear shades to shoot with it ijn the Texas sun. Even in winter when shooting light brown or white paper backed targets. Blinding! In moon light, it is unreal!

Knife

I have the SFP version and optically it's pretty good but not amazing, however it hold it's own in the 400 dollar price range. What's absolutely amazing on the element scopes are the exceptional execution on details. Everything is simply how it should be and incredibly well thought out, Matt and Ted spent a lot of time on the details and it really shows! THEN, my jaw dropped when I first lined up 100 meter target, dialed according to strelok and hit the target dead nuts center! Never had a scope/turrets even come close to be that accurate(i'm too cheap to buy japanese and german scopes)! Those turrets are true shining star of that Helix! BTW the SFP version is SO well designed I actually don't really have the itch for the FFP, it's really THAT good! 

IF ever I get the itch and money burning a hole in my pocket for an upgrade it will be the Element Nexus.