Styer Challenge Hunting info/advice

Have you attended or shot air rifle silhouette? I was pretty active in small bore (rim fire 22) and high power for years. I'd certainly talk to people who are actively involved in the sport. Steyr makes a nice gun but it may or may not be a good choice for the silhouette game.

In 22 rim fire the Anschutz rifles were used heavily. Probably 75% of the guns used were anschutz. There are significant rules with regard to the weight shape and general configuration of the rifles in the 22 and high power game. I would suspect the same for air rifle.

You better talk to a number of people who are actually participating in the sport before buying anything..

I have had one for about a month, mine is .22. Three things I will mention: First, it is very, very accurate. You will not be disappointed there. Second, it has what may be the best trigger I have ever used, and that is many. Lastly, it is loud! I ordered the silencer adapter with it, and already had a Hogan silencer. It is fine with that, muzzle report measures about 70. Without it, the rifle is way too loud for back yard practice or pest control. With silencer it is a bit long, but if not a woods rifle, that probably doesn't matter. Being a single shot without safety, not sure how they came up with the name. Of course, you can carry it with a pellet in the chamber without cocking it, and working the lever is about as handy as a safety, and definitely safe. Mine is too new for a long term report on reliability, but in talking with a couple of airgun smiths, the rifles seem to be durable. Overall, it is high quality rifle that lives up to the Steyr reputation. 

I have one in .177 and I have to say I am blown away by the accuraccy AND precison of it!

Let me explain what I mean by that, but first consider I have 4 Redwolfs (3 in .177), FX Crowns .177/.22 AND Anschutz 9015 in .177 so am no stranger accurate guns.

Back to the first bit, what I mean is that have no trouble shooting very small groups with all the above rifles, however I always seem to experience slight wandering of the POI and I have unlimited access to a 25yard indoor range with bench etc. etc. so shooting conditions don't change.

What struck me the most about the Steyr is that is able to put pellets consistently in the centre of the target with no as yet POI shift obvious, I cant say if this is down to the way the barrel is secured/floated or held, but most other guns dont seem to do this.

See group below!

1537636067_10767026675ba676e3eed821.35304297_IMG_0086.jpg

What also strikes me is that the holes are very clean (JSB Diablo), this must have somethng to do with the way the pellet is travelling/stability?

Downsides are the gun is heavy compared with others, very loud as above, Steyr advise do not thread the barrel as you may stress relieve the hammer forging and affect the choke, pellet loading is a bit fiddly, I don't like fill probes and shot count is poor if you are used to a bottle gun, trigger is brilliant though!

I am sure you won't regret it if you buy one and yes the only differences are as you say in your post.

As you do not need a competition ( as within all rules to compete) rifle I'm just trying to be a good airgun friend here. The rifle you've picked out looks to be outstanding - I've only fired 1 prototype- I dont know it. However if I were spending "my" money I would call the fellow with the Styer h5 listed in the classifieds here and see how much of a safe quenn it is, groups,stats. And/or I would not order from over seas to save a $ as that is a rig I would not want to work on.

Sounds like your life is set up for some good clean airgun fun, keep us posted.

John

I seen the automatic in the classifieds. I don't want the hassel of finding pellets that the magazine and the barrel like. Later own the auto would be fun but I'm wanting a offhand target gun with fixed 24-30x scope. The auto would not be a plus. 

Im surprised to hear shot count is bad. What type of count should I expect from the 17fpe model. I was hoping the longer barrel would help.

I was really considering Daystate Regal XL but read a lot about POI shifting. I had RAW TM1000 with carbonfiber shroud. It would loosen up some times and have POI shift. I think a plain barrel may be more consistent.

Since I'm only shooting at home the probe won't be much of a problem. I have a metal carport set up in the back yard that I shoot from.

I have last years model, the Steyr 110HP Hunting in 177 at 18 fpe. I also added a 22 cal LW barrel which prefers the JSB 15.9 gr. pellets. The factory 177 barrel seems to work equally well with 8.4, 10.3 or 13.4 gr JSB,s. Trigger is superb as with all other Steyr,s. I obtain 60 shots from a fill with either barrel. Loading is very similar to their air pistols and I find it very easy to insert a pellet into the breach. I used the Weaver rail accessory for a while and then sold it.. I added a 11mm dovetail to Weaver adapter for easy interchange of scopes. The only minus is it,s noise level - quite loud. Nothing that a pair of foam plugs cannot corerct. 

I seen the automatic in the classifieds. I don't want the hassel of finding pellets that the magazine and the barrel like. Later own the auto would be fun but I'm wanting a offhand target gun with fixed 24-30x scope. The auto would not be a plus. 

Im surprised to hear shot count is bad. What type of count should I expect from the 17fpe model. I was hoping the longer barrel would help.

I was really considering Daystate Regal XL but read a lot about POI shifting. I had RAW TM1000 with carbonfiber shroud. It would loosen up some times and have POI shift. I think a plain barrel may be more consistent.

Since I'm only shooting at home the probe won't be much of a problem. I have a metal carport set up in the back yard that I shoot from.

The Regal is a heck of value. I've had mine a couple of years, never had an issue with changing POI, nor heard of one. I have two RAW rifles with his carbon fiber moderators, never had a POI issue with either one, never had one loosen.

And/or I would not order from over seas to save a $ as that is a rig I would not want to work on.

Sounds like your life is set up for some good clean airgun fun, keep us posted.

John

There are several good sources of parts and repair, should not be a problem. And it's reported to be an easy rifle to disassemble and work on, should it be necessary. I haven't had mine apart, beyond taking off the stock to inspect the trigger assembly, but it looks pretty straight forward.

s

I have a Hunting 5 auto Scout, whilst very accurate its not as good as the single shot and its much more of a tin can gun, you find yourself just lobbing pellets downrange for the sake of it which gets boring after a while.

By poor shot count I mean the Redwolf will do 450 shots in .177 at 12FT, whereas the Steyr does 80-100 absolute tops.

IMO though if you buy one an ABSOLUTE MUST is the quick fill cylinder, its a real PIA to have to remove the cylinder to fill every 80 shots or so, probably 50 or 60 in 18FT.