strelok pro scope height

I did a search but did not really find an answer. If someone knows of a thread where this was discussed, please place the link.

I know how to measure the scope height above bore when the scope is mounted level, but.....where does one measure this height when adjustable rings like FX no-limits are used, and the scope is canted downward towards the front?
Example, 30 MOA rail, this cants the scope down towards the muzzle. Measure at the front ring, turret or where the reticle is located in the erector tube (if you know where it is)?
Using a ballistic program I realize that scope height doesn't change trajectory that much, if you are close, but does make a difference at long range.

I tend to think that the physical measurement will be close enough regardless of the moa built into the rail. On some guns it's not quite so easy to measure the diameter of the receiver that the scope sits above or to measure the distance between barrel shroud and receiver, etc. I think the best method I have heard described is to put up a target with a dot or other picked aim point one foot or less away from the muzzle and center your crosshairs as best you can on it, shoot one pellet and measure the distance between the Aim Point and the pellet impact. Your crosshairs will be fuzzy at that distance of course but you can center the blur and get a pretty good measurement I would think.

You can start with this measurement in your ballistics software and then adjust it to match your actual trajectory results as needed.

Ok. The only two measurements which matter are the height above bore and the zero distance. This is because the triangle being calculated is based upon the height above bore and the zero range. Once the software has that the tilt angle of the optic has been included. Said another way, since the zero range INCLUDES the tilt angle of the optic, you don't need to include that information for your ballistics program. Hope that helps.

Reactions: JohanG