Tuning Sub half MOA air rifle

This discussion of MOA or sub MOA is silly bc even if a rifle or airgun has the ability under perfect conditions to shoot MOA or sub....can the SHOOTER???? and Can the scope?

Shooting an air rifle is eaiser than shooting a centerfire rifle....but there are .28 Nosler or 7mm PRC rifles that shoot .5 MOA but how many shooters can get behind the rifle and accomplish it??

A rifle having the ability to shoot MOA....and a shooter getting behind that rifle shooting MOA....are 2 different things
Yup. It's amazing what they do with powder burners now days. The picture below is the world record 600 yard group shot with a 6mm Dasher. I own a custom 6mm Dasher that can shoot a single ragged hole at 100 yds, but I could not even come close to what Wagner shot. It takes the right gun with the right shooter.

wagner dasher world record02.jpg

Yup. It's amazing what they do with powder burners now days. The picture below is the world record 600 yard group shot with a 6mm Dasher. I own a custom 6mm Dasher that can shoot a single ragged hole at 100 yds, but I could not even come close to what Wagner shot. It takes the right gun with the right shooter.

View attachment 388567

How about mentioning the accuracy of guided missiles or achievements in outer space exploration.
It is about as relevant.

This is, but for a few exceptions, one of the more interesting and informing threads I've read lately. Posts the quoted and this one are among those exceptions.

I'm a former PB accuracy nut and don't confuse the two different realities.

How about mentioning the accuracy of guided missiles or achievements in outer space exploration.
It is about as relevant.

This is, but for a few exceptions, one of the more interesting and informing threads I've read lately. Posts the quoted and this one are among those exceptions.

The "reality" of my only point was: "It takes the right gun with the right shooter." Whether an air gun or powder burner.

Reactions: KevinWood44

View attachment 388567
MY GOD!!! .3 at 600 yards?? If my horrible math is correct that is less than .1 MOA??! Hard to even phathom that. Now I know why 6 Dasher is popular in PRS lol

Thanks for the info Very cool

Reactions: rappert
It is about as relevant.

OMG someone owes you an apology. HOW DARE we discuss something YOU did not approve of in this thread?? Is there anyway we can make it up to you??
The original point was made in my comment and this a relevant and interesting reply to it. So unless you own this site....you do not get to dictate how the conversation unfolds.

OMG someone owes you an apology. HOW DARE we discuss something YOU did not approve of in this thread?? Is there anyway we can make it up to you??
The original point was made in my comment and this a relevant and interesting reply to it. So unless you own this site....you do not get to dictate how the conversation unfolds.
Yes, I think we forgot to mention a Trident D5 ballistic missile launched from an SSBN Submarine hitting a football field from 6000 miles? What MOA is that I wonder? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: KevinWood44
Can easily bee done depending on ho many shots you want for each group? Is 2, or 3 enough or 6, 10? Modern air rifles are extremely accurate but the pellets are slow to follow. That seems to be the biggest thing holding us back, the ammo consistency. Once that comes in, things will change. Ive seen .5 MOA but not consistently. I shot a 6 shot group last night with the new avenge-x .25 that is 2 pellets wide at 50yds. Ive put 3 in the same hole at 100yds with the same gun but then wind picks up and moves the next few shots. It would be very cool to see, without wind, what these rifles are capable of. I shoot against lots of FX and Epoch's that shoot amazing groups at 50yd and 100yds. .5 MOA.. maybe, depending on how many shots.
Seems the jump from 50 to 100yds is a big one for pellets.

Im ashamed, i had no time to come back this long. Sorry for that.
Anyways, im pretty disappointed with comments. At the beginning it was clarified that we are talking about the accuracy of the RIFLE and not the shooter. The topic is about a sub 1/2 MOA rifle not shooting sub 1/2MOA groups and was also clarified we are not strictly talking about sub12. And now lot of you was discussing and reacting about the wind, BC because of wind drift and shooters capabilities. Guys, please next time take the time and read the whole text even 3 or 5 times again and again if you dont understand it. But think its enought to read it only once but carefully. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On the other hand, big thank you to everybody who tooked the time and read the post and tried to help the discussion with clever and not offtopic comments.
I decided to not really continue this thread in this shape, as i think it would be exhausting to keep it on the right track. I know the forum is to be transparent and help each other, also the people who gonna read this in the future but i would preffer to stay/get to touch with meaningful commenters in DM.

Thank you, and have a nice day all :)
Your opinion of this forum as a resource notes numerous shortcomings. I support your decision to pursue this elsewhere, where perhaps you will find those who are more attentive to your needs. Good luck and have a nice day.

I don't know the specifics of what happened at the Worlds, but I'm guessing many of the USA's top BR shooters weren't there. And my statement isn't meant to take away from the other top shooters that were there.

I meant doubling that .12 BC to .24 BC while retaining Mike N's precision capability in equipment, slugs, and shooter. Half or almost half the wind drift so I assume it'd dominate in 50Y and 100Y benchrest and farther out as well??
At 50y my 42gr slugs out of SURELY show in my ballistic app .4 mil for a 10mph wind from 9 oclock, while the Altaros 60gr Queens shows .2 mil in the same wind.
Then .7 mil vs .4 mil at 100Y in the same wind.
The .24 BC slug has the same wind drift at 100Y as my .142 BC slug has at 50Y! o_O
Hi Steve, here are 22 Altaros ATP Kings out of a custom barrel I had made for standard airgun slugs.

Back to back 10 shot groups at 50y. I have more I can work on. I didn’t put the level of effort into the barrel prototype that I would for a barrel with known performance. Didn’t want to waste time if it wasn’t close. I’ll finish it out and will see more over the next couple months. Was shooting around 900. The disc is .490”ish.

Mike
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg

Hi Steve, here are 22 Altaros ATP Kings out of a custom barrel I had made for standard airgun slugs.

Back to back 10 shot groups at 50y. I have more I can work on. I didn’t put the level of effort into the barrel prototype that I would for a barrel with known performance. Didn’t want to waste time if it wasn’t close. I’ll finish it out and will see more over the next couple months. Was shooting around 900. The disc is .490”ish.

Mike
View attachment 389430View attachment 389431

That's fantastic Mike.
Wow that higher BC at 900fps with the possibility for further improving precision!

I see that this thread was easily "sort of" side tracked. the OP was asking about a rifle ,but at the same time many posters answered with proof targets .
Also answered the question with the answer "yes you can already buy that described rifle :Thomas rifle can be ordered . Other's answered giving information about how to ascertain the information needed to evaluate said rifle , All good answers .