Stressing on 1st PCP

Hello everyone! I'm new to PCP's but an avid shooter (gunpowder). I've narrowed myself down to either an AA 510 or a BSA R-10SE carbine. I've settled on a .177 and really excited to get into it. Here's my problem. I don't know how they feel and all my searching (here and on the web) can't get me anywhere in finding a place that sells them close to me. I live in San Antonio, Texas and my experience has shown fit and form matters on a rifle. If anyone can tell me of a place (Houston or San Antonio) where I can shoulder these or others you may recommend, I would appreciate it. If folks suggest another rifle I'm willing to hear why. I'm looking for a low noise (backyard), tackdriver, .177 cal, regulated, thumb up stock (no thumb hole) and short OAL. Any help is appreciated.

Regards, 

Carl

Check this one out:https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp-rifles/daystate-huntsman-regal-xl-huma-regulated/

~~~~~~~~~~

The Dasystate Regal XL seems to match your desired features. I own this rifle in .177 cal. Mine was purchased before Daystate added the regulator. However, the patented Harper Slingshot Valve system provides a consistent shot string -- about 70 shots, if memory serves me. And this thing is laser accurate.

That said, I would recommend this rifle without the regulator -- and I never thought I would say that about any air rifle. That way you get the excellent performance at $200.00 less than the newer regulated version.

I would have to agree with 2manyAirGunz on the Daystate Regal, but I prefer regulated.

I've shouldered and shot the Daystate Regal. Always wanted one but can't justify it with all the other guns I have. So that would be my choice.

Now of the two you've picked, It's dang close, but I would more than likely choose the regulated AA S510

I had an AA S500 for a couple of years and it was sweet rifle to shoulder as well as easy on the eyes ;-)

1540042421_17163618105bcb2eb506c8e1.12916103_IMG_1230.JPG
1540042482_8138095765bcb2ef2b28976.48885484_IMG_1226.JPG

I've never shouldered a BSA-R10, but I'd be willing to bet it shouldered just as good as the Daystate or the Air Arms. I'm just not crazy about bottle guns?

Get to a match and handle some first , well worth the drive.

TX is large but there are a lot of airgun folks. I cant pull it up right now but try looking for Field Target clubs first. Noit sure where TP3 ranch is but another airgun dealer for you there.

AA's are great rifles. I liked the older model shroud and trigger group even better but there still very good rigs. As your a bp type maybe a used AA 410 would work? The craze for the latest greatest has dropped the price on one used in excelent condiditon to around $500, just a thought.

BSA 10 model , good solid rig if nom bugs present. The originals had rather poor regs, the newest that was just on sale seemingly had contaminate issues causing oring/reg issues. Nothing that cant be fixed with simple parts replacement. 

Your very best bet is get to a match & shoot whats there, learn even more and very likelyt find a deal on something right there or

John

TX is large but there are a lot of airgun folks. I cant pull it up right now but try looking for Field Target clubs first. Noit sure where TP3 ranch is but another airgun dealer for you there.

AA's are great rifles. I liked the older model shroud and trigger group even better but there still very good rigs. As your a bp type maybe a used AA 410 would work? The craze for the latest greatest has dropped the price on one used in excelent condiditon to around $500, just a thought.

BSA 10 model , good solid rig if nom bugs present. The originals had rather poor regs, the newest that was just on sale seemingly had contaminate issues causing oring/reg issues. Nothing that cant be fixed with simple parts replacement. 

Your very best bet is get to a match & shoot whats there, learn even more and very likelyt find a deal on something right there or

John

+1

Do it. You won't be sorry. Promise!

As someone new to the sport, I would second getting to a club or show or store or something to handle some. I have been looking for the last couple months and have been holding off making a purchase. We had an airgun show over here in NC this weekend, and I couldn't be happier that I went. I saw darn near everything that I have read about here on the forums. I had ideas of what I thought I would like, but being there and holding the rifles gave me a different opinion on several I was looking at. It also has me looking at a couple that I wasn't going to look at. And there were many people there today that were easy to talk to and gave me lots of things to think about. As far as finding a club or a shoot, that is always a great idea (coming from 22lr shooting). Many guys are great and are happy to help new guys get involved and it sounds exactly the same in airgunning.

Reactions: CampFussell

John

+1

Do it. You won't be sorry. Promise!

That is a great lead. Thank you Sir. Very good advice.

As someone new to the sport, I would second getting to a club or show or store or something to handle some. I have been looking for the last couple months and have been holding off making a purchase. We had an airgun show over here in NC this weekend, and I couldn't be happier that I went. I saw darn near everything that I have read about here on the forums. I had ideas of what I thought I would like, but being there and holding the rifles gave me a different opinion on several I was looking at. It also has me looking at a couple that I wasn't going to look at. And there were many people there today that were easy to talk to and gave me lots of things to think about. As far as finding a club or a shoot, that is always a great idea (coming from 22lr shooting). Many guys are great and are happy to help new guys get involved and it sounds exactly the same in airgunning.

Now that's a great thing to hear. I love shooting and the people I've met at the range years and years ago were always helpful and eager to help someone. There is just something about the community. Gotta love it. How did you find a show in NC? Did you just google "airgun shows" or conventions? That would be perfect for me. Kind of a one stop shop and ask questions sort of thing.

Carl

CampFussell,She is a beautiful one no doubt. In fact, I would be scared to take that fine a stock out int he field. May I ask why you don't like the bottle system? Is it purely cosmetic or a flaw/issue with the system? Not judging, just curious in case I'm missing something. Thank you.

Carl, no it's purely a cosmetic/size thing for me. I've had an FX 400 with the bottle and it was a great gun. Just seem bulky compared to my Cricket rifles? I probably should have stated I prefer the slimness of an air tube over the bottle guns.

But for someone who is new to PCP's I just don't know if I would suggest a bottle gun unless you have a tank and access to plenty of air? Didn't know whether you planned to hand pump or not is all?

The Daystate and the Air Arms with the smaller air tubes will be more user friendly if you have to hand pump them!

We're all different. I love the Cricket Carbines and have a friend who teases me because he thinks they are hideous looking?LOL

Here's a good pic with my Air Arms S500 .177 on top, Cricket .177 middle and FX 400 .22 bottom for comparison. Sorry I don't have a BSA for comparison. I hear they are great guns though.

1540156436_20611985065bccec14cf1939.42221706_DSC01088.JPG

Jimmy

Dear CK6...do you honestly believe you will stop with one (1) pcp air gun?

Once the "Dark Side" has called your name, abandon all hope. This sport is the "Hotel California" of hobbies...once you check in, you can never check out!

So it's one of those, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" things? Haha, nice.

CK6

Also, don't be afraid to buy a used gun from some of these fine gentlemen on this forum. Three out of my four keepers that I own right now were bought used on these forums. I've had many many guns over the last five years and most of them were bought used or I traded for them.

I can hear Hotel California playing in the background as I type! LOL

Jimmy