• In order to send private messages to other members, you must have a minimum of 10 posts on the site.

Studying Baffle Designs

;)

baffel.1652224331.jpg

 
Isn't it easier and more robust just to print the internals, and slide them into a carbon-fibre tube? 

I imagine printing the enclosed unit might make it a mess of supports.

I think you are right about that to be honest.

Supports can be avoided by careful arrangement of parts and limits on overhangs. I ran the print last night and it failed at about 90 percent complete because of a dirty nozzle. That strongly supports your argument that sliding it into a carbon fiber tube is where the smart money should be.

As to robust, carbon fiber will win that argument hands down BUT PETG plastic is very strong if you get the temperature right. It is so strong that it is known for destroying print beds by adhering so tightly to them the maker can't get them off. PETG is the plastic used to make soda bottles. The advantage is cost. It takes about $2.50 in plastic to print a moderator. Carbon when bought in meter long lengths will still cost five dollars or more per moderator. You also have the disadvantage of glue ups.

Either way can work just fine.

Which reminds me ... I believe I have some carbon fiber laying around. ;) I shall have a look.
 
I like the idea of the high flow cans, like your hair curler design. I suspect getting the air flows to interfere with each other will be important to a successful flow through can.

That one is really hard to print. Too many overhangs requiring lots of support structure.

The cross bars would need to be angled such that they support themselves. 
 
I like the idea of the high flow cans, like your hair curler design. I suspect getting the air flows to interfere with each other will be important to a successful flow through can.

That one is really hard to print. Too many overhangs requiring lots of support structure.

The cross bars would need to be angled such that they support themselves.

Yeah and the renderer was taking a LONG time to build it. Had to reduce the density of the matrix by half to get that image.

I'll try a different approach after I repair the printer. Looks like an open in one of the sensor points on the bed leveler.

🤬
 
mobaffels.1652298962.jpg


Just playing around with ideas. Looking for something which will print reliably with minimal maint and still work. In this one the scraper cones are not the full diameter of the tube. They are hung in the "hair curler" matrix.

Just a retired Mechanical Engineer thinking and writing:

If the internal baffle assembly is relatively inexpensive to create and manufacture, I’d work on a modular design that eliminates the need to excessively touch the baffle system - meaning, when the baffles become contaminated with lead dust and particles, or the internals damaged; replace them only with a new slide-in baffle assembly. Keep the outside tube and replace the internals. 

I personally hate cleaning up the gray lead dust from around or in a baffle system and it would be great to just pull it out, then replace.
 
mobaffels.1652298962.jpg


Just playing around with ideas. Looking for something which will print reliably with minimal maint and still work. In this one the scraper cones are not the full diameter of the tube. They are hung in the "hair curler" matrix.

Just a retired Mechanical Engineer thinking and writing:

If the internal baffle assembly is relatively inexpensive to create and manufacture, I’d work on a modular design that eliminates the need to excessively touch the baffle system - meaning, when the baffles become contaminated with lead dust and particles, or the internals damaged; replace them only with a new slide-in baffle assembly. Keep the outside tube and replace the internals. 

I personally hate cleaning up the gray lead dust from around or in a baffle system and it would be great to just pull it out, then replace.

Good idea. I figured just make the whole thing one piece and tell the user to wash it in warm soapy water when it needs cleaning.

What I have changed though, is the baffle system is now printed one baffle at a time and they stack. That lets me increase of decrease the length without having several different STL files. I intend to use carbon fiber for the tube in production and will only print the parts needed to make the endcaps and the baffles.

That will also let me change baffle modules for testing. I scrapped that "hair curler" design as unworkable for a couple of reasons. Mostly fragility but it took a long time to print as well.