Tuning STUCK halfway thru' Seneca Aspen/Nova Freedom Pump Repair - PHOTOS

Thanks again Butch for the advice. I managed to get Viton 006 70 Shore, which fit perfectly. I was unable to unscrew the stainless steel tube from the rear movable sleeve (even the machine shop failed and was worried about bending the rod trying to grip it). So I had to stick the small piston into the piston tube (leaving most of the piston rod out), then slide the rear movable sleeve with the steel tube on. Finally I slid on the small brass tube connecting sleeve and screwed it as far as I could with my fingers level with the stainless steel tube. With tweezer nose pliers I was able to tighten it a little further, and it sat just below the end of the steel tube. I finished up by replacing the clear tube, from movable sleeve, tightens it all up and reassembled the rest. I did remove the gauge to make sure there was no debris (I can confirm the gauge is M8 x 1mm). 

The pump worked perfectly, with no resistance in the opening stroke! Unfortunately I had the same issue where it only took 10-15 pumps to get from 0-3600psi!

So again I pumped it up to 4k and bleed to 0 2-3 times with same result, so I tried a 4.5-4.8k peak (I knew the risk and covered the gun in a towel while pumping). Suddenly as it did once before there was a sudden “springing twang” sound and the gauge sprung back to about 2.2k. Again I can’t confirm where the sound came from but I really do suspect the gauge! 

Strange thing is that I found the pumping was harder when it got to the 4-4.5k level, suggesting that the gun was really at that pressure, so I don’t think the gauge is faulty. Could it be in the precharge system? I dare not open or service it until I can get hold of the special factory fill probe. Any way I can get lubrications to that system without releasing the precharge pressure?

I can’t go on the gatewaytoairgun forum as it says I am banned. It’s a common problem apparently. Any other way to get in touch? Really need that probe 😭😭😭

Well, I hate to say it, but that does make me feel a little better. (chuckle)

Of course your problem may be an IP block ban. GTA does do that, so if you don't know why you were "banned", try Tor browser and see if you can log on.

If you can log on and see no ban, then they have in fact done an IP address block ban. A very crude way to stop spam accounts that I thought would not be necessary these days. I ran a BBS before the Internet and a message forum on the internet, but it was with wwwboard. Here it is, although it is no longer active: http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse/wwwboard/wwwboard.htm. No it does not use https, but there is nothing there, that I know of, that is dangerous for anyone. I do access it from time to time just for the memories...

Anyway, back then and without paying for my hosting (the IP provided a limited web presence with their IP service), I had no choice but to do block IP address bans and Country bans to stop illicit and spam accounts from posting pic and other things on the forum. But, I was using free and old software/scripts and my IP hosting did not allow SQL access unless I upgraded to a much higher cost, so the ONLY way I had to stop malicious attacks was to block IP addresses. My inability to effectively manage this with the free scripts I was using is the real reason why I shut it all down. I wasn't trying to make any money at it. Looking back, I should have looked at it as a money making venture and it would still be up!

I would have thought there was a MUCH better way to do it today? Maybe not.

During the time it was up, it was the most popular message board for fishing in North Alabama and I lost money doing it because it was a labor of love.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/hello-2/#post-824628

Viton orings work better than the NBR orings. The size you need is 006. Get a few of the 70-75 duro and a few of the 90 duro. Try the duro 90 first but be careful pushing the piston back into the tube because you can bend and break the end very easily. If it doesn’t want to go in try the duro 70s as they are softer and easier to get the piston back in. Use silicone oil or silicone grease on the piston during assembly. 
Butch

Also be careful not to let the tube, which can have very sharp edges, shave the o-rings no matter which type you use. Actually, the harder they are, the more likely they will get "shaved" while re-inserting them. Just my own limited experience. And YES, the piston end is VERY FRAGILE! Don't ask me how I know...

New member here and limited airgun experience level coming in. This pictorial instruction was very helpful in repairing my Seneca Aspen pump. On the high pressure brass piston I replaced the two larger O-rings with Mil-Spec M83248/1-905 o-rings, hopefully they live a longer time. The smaller inner o-ring I could not match to a Mil-Spec o-ring on hand so I bought the Harbor Frieght kit 67580 and used the on kit #008/P5 id 4.8 x od 8.6 x cs 1.9.

To disassemble the lower (closest to the receiver) desiccant tube holder from the stainless steel inner piston tube I used a large inner snap ring pliers, Matco TP25A and a 4" vice grip on the SS tube. The pins on the pliers are at 90*. It was tight, but that did the trick. 

Reassembly I used Dow Corning DC4 silicone grease and Super Lube o-ring lube. Pumped back up. It took many strokes, 60, to get from zero to 2500psi, paused after each 20 for heat considerations and moving cautiously. Test fired a magazine of ten with the usual 4-5 pump strokes to maintain 2500psi. Seems to function normally so far.

The oiling, IMHO, will not adequately lube the high pressure piston o-rings. The oil just has too far to go to get there. My rifle made it to about 3000 shots with very generous oiling. The factory assembling was not done with mil-spec o-rings and aerospace grade silicone grease so my hope is that I will have to do this less frequently, but I'm sure I'll be back into the pump again.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this repair information. It's been a week and no replies from Pyramyd tech support emails. The phone call was returned to tell me I was out of warranty and perhaps I should have considered the extended warranty, ouch!

Whitz 

1551143623_10224086095c7492c7355542.90582797_579885FB-C8AA-45DE-9A82-E0FF968F9649.png

Yes, I raised it from the dead. That brass piece and 2 check balls are what is giving me fits!!!🤬🤬 I just can't get them to seal. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Used high quality silicone grease and it still leaks.

I know I'm bringing back an old thread but I wanted to say great write up! When you look at the exploded parts diagram for the rifle the clear tube is mentioned that it is supposed to be filled with dessicant. Has anybody seen the tube filled with dessicant when they have opened up the pump?
The exploded parts list is from the original Nova build. They ditched the desiccant a long time again and very few owners have seen it. The ones who have also mostly got rid of it as it is a pain to maintain with little benefit.

I know I'm bringing back an old thread but I wanted to say great write up! When you look at the exploded parts diagram for the rifle the clear tube is mentioned that it is supposed to be filled with dessicant. Has anybody seen the tube filled with dessicant when they have opened up the pump?
This thread will never get old as there is always someone out there who comes across a pump issue with a Aspen/Freedom and looks for a way to fix it.

Follow the advice in this thread. If you have to pay shipping, it would probably be smarter to fix it yourself with the Viton o-rings. There is a wealth of information here. Good luck.
This should prove useful. This is from GTA.

THANK YOU SOUPYYY ;- )

Here is info on the gasket seal ! ....Again from Soupyyy

Here is another set of How To Photos

Here is another post on trigger adjustment.
Spreadsheets

Last edited: