Sub $500 scope for 100 yds benchrest?

Ok, here's my final update: I decided to do a side by side comparison between my Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 and the Athlon. I've had that Viper for over 6 years and love it. I set up both to 24x and focused both as best as I could (given my old eyes) towards my 50 yds target. And to be perfectly honest, they were both very close to each other. I could barely read the small print at the base of one of my cards with both scopes. Both were about equal in brightness and definition. Where there was a big difference was that the Vortex focused my measured 50 yds target with the AO set precisely at 50 yds. On the Athlon the AO was somewhere around 32 yds. Since I only shoot bench rest, that's not going to be a problem for me. Where clarity doesn't improve is when I turn the zoom to over 30x and at that point it's just so-so. Bottom line? I'll keep the Athlon. The Vortex will go on my CZ rimfire bench rest rifle.

Thanks for the honest review Stretch. Keep an eye out for a good used Sightron 10-50x60 SIII.

I've got four of the SIII's. Always wanted a March scope but I can afford 3 or 4 Sightrons for that price. Plus they are made right here in NC.

If you can wait till Thanksgiving. SWFA usually has a killer Black Friday sale?

https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html#brand=Sightron&minimum_magnification=10x

I will definitely keep an eye out for a used Sightron. But now that I'm keeping the Athlon I'm not in a big hurry.

The big caveats, price and magnification. $500 and high magnification is a tough one, not much out there. If you’re willing to spend more… Falcon X50, Sightron SIII-SIV, Vortex Golden Eagle, Delta Stryker, Etc… 

If you can do with 29-30x, there are other Athlon scopes that are far superior to the Argos 10-40, but again, the cost. 

Have a great weekend.

Stoti

The big caveats, price and magnification. $500 and high magnification is a tough one, not much out there. If you’re willing to spend more… Falcon X50, Sightron SIII-SIV, Vortex Golden Eagle, Delta Stryker, Etc… 

If you can do with 29-30x, there are other Athlon scopes that are far superior to the Argos 10-40, but again, the cost. 

Have a great weekend.

Stoti

Exactly!

My FFP Cronus G2 4.5-29x56/$1500 has little difference in glass compared to my FFP March HM 5-42x56/$3500 with both on 29x. It's actually when I decrease the magnification to 15x for both when I can see a definite difference in glass with the March coming out ahead. On 42x this March is a bit disappointing.

So far for using a scope at normal AG distances the best glass I've seen is the March HM SFP 10-60x56 ! It looks darn near like a high end spotting scope when looking through it.

Other than that the FFP Tangent Theta 5-25x56 is also exceptional but with incredible DOF but it doesn't focus close.

I guess what I'm getting at is that one needs to go to specific model high end scopes known for having exceptional glass before one can get that "OH WOW" peer through the scope visual.

BTW I have neither the TT nor the SFP HM March, but wish I did.

Have a great weekend.

Stoti

I probably painted a less positive review of the Athlon than it deserves, and for that I apologize. For about $400 (about the same as the Konus Pro which was only 30x and had crappy turrets) I got a scope that comes very close in quality to my $700 Vortex Viper HST plus I get 30-40x. The big things I was looking for were higher magnification and repeatable turrets, and that's what I got. This scope will work for me. :)

Wow, thanks Stoti.....if I didn't have 4 of them already I would buy it. Very tempting. I paid $750 for my third one used and stole my fourth one for just $550. But the first two new ones broke the bank.

I didn't realize Hard Air had even done a review on them? I'll have to see if they have some other scope reviews to compare.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/sightron-siii-ft-scope-10-50-x-60-test-review/

I think this is an easy answer, however it’s really subjective to each person their likes and dislikes and the options they want on the scope. With illumination not needed I say the Element Helix 5-25. If illumination is wanted I say the Riton X3 Conquer 6-24.

Chinese glass is good from the right manufacturer. I wouldn’t discount it, especially in your price range. I have looked through “American made” Chinese glass and been happy with the results. 

if you can find one, the Crimson Trace Series 2 is amazing in 6-24. It’s Japanese glass and very very nice for the price. Should be able to get one for $500 or used for less.

If you want to say well below $500, Discovery makes really good scopes that will serve you well, but may not hold up as long as the others. I would get this one. https://airgunopticsplus.com/collections/scopes/products/discovery-hd-5-25x50-sfir-dltw-ffp-ir-mil-tactical-optics-riflescope-shooting-and-hunting-rifle-scope-with-illumination-2

Re, Crimson Trace optics, I also was impressed with their glass, but i was emailing with a rep from CT and he told me they dont have an optic that will focus under 50 yds. Do you have different info?

I am unsure why so many people are recommending variable scopes with cluttered reticles designed for shooting steel plates from 200-1000 yards with a lot of ranging involved. Some of these scopes are actual Xmas trees. For the most part other than some occassional March or Nightforce you won't see anything but fine crosshair or fine crosshair with dot with competitors and no variables unless they are those same two brands. If you can't see fine crosshairs with dot then you should probably find a different shooting sport if you actually want to compete. 

Your only real options under or at $500 are a Sightron or Weaver fixed power 36X off ebay. They are inexpensive and if you look at the airgun, rimfire and centerfire nationals you will still see a lot of them being used despite the low price. They mount them on $4000 guns with a $1500 rest and bags. If you look at those lists you won't find any of the variables listed here. Benchrest is actually a simple sport when it comes to optics. It is about POI repeatability and accurate tracking. That is why they use simple fixed power scopes. Bells and whistles do nothing but get in the way. 

I would think you could die of old age before finding a Sightron 10-50×60 SIII under $500. If you are willing to go closer to $1000 there are some other high end fixed power benchrest scopes available. Just my opinion.