Stretching design range limits.

I am just getting into longer range for my rifles, but I've been shooting my pistols at their max range and having lots of fun with them for some time. Although I like to compare the experience with long range rifle shooting, its not exactly the same. I'm not using math or anything like that to get on target, just stretching them to the edge. In other words, shooting 10 meter/33 foot rated, pistols, with 400 fps or so, at 84 feet at the moment. I call it their max usable distance, because they're all out of elevation on their sights, scopes, red dots, or blades, all maxed. Its like throwing mud balls, but with accuracy.
To make a comparison to rifles or powder burners I use relative size and range, so I guess I use a little math. For example, my best shoot on film was shooting 1/4 inch targets at 25 yards. That is basicly relative to shooting a 1 inch ball at 100 yards, 1MOA.
I would say wind drift would also be comparable, as I've had crosswinds displace me 3.25 inches at 75 feet. Anyway, stretching whatever your shooting out, is challenging and fun.
Screenshot_20230425_201344_Gallery.jpg

I’ve got a P17 with a Vortex crossfire on it, been lobbing Crosman premier pointed pellets at a 9 inch fry pan out at 60 yds with moderate success. The red dot was able to adjust for that elevation. It also seems to like some Winchester round nose pellets for same use. Just a “sitting on back porch what the hell”, try it thing….

I’ve got a P17 with a Vortex crossfire on it, been lobbing Crosman premier pointed pellets at a 9 inch fry pan out at 60 yds with moderate success. The red dot was able to adjust for that elevation. It also seems to like some Winchester round nose pellets for same use. Just a “sitting on back porch what the hell”, try it thing….
Wow that Vortex has some good elevation. Mine are at near the stops at 25 to 30 yards.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I haven't shot any slugs yet.
I've been stuck on the 7 gr wadcutters because of their crazzy accuracy.
How do the slugs perform?
Good enough that if ever need be; one could pest 10 yards with them on small critters and easily drop them(slugs were hitting a metal backer and even deforming a little bit, VERY loud hitting vs the wadcutters)

Reactions: .20calguy
Good enough that if ever need be; one could pest 10 yards with them on small critters and easily drop them(slugs were hitting a metal backer and even deforming a little bit, VERY loud hitting vs the wadcutters)
That's a good point, but I mostly shoot wasp, carpenter bees, and one mouse so far. If I need more than that, I grab the Sheridan.
I wonder, though, about slug accuracy. I know it cuts wind way better.

That's a good point, but I mostly shoot wasp, carpenter bees, and one mouse so far. If I need more than that, I grab the Sheridan.
I wonder, though, about slug accuracy. I know it cuts wind way better.

Since you mentioned slugs and this is the ELR section of the forum, with some wind reading I got these groups at 100 yards with 12.5 grain NSA @920fps.
IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

The slugs have BC of 0.07 so more than twice the BC of any 177 pellets or less than half the drift at 100 yards in the same wind compared to pellets.

Since you mentioned slugs and this is the ELR section of the forum, with some wind reading I got these groups at 100 yards with 12.5 grain NSA @920fps.
View attachment 362736
View attachment 362737

The slugs have BC of 0.07 so more than twice the BC of any 177 pellets or less than half the drift at 100 yards in the same wind compared to pellets.
My fastest .177 can just about crack 440fps. Lol

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
My fastest .177 can just about crack 440fps. Lol

Then it is unlikely you can get to 100 yards but at least we all know it can be really good at long distances once you get a HP 177 airgun to shoot 177 slugs. If you gun can barely crack 440 with pellets then you probably can barely break 300 fps with slugs, they need a lot more power due to bore drag.

Then it is unlikely you can get to 100 yards but at least we all know it can be really good at long distances once you get a HP 177 airgun to shoot 177 slugs. If you gun can barely crack 440 with pellets then you probably can barely break 300 fps with slugs, they need a lot more power due to bore drag.
P17 will sling 12.5gr NSAs🥴🤣🤙

Yes but if they're accurate they will buck wind better, if I have one of those days. I have had 3.25" displacement in a crosswind at 25 yards.
I don't know that slugs would be stable from a low powered pistol. Its another question that requires research. I like research! 👍

Reactions: qball
Yes but if they're accurate they will buck wind better, if I have one of those days. I have had 3.25" displacement in a crosswind at 25 yards.
I don't know that slugs would be stable from a low powered pistol. Its another question that requires research. I like research! 👍
😅I guess I'll have to see what the Daisy 188 can do now🥴
*my lowest powered pellet slinging pistol

Most 177 barrels are about 1:18 twist rate which needs 900fps to even begin to have enough stability but still far from ideal.

However if you happen to have those rare LW 1:12 twist 10m barrels then it’s totally worth a try.

Anyway, stretching whatever you’re shooting out, is challenging and fun.View attachment 362662
I agree wholeheartedly, I love lobbing pellets out of my current rig to 102 yards. About 34”-35” of drop for the hits. Not to mention “hold offs” for wind. Plinking for fun, of course.