Benjamin Stripped Shroud Screw on Benjamin Bulldog M357

Here we go again! This is frustrating. I went though this same thing a couple of years back on my first Bulldog, except it was the shroud screw toward the breech the first instance. See post #18 here https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...ons-and-fixes-to-benjamin-bulldog-357.922086/
Learned my lesson that time. On that occasion I stripped the screw and then marred the shroud cutting slots into the screw head with small hand files and a dremel tool.

This time on my new M357, I was attempting to disassemble the rifle to install a depinger and pic rail adapter. When I got down to the last few screws, one was stripped. I cannot remove the shroud without removing the screw pictured below. This is a PITA
IMG_2025.jpeg

The one toward the breech removed easily and here’s how the shroud looked beneath and around it.
IMG_2030.jpeg

This is the first time I’ve done anything to this rifle other than shoot it. Now I have to cut slots into the damned screw to remove it. I have contacted the seller about this as well.
I will just have to shoot it as is for now.

Last edited:
Here we go again! This is frustrating. I went though this same thing a couple of years back on my first Bulldog, except it was the shroud screw toward the breech the first instance. See post #18 here https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...ons-and-fixes-to-benjamin-bulldog-357.922086/
Learned my lesson that time. On that occasion I stripped the screw and then marred the shroud cutting slots into the screw head with small hand files and a dremel tool.

This time on my new M357, I was attempting to disassemble the rifle to install a depinger and pic rail adapter. When I got down to the last few screws, one was stripped. I cannot remove the shroud without removing the screw pictured below. This is a PITA
View attachment 385979

The one toward the breech removed easily and here’s how the shroud looked beneath and around it.
View attachment 385980

This is the first time I’ve done anything to this rifle other than shoot it. Now I have to cut slots into the damned screw to remove it. I have contacted the seller about this as well.
I will just have to shoot it as is for now.
id suggest checking some easy outs.. might find one close enough to just tap into the stripped out head and unscrew it.. well that's what I would do.. yes a lot of trouble trying to cut slots in screws.. is it possible that you are using metric Allen wrench instead of American Allen, or opposite? I once stripped a bolt, looked like a Allen wrench but it was a large torx.. I can't tell the difference without glasses and good lighting
mark

Reactions: cavedweller
id suggest checking some easy outs.. might find one close enough to just tap into the stripped out head and unscrew it.. well that's what I would do.. yes a lot of trouble trying to cut slots in screws.. is it possible that you are using metric Allen wrench instead of American Allen, or opposite? I once stripped a bolt, looked like a Allen wrench but it was a large torx.. I can't tell the difference without glasses and good lighting
mark
@markhooper I didn’t strip this one. It came to me this way. The other two were removed with the same tool no problem.

See if there is a torx bit that will tap in with a hammer. That has saved me a couple times. Then chuck the thing and buy new bolts.

Allen
@Healfhservices I may have to try that eventually.

Reactions: markhooper
Still haven’t removed the stripped screw. For now it’s not hurting anything, so I’m in no rush to remove it since it doesn’t stop me from removing the shroud. Rich of @Airgun Revisions was kind enough to send me some replacement screws. I wasn’t expecting so many. He also sent an extra allen wrench.

IMG_2376.jpeg

How’s that for customer support?