• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other "Sub MOA all day" Challenge

"Sub MOA all day" is a phrase I think we hear alot on this forum. Most of us take that with a grain of salt as we understand the reality of that all the time isn't realistic. This video was just posted on a thread about long distance with pellets.

It's about Sub MOA guarantees and how most manufacturers only need to shoot 1 3 shot group Sub MOA to meet their guarantee but the reality is its only one group not multiple in a row.

It got me thinking let's do a challenge.
Lets do 4 separate 5 shot groups in a row on one paper/target. Nothing else. No sighter groups or anything. 50yd minimum and whatever gun you got. If you don't have 50yds do whatever your max distance is. I know people practice EBR and do this often at 100yds but this is just for fun. See what our guns and we can do. Especially for those who aren't competition shooters. Let us know whatever gun you used and ammo and speed. Not calling anyone out at all with this, this is just a let's have fun with it and see what we can do.

I'll start with a target I did the other day. Taipan Veteran Long .22 JTS 18gr at 915fps. 50yds. I will be trying this at both 75yds and 100yds when time permits. Probably try my Evol Mini which I tuned to 12fpe at 50yds for fun.

20240509_062323.jpg
20240512_074842.jpg

I can share some 4x5s in the future. I really like the format of sequential shots, either all into one group or of multiple groups, no sighters. Showing all shots taken really shows what a gun can do.

This was yesterday morning at 99 yards. It was taken while measuring BCs and the focus was getting those downrange shots over the Chrono eyes, but it turned into a good group anyway.

10 consecutive shots @ 99 yards, no sighters.
Just shy of an inch, probably something like 15/16"
There are three or four in that cluster at 630 of the 10 ring, and 3 or 4 in the cluster at 9 o clock of the 9 ring.
Screenshot_20240515-145415.png

If scored I think it'd be about a 94/100, using the typical .30 plug. Which would work out to a 235 over an entire card. The gun in this configuration has had some high 230s but has been averaging low 230s so that seems reasonable.

Taipan Veteran Long also.
.22 Monster RDs from about 2022?
Barrel is a 1:32 6 groove polygonal (an RTI "LR").

I can share some 4x5s in the future. I really like the format of sequential shots, either all into one group or of multiple groups, no sighters. Showing all shots taken really shows what a gun can do.

This was yesterday morning at 99 yards. It was taken while measuring BCs and the focus was getting those downrange shots over the Chrono eyes, but it turned into a good group anyway.

10 consecutive shots @ 99 yards, no sighters.
Just shy of an inch, probably something like 15/16"
There are three or four in that cluster at 630 of the 10 ring, and 3 or 4 in the cluster at 9 o clock of the 9 ring.
View attachment 464740

If scored I think it'd be about a 94/100, using the typical .30 plug. Which would work out to a 235 over an entire card. The gun in this configuration has had some high 230s but has been averaging low 230s so that seems reasonable.

Taipan Veteran Long also.
.22 Monster RDs from about 2022?
Barrel is a 1:32 6 groove polygonal (an RTI "LR").
Wow that's awesome! When I had issues with my barrel, I was thinking about sourcing a .22 RTI LR barrel as well to try out a slow twist barrel. Clearly it's shooting very very well.

Reactions: Franklink
Wow that's awesome! When I had issues with my barrel, I was thinking about sourcing a .22 RTI LR barrel as well to try out a slow twist barrel. Clearly it's shooting very very well.

The best I've seen with MRDs, after a hard, 5 year long fight and lots of barrels.

Dunno if it's all "LR" RTI barrels, or if this one is special, but I'm so far very happy with the results.

Reactions: Dairyboy
"Sub MOA all day" is a phrase I think we hear alot on this forum. Most of us take that with a grain of salt as we understand the reality of that all the time isn't realistic. This video was just posted on a thread about long distance with pellets.

It's about Sub MOA guarantees and how most manufacturers only need to shoot 1 3 shot group Sub MOA to meet their guarantee but the reality is its only one group not multiple in a row.

It got me thinking let's do a challenge.
Lets do 4 separate 5 shot groups in a row on one paper/target. Nothing else. No sighter groups or anything. 50yd minimum and whatever gun you got. If you don't have 50yds do whatever your max distance is. I know people practice EBR and do this often at 100yds but this is just for fun. See what our guns and we can do. Especially for those who aren't competition shooters. Let us know whatever gun you used and ammo and speed. Not calling anyone out at all with this, this is just a let's have fun with it and see what we can do.

I'll start with a target I did the other day. Taipan Veteran Long .22 JTS 18gr at 915fps. 50yds. I will be trying this at both 75yds and 100yds when time permits. Probably try my Evol Mini which I tuned to 12fpe at 50yds for fun.

View attachment 464631View attachment 464630

Rightly tighty lefty loosey .

They seem to be made with 18gr pellets in mind . Nice groups. The bouncing around must have helped . Lol

Reactions: Dairyboy
@Dairyboy, Excellent shooting on your part. I will give the format a try when I get a block of free time. I suspect I’ll be the weak link in the four, five shot group shooting session. 🙏
Thanks! I was on that morning usually I'm the weak link too! Again it's just for fun nothing serious!

View attachment 464773
Here are 3 five shot groups on the single target, and then some others shot in the same sitting. JTS 22.07,and JTS 25.39 @ 54 yards. My thumbnail is just over 5/8” for scale. Skout .22 on a low wind morning.

View attachment 464774
All these Skouts sure seem to be shooting very well. My interest has been piqued in them recently.
Consecutive shots at 100 yards. 10 ring 0.485”, 9 ring 1.2 inches. Obviously sub MOA. .30 Skout AEA 45 grain pellets.
I think this one was 6 or 7 shots. Not exactly sure but well inside MOA at 100 yards.

View attachment 464793
Like this also. Super impressive.

Consecutive shots at 100 yards.... .30 Skout AEA 45 grain pellets.
Watching your rings for a while and I started considering a jump with pellets from .25 to a .30 cal this season...
I am holding to this my .25 MK2's for a pretty while, but this all I can do .25 has a limit. The .22 slugs do better and the .30 pellets do much better then anything with .25...

For airguns with pellets 30 yards is probably a good distance and 50 yards for slugs to try for MOA groups for most people.

The funny part of going to public range is most people don't know how to shoot let along shooting MOA groups. But that's public ranges and it's expended as they are not frequent shooters. Go to a real shoot with even just enthusiasts MOA groups aren't that uncommon.

If you shoot enough you can always luck into an exceptional group. But like a golf hole-in-one it doesn't mean much unless you can repeat it at will.

For pesting/hunting my maximum effective range is defined by the distance I can (consistently) 10 for 10 in a one inch circle (the kill zone of most pests and small game) under realistic conditions. For me, "consistent" means that I can repeat that level of accuracy, anytime, no excuses.

For target shooting I shoot 5 shots at 5 targets (on one target face) and average my score. I think that less than 5 shots is not representative and more than 5 shots makes it difficult to determine where each shot went, which brings me to my way of scoring...

Being pesting/hunting oriented I score my targets by measuring the delta from the POA to the POI, totaling that distance and averaging to get my results.

A bit weird maybe but group size is a measure of consistency and accuracy is the measure of being able to hit (the kill zone of) your target.

IMHO, a 1/4 MOA group at 100 yards is impressive but pretty useless if it misses the target. Pesting/hunting is a binary thing - you hit or miss. Close doesn't count.

I believe that the rimfire guys have a ".5 inch target, 5 shots at 5 targets at 50 yards" challenge. Accuracy (hitting the target) is the important part.

I like that approach. Not necessarily at 50 yards, but the ".5 inch target, 5 shots at 5 targets" is a good reference. Depending on the airgun (Co2, springer PCP, pistol, rifle, price point ) and the current skill of the shooter the distance would vary, 50 yards may not be reasonable. Think it would be a good way to plot improvements.

I do shoot for grouping when I'm tuning or testing projectiles. But when someone mentions "accuracy" I presume that they are referring to being able to hit the center of the target (consistently 😉 ).

Any excuse to shoot eh? Fun stuff! 😁

Cheers!

Reactions: thomasair