Stripped 2240 Breech Screw...

Try squeezing the breech and tube together. Should help to take some of the pressure off of the head of the screw and let it turn a little.

If you drilled down into the screw shank itself, and not just the head off, find something that will fit tight in the hole and epoxy it in. That should give you something to grip to turn the screw.

If it's really bad, finish drilling the head off and lift the breech off. Then pliers to unscrew the rest.

So you have the forward mounted screw, up next to the breech.
Go down to Lowes and buy a set of easy-outs from the Craftsman aisle. The smallest one should fit.
Get a C-clamp while you're at it and squeeze the breech to the tube. Just don't dent the tube.

Edit- Hopefully nobody put locktite on it. I assume you put the breech on and didn't get it secondhand.

Reactions: MJS and swNCsw
Use a Dremel to carefully cut a slot in the head. The used flat bladed screwdriver to remove it
That's a possibility. Thanks I'll check it out.

So you have the forward mounted screw, up next to the breech.
Go down to Lowes and buy a set of easy-outs from the Craftsman aisle. The smallest one should fit.
Get a C-clamp while you're at it and squeeze the breech to the tube. Just don't dent the tube.

Edit- Hopefully nobody put locktite on it. I assume you put the breech on and didn't get it secondhand.
Thanks. No locktite unless they did it at the factory.

Last edited:
I started looking on the work bench and found the one I removed around 3 months ago in a repair for a friend here is a pic of the successful removale when using the clamp that was suggested to you. I hope you are as fortunate as i was in your endeavor.

IMG_20230504_212849960.jpg
IMG_20230504_212906023.jpg

It can be a lil tricky lol.

Reactions: MJS and dv8eod