• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sub $500 PCP's...Is there a Consensus TOP of the HEAP?

Hey all,

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I am starting to look at many PCP's that fall under the $700 range, which is prolly a tad higher than I can spend, but it's s decent cutoff point to get a good variety of what's out there. I've also started watching YouTube videos of tests. I am wondering if there is 1 or 2 PCP rifles that are an agreed upon best in class at the price range of $500-700 dollars. Or, are there several that are just all in there really close and it boils down to looks, feel and ergonomics of whatever you like?

I did have my mind set on the Marauder. Then I started looking at the other Crosman/Benjamin offerings and the lower priced model they have now that's $300, seems to be a darn accurate rifle out of the box. Lots of good things said about it. I'm referring to the Maximus and Fortitude.

I've also looked at some of the lower priced bullpup designs, which I also like. Those get pricey really quickly though. I can't remember the brand, but I thought I saw a couple that were right in the neighborhood of the Marauder. Are there any low priced BullPup designs that are worthy of consideration at this price point?

Any one I get MUST be backyard friendly and in .177. I could be persuaded into a .22, but I'd rather stay with the .177.

Also, I have read and saw a video mentioning it that there is a bullpup kit for the Marauder. What's the scoop on this? Is it expensive enough to make the Marauder as expensive as some of the lower priced PCP's like the Air Arms 410 or 510, I can't recall which? If it's going to put the cost of the Marauder up into the $750 range, then it's too expensive.

Sorry for all the questions, I know it's a lot to ask. If anyone would prefer to answer via PM or email, that's OK too.

Thank you all for your time and any help you care to give me. I appreciate you taking the time.

Have a good week all.

Larry

I would honestly hold out for a good deal in the classifieds before spending $700+ on a marauder bullpup. There are some great low priced pcp's out there though, have you checked out the game urban or the gauntlet? Not sure how quiet the urban is out the box but it does have a moderator..

I wish BSA still offered the Scorpion SE, it was an awesome gun and it fit just in the range between low and mid-priced. Maybe not quite the build quality as something like air arms but accuracy was there 100%. They come up for sale on the classifieds once in a while and an ldc is easily fitted on the threaded barrel.

Don't overlook the P15. Especially if you don't mind doing a little tuning. I don't think they can be beat for the price. 

If you look at them like a starter kit they basically come with everything you need to make an awesome shooter. Super compact and light weight with more than enough regulated power.

Mine shot 14.3 cphp's about 950 fps out of the box. Now I get about 80 shots with 16grn at 915 fps. They seam to be catching on so I'm sure you'll see more and more on them. I just noticed there is someone making 17 round mags for them now! I rest my case. Lol. 

I would rather buy used from a "known" seller,....Butt I do not think you can beat a Gamo Urban,I use a hand pump to fill it, quiet enough for my backyard,it is a great,fun pcp for the money ,which was $200 on sale online from Walmart;still at $300 I do not think it can be beat it.

Thank you guys for turning me on to this sale !So Urban PCP,handpump and scope=$500...

i have a gen I Marauder in 25. it is VERY back yard friendly with stock shroud system. i did put a light hammer and heavier hammer spring in it. i also moved the shroud off of the receiver block.

the key is to work on getting it adjusted for the pellet you select for optimum performance, accuracy and 'quiet'; mine happens to like the JSB exact diabolo.

Lets just say, there is no consensus on what's the best sub-$500 gun, and never will be. There are always good contenders, but no two airgunners will ever agree (am I right?)

If you are just looking at the gun for sub-$500, than I'd go for a Marauder. Good trigger, easy to work on, good ergonomics, and such. Reliable and incredibly quiet. You can tune (in .177) from an extreme low end at around 6 fpe (new spring, hammer, regulator and such required to go that low) to around 20 fpe, using all standard equipment. about 30 shots per fill, Kind of hand pump friendly. figure 3 pumps per shot and above 2500 PSI, difficulty goes up quite a bit.

It's quiet. Not pellet finicky, and been around in one form or another for a very long time.

The Urban is a good contender, though I personally would shy away from a Gauntlet. Seems you are buying a project that requires polishing to really shoot well.

The Snow Peak guns seem to do well, and the Crosman Maximus and now, MK2 Fortitude seem to be contenders as well. So many choices these days

Sorry....I should've made it clear what my use is. I only shoot paper. NO hunting at all. I'm not opposed to anyone else hunting, far from it, I just don't do it. If I had a place close to me that was overrun with rats like those videos from the UK on YouTube....oh man, I'd be all over that. I'm sure there's LOTS of farms and ranches here in the Houston area that have rats, but it's tough when you don't know anyone to get an introduction or permission. Been trying to find a place to bowhunt feral hogs, but that has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Thanks all, keep the info coming.

Larry

Since u were looking at the Maximus I can tell u this 

if u go with the Maximus hunter and add an ldc (mine has a rocker one on it and its awesome ) the gun will be so quiet that the pellet hitting the target will be louder than the rifle being fired Ask me how I know 😁😁

good luck with your shopping 

pcpfan37

What does....."has a rocker one on it" mean?

TIA

I would suggest: watch on youtube some videos from some YouTube and you'll find that some ones are paid by the traders/builders, so watch independent youtoober either of Diana Oullaw/Marauder/Kral Puncher/Gauntlet/Gamo and you decided the better option for your needs. Look for USD 500 and add a 900 moderator and a 150 good scope. Every one has a diferente experience and will help you.