• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sub MOA @50 with a budget airgun

Hey AGN. Check out my video showing my attempts at sub MOA groups, 5 shots, at 50 yards, with this budget-friendly .177 Air Venturi Avenger shooting pellets!

SPOILER ALERT
It is definitely capable of sub MOA as shown in my video. 2-out-of-3 5-shot groups are sub-moa. Time to push it out to 100 yards.

Pretty impressive! It's a lot harder to maintain 1 MOA at 100 yards though. I've got a handful of airguns that will do it at 50, but I don't think any of them can do the same at 100. My usual range doesn't go out to 100, so I have a lot less experience with that.
Challenge accepted 😜💪

Reactions: Flash_The_Floof
If you can achieve that I feel like I'd have to buy one myself just to have an airgun that can shoot MOA @ 100 for around 3 cents per shot. That's about the cheapest precision shooting imaginable.
Spoiler alert, I've done it with my avenger. Now getting it on video, that'll be the challenge. I've only shot one MOA group at 100. Most of the time it's about a 2" group at 100. I think that's because the 177 is so easily pushed by the wind. If it were in an indoor range, i have no doubt it would be sub MOA consistently

Spoiler alert, I've done it with my avenger. Now getting it on video, that'll be the challenge. I've only shot one MOA group at 100. Most of the time it's about a 2" group at 100. I think that's because the 177 is so easily pushed by the wind. If it were in an indoor range, i have no doubt it would be sub MOA consistently
I'm sure the wind plays a big part, but getting a single group doesn't really imply very much about a rifles accuracy. Shoot 100 groups from a 2 MOA rifle and there will probably be more than one 1 MOA group in the bunch.

I think differences in velocity, pellet weight and pellet size also begin to become more evident at 100 yards as well. A 30 fps difference probably won't cause much change to your POI at 50 yards, but it likely will at 100.

Reactions: OnTargetAirgunner
I have only shot a handful of groups at 100 yards with my budget air rifles (all under $500 new). My most accurate, a P35-22, has given me one 200 on the 30 yard challenge and two three shot groups at 25 yards that were a single pellet wide. I've been tuning my P35-177 and P35-25 to try and get them to this level. Not sure I will get there. I have an original Avenger in 25 and need to mess with it some more.

My input based upon my limited attempts is consistent with the "it's a lot harder" camp. I think I was close to 3 inches with my 25 caliber Avenger and I was slightly over 2 inches with my P35-22. But there was non trivial wind both times so that was a factor, As you note, 177 has a worse bc so it is pushed around significantly more by the wind. I doubt you can get consistent sub MOA groups at 100 but you would have a better chance with slugs. They will move less in the wind because of the higher bc. My gun doesn't like them but some report good shooting in chinese barrels with knockouts, for instance. My P35-25 is more accurate with pellets but shoots some NSA and H&N slugs OK. I haven't tried very hard but finding a slug your gun really likes seems to be a lot harder than finding a pellet it likes, however.

Reactions: OnTargetAirgunner
I have only shot a handful of groups at 100 yards with my budget air rifles (all under $500 new). My most accurate, a P35-22, has given me one 200 on the 30 yard challenge and two three shot groups at 25 yards that were a single pellet wide. I've been tuning my P35-177 and P35-25 to try and get them to this level. Not sure I will get there. I have an original Avenger in 25 and need to mess with it some more.

My input based upon my limited attempts is consistent with the "it's a lot harder" camp. I think I was close to 3 inches with my 25 caliber Avenger and I was slightly over 2 inches with my P35-22. But there was non trivial wind both times so that was a factor, As you note, 177 has a worse bc so it is pushed around significantly more by the wind. I doubt you can get consistent sub MOA groups at 100 but you would have a better chance with slugs. They will move less in the wind because of the higher bc. My gun doesn't like them but some report good shooting in chinese barrels with knockouts, for instance. My P35-25 is more accurate with pellets but shoots some NSA and H&N slugs OK. I haven't tried very hard but finding a slug your gun really likes seems to be a lot harder than finding a pellet it likes, however.
Yeah I've tried a dozen or so slugs and none group as well as pellets at 50, but i did notice the slugs definitely buck the wind better. So by 100 yards the pellets do open up on the grouping but the slugs remain consistent. If it was 1.5" at 50 they are usually 1.5" at 100. We'll have to wait and see I guess.